Register now to get rid of these ads!

spider caps ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shootingmonkey, Oct 4, 2013.

1. shootingmonkey

shootingmonkey

Are the base rings on spider caps supposed to be loose once the lug nuts are tightened down? I can't get them to tighten down even after trimming a bit off of the lugnuts.

2. I don't know if they are supposed to be loose but I have yet to see any that were not loose. I usually hold them to my wheels with a little sheet metal screw.

3. Pretty sure they're supposed to be tight. You don't really want them flopping around at speed on your wheels. Mine are tight between the wheel and the lugs.

4. Mine also.

5. Squablow

Squablow

I heard the trick is to put a rubber washer between the spider cap base and the lug nut. The rubber washer (like the ones in a garden hose to keep it from leaking) will squish out when you tighen the lug nut and hold the spider base snug, without prevening the lug nut from seating nicely.

6. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Maybe they are different depending on the wheels. Mine are tight with just the lug nuts.

7. usmile4

usmile4

I got some new lug nuts with a slight shoulder on them and mine are tight. I got the nuts from Advance Auto part #98903.1

8. Mine are tight and I have the taperd lug nuts. If you use rubber anywhere on your wheel it will just melt away.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. shootingmonkey

shootingmonkey

Finding lugnuts was fun. I got the ones with the smallest shank and smallest tapered section I could get. I ended having to trim the washer section of them to get them to fit in the caps, and then trimmed the tapered section to try to get them to seat lower. I really don't want to trim any more of the tapered section.

I was able to acquire some rubber rings in different thicknesses. Hopefully that will do the trick.

10. BarryA

BarryA

Here comes the smartass reply of the day:
    That go for tyres too?:cool:

Surely an o-ring would work if needed - good for 250F or so. I would hope the wheel would never see those kinds of temps?

11. 1955IHC

1955IHC

My tires seem to melt after a jar of shine. I have no idea why:D

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Mine are tight as well. If you don't get those plates on there good and tight then the actually spider cap will make a rattling noise once you attach them to the plates.

Lots of different manufacturer of cap with lots of different qualities. I went with Wirth Custom Automotive and am very, very happy with their quality.

Here's another thread regarding spider caps
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-680521.html

13. Hardy har har. Go ahead and put rubber on the lug nut area and see what happens.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. ditchdigger

ditchdigger
    from Eugene,OR

There are rubber seals in the wheel bearings, rubber seals on the calipers and wheel cylinders and some hubcaps use rubber gaskets where they meet the wheel. Why would an O ring melt under a lug bolt?

A black Nitrile O ring is good to 250, A Viton O-ring is rated to withstand up to 400 degrees.

If a cars wheels are scalding hot there are other issues.