Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spindle mount 12 spoke American mags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1939fiat, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Anyone ever have problems finding tires to fit these rims ?

Mine are 15", and for some reason, a 15 " Firestone drag race front runner ,doesn't "bead' up correctly.
    I read about how to mount wheels, but the bead doesn't "pop" in to place on one side only.
    I've had them off and on a dozen times, with the same results,using soap,vaseline,and bead goo
    Let them both sit with 85 LBS in them, still won't .."pop"

The tires I took off where just ordinary 15" street radial,that went on and off fine..
    what's gives here..where did I go wrong ?

The only thing I saw was the rolled edge on the inside is more on one side than the other..
    Thanks;

2. Church Key

Church Key

I run Michelin 135 SR 15 tires with tubes, on my altered. These were brand new from Coker, but they are repop of an early 60's sports car tire. A lot of altereds ran them back in the sixties.

3. brandon

brandon

i had the same problem with a pair of goodyear eagle front runners ....didn't want to seat up on my 12 spokes...... brandon:D

4. brandon

brandon

forgot to ask if the creitz were going to end up on the fiat....? :D

5. church key; I have a pair ,but there on another set of wheels..didn't want to pull them off...

Brandon;' how ya doing?
    so ,what did you use instead..these are Firestone..Just looks like the bead edge is to high on one side..

6. Brandon..LOL..still got them...saw the Crietz thread from a while back...
    Going on a recreated roadster, along with the potvin blower.

7. brandon

brandon

never did get to use them ....they went south sans the tires....the last pair i had , had some old pirelli 135's on them..... neat old tires....brandon:D

8. I picked up a pr of 12 spoke x18's with dunlops on them..look like M/c tires..hard as rock !, anglia spindle..(future project)

9. well, boys and girls..I took my 12 spoke wheels and mounted 145x15 Cokers on them. Fit perfectly.. so much for using drag tires.
    Thanks for all your help.

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

The deal is that they don't have a safety bead. I was having problems getting mine to center up on the wheels. It sucks trying to balance something that acts like a cam.

What tire exactly did you end up buying? Was it the Michelin radial?

11. roothawg;
    I had a pair of Coker tire Michlen/France tires that i bought several years ago,when I foind out Coker was discontinuing the line.
    Had them mounted on the 12 spokes, without a problem..The drag tires just wouldn't bead up. Brandon had the same problem..

12. brandon

brandon

are you talking about the kleber's....? brandon :D

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have a set of drag tires on mine, but they look stupid.

14. brandon;
    yeah, they likely are,, they have the old michlen pattern..

15. Larry T

Larry T

Rick,
    I kinda like the tread pattern on the NanKangs. Looks a lot like old Pirellis.
    Larry T

Attached Files:

16. Larry;
    Mine were on the old 12 spoke mag..real pain
    those look nice...I would guess these drag front runners would work on any other rim,...