Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods spent the day building a motor with my dad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vicksrods, May 31, 2013.

1. vicksrods

vicksrods

This last Monday,Memorial day.I was able to finally get around to building the 283 for my 65 impala. what was really special about it was that I got to spend the entire day with my Dad in the garage working on the motor just like we did when I was a kid. this car is my very first car my parents bought it for me when i was 16 in 1982 (you do the math) I have been lucky enough to hang on to this car through raising three kids two dogs and 1 divorce. I had it painted about three years ago, it had a ground pounding 522 in it which was cool but with racing gas at 14 bucks a gallon the decision to sell the motor wasnt a hard one. So the original motor is going back in and the car is going back on the road this summer. By the way my Dad is seventy years old and still knows more about putting engines together than I ever will. Thanks Dad for all of the knowledge shared and the great memories of a lifetime of hot rodding.....

I tried posting pics but it wont let me I'll try later

2. sounds like fun , i LOVE working on motors. i'm also working on a 283 for my next project

i learned a lot from my father too , i wish he was still around

3. WornOutOldMan

WornOutOldMan
    from So Cal

Good deal! Always enjoy spending time with my old man. The memories last a lifetime. Kudos to you for hanging onto that car!

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

My favorite times are those when one or both of my Sons is at the shop with me. Sometimes we are working on something but other times we just crack open a couple of beers and hang out. Even if each of us is off in our own little corner working on our own projects it is nice to look over and see us all together, doing something we all love.

Glad you and your Dad enjoyed your day together and I bet he had more fun than you did, if the truth were known. :)

Don

5. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

Those times you spend with your Dad are memories you will have to lean on forever.
    I lost my Dad when I was 2,and my Mom's younger Brother was the car guy in our family,so he got me hooked on old cars at the age of 14. Thanks Uncle Paul ( R.I.P.)

6. williebill

williebill

Good story,thanks for posting. Memories for a lifetime. Wish I could go back and spend more time with my dad.

7. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

I love post like this!

8. vicksrods

vicksrods

thanks for the replies guys...heres a couple of pics one of dad doin his thing on the engine the other is one of my favorites of us mugging for the camera in front of Dads 52 Plymouth Cranbrook

Attached Files:

9. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Man...that is a great pic!!! Very cool post and this is one of the best parts of this old car disease is the time spent together in the shop with family!! Love it and have fun!!

10. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

I think your dad could take ya! :D

11. vicksrods

vicksrods

he probably could ...he doesnt fight fair..:D

12. Great pics. Lucky to have your dad. Yep, memories are made that last forever...

13. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Betcha have a tall uncle.

I'm the same age and I wish my first car was a '65 Impala (and not a '75 Vega hand-me-down from my sister)

Forget that, I wish my Dad was into cars instead of sailboats. You're a lucky dude..

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Good to read a father/son/hot rod thread. It's about the only subject I can't participate in. MY father was absent for most of my growing up years, No, he wasn't somewhere away from the family (although that did happen occasionally) he was gone flying bombers for the USAF and those rare times he was home he was usually too exhausted (20+ hour flights will do that to you) to do anything but catch up with what my mom needed and keep the homestead in good repair.
    SO, I usually tell those that have time with their fathers to make the most of it, the memories will be priceless (or so I'm told:().

Frank

15. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Awww . . That so fucken Bad Ass!!!

16. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

There's nothing like good father-son time in the garage. It's neat you've still got your first car - it's a keeper fer sure! We can sense your thankfulness for a father who spends his time with his son, and speaking from the perspective of a 70's + guy - I'm betting your dad enjoyed it just as much!

Great post.

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

My own Dad died when I was 11 so I grew up with that hole in my life. That is one of the reasons I cherish every second I can get with my own two Sons........it is what I live for. :)

Don

18. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

All you guys are lucky, I thought the only reason to have kids was, having slaves. My Dad never worked with me. He would just point and say, "Fix it!". When I was 11, he told me his '49 Chevy 3100 needed a new thermostat. He said, "God gave you a brain! Figure it out!".

19. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Great post, thanks and enjoy every minute you can with your dad. I'd crush all my cars for one more cruise with the old man.

20. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I miss my DAD ! He passed in 06...

21. I was invited to the floor at work Thursday - Honda Performance Development / Indy Car and LeMans car engines ... My old man would flip! I was trying to be cool but its tough when you are a wrench stuck in a button down.

22. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Any day doing engine assembly, or any other task with your Dad is to be celebrated and committed to memory. I built my first engine at age 15 with my Dad's supervision, and several after. Lost him in '78, not an earthly possession or body part I would not surrender just to spend another hour with him.

23. vicksrods

vicksrods

thanks guys for all of the kind words. Yeah I consider myself blessed to have a Dad that I can still spend time with and enjoy a common interest with. I have passed the car sickness onto my Son as well. all three of us spent this last weekend working in my Son's shop trying to get a couple of cars ready to go to bowling green.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.