Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spindle mystery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PoRodder, Aug 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

I have a couple of spindles that were represented to me as 46-48 Ford spindles. They don't measure up right, though. The distance between backing plate bolt holes is 3 inches square, whereas the proper ones that everybody uses are 3 3/8 inch as I understand it. I discovered this when trying to install my new Speedway brake kit and was so disappointed. I got to get this chassis off the shop floor. The spindles and kingpins fit my axle just fine.
    I have looked and searched, but few diagrams show the bolt circle spacing measurements that match up with these spindles. The steering arms are cast on, not bolted, and set up for cross steering with 2 tie rod ends on the right and 1 on the left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does anybody have an idea of what I have? 35 ford? 36 Ford? Hupmobile??

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes those are 35 or 36. Measure the length of the snout and an expert will be along shortly to tell you which of those it is.

4. An easy way to identify 1942-1948 spindles is that the 4 holes are 1/2" diameter. the earlier 1932-1936 spindles 4 holes are 7/16" diameter.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The '35 uses the long spindle like '28-34, the '36 has short spindle that is same length as '37-48. For brakes made for the later spindles 1935 needs the centering ring for backing plate and the spacer to put wheel bearings closer together as sold by every old Ford place, 1936 needs only the centering ring. Both need bolt holes slotted over or if you prefer a fancier treatment like plugging, welding, and re-drilling. The kits referred to are for hydraulic conversion on early Fords and are widely available and cheap.

PS...if you are lucky there will be an ID number forged on there...48 for 1935, 68 for 1936.

Rex_A_Lott and Andrew Mccann like this.