Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spindle Mount Bearing Mystery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34andy, Jun 2, 2011.

1. 34andy

34andy
    from WA

I was told that my wheels fit an Anglia spindle, but both the inner & outer bearing currently in my wheels are larger than the Anglia spindle.

Anglia spindles are 0.984" inside bearing ID & 0.625" outer bearing ID.
    My wheels bearings are 1.063" inside bearing ID & 0.75" outer bearing ID.

I've searched through dozens of threads discussing spindle bearing sizes and still haven't been able to determine what spindle my wheels fit.

Does anyone have a list of the inner & outer bearing sizes for the following spindles?

Early Ford ??? inner & ??? outer
    49-54 Chevy ??? inner & ??? outer
    Econoline ??? inner & ??? outer
    Strange 1.25" inner & 0.75" outer (please confirm)
    Anglia 0.984"inner & 0.625" outer (please confirm)

Anyone know what spindles will fit my wheels?

Thanks,
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. gas pumper

gas pumper

I would make two sleeves with the right diameters to mate the bearings to the Anglia spindle. The inner bearing one a press fit on the spindle and a slip fit on the bearing. The outer a slip fit on both.

How's the seal? same thing there, use a sleeve to mate the pieces.

Iv'e done this on other spindles. And made the spacer sleeves from aluminun for the bearings and steel for the seal to ride on.

Frank

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

econline is 1.25/.75 also...

4. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

the bigger issue is the depth of the wheel with the bearings in. all of these spindles have different lengths. if your wheel is the correct depth you can go down to your local bearing house and try to come up with a bearing that will be the right inner diameter.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Spindle mount wheels were also made for Willys spindles. Don't know the dimensions there.

6. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

What are the wheels? I ran into this with my spindle mounts. Mine are some weird aluminum Halibrands cast in the 90's. I couldn't find bearings to fit and had to machine the wheel. Ended up mine were never even finished machined. We also had to make a spacer for the seal, because nothing off the self would work.

Here's a pic of my wheels.

Attached Files:

7. 34andy

34andy
    from WA

Revkev6,

Great point, I just tried to fit the Anglia spindle in my wheel and it is not long enough to fit the washer, castle nut & cotter pin properly. These Anglia spindles are approximately 3.6" long. I need an axle that is closer to 4.0" long for a proper fit.

Anyone know how long the Ford, Chevy or Econoline spindles are?

-Andy

Attached Files:

8. violet springs

violet springs

This is sketch of a 1940 Willys spindle the large bearing surface is 1.188 and the small is 0.750.
    [​IMG]

9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Anglia spindles are 25mm inner and 5/8 (.625) outer

WHY? I dont know --just is

10. thorpe31

thorpe31
    from nor-cal

A early Ford inner bearing is a 15118 (1.1895 ID) with the correct radius.
    A 15106 has a 1.0625 ID and is same series number.
    From where Violet Springs has 4.062, a Ford is 4.875 and a Anglia is 3.775
    seal OD; Ford 1.565, Anglia 1.253

11. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Anyone ever had any luck with running wheels for Strange spindles on '42-'48 spindles?

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Go to a good bearing house and they may be able to get a bearing that will adapt your spindles to your wheels.
    Most bearing races will accept several different bearing cones. Back when I was working I many times increased the diameter of spindles I had made to increase their strength by seeing what bearing were available for the race in the hub.

Bones

13. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I think the diameter isn't to big of a hill to climb, since the Ford spindle is a larger diameter, but I'm concerned with the distance between the bearings, the length of the taper.

I think the Strange spindle is dimensionally the same as a Gen 2 Camaro.

14. big john d

big john d
    from ma

on an off topic project i had a hub that when putting it on the spindle the castle nut would bottom out about 1/16 of an inch before tightening up on the outer bearing i pushed the inner race out and put two inner snap rings (.062 each) in the hub and reinstalled the race it moved the hub out 1/8 inch allowing the castle nut to properly adjust the bearings

15. big john d

big john d
    from ma

on P-S machine products spindle 3.9 inches long seal to end 1.75 seal surface .980 inner bearing .625 outer bearing these spindles are on a 1960s funny car axle now on my model a