Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage SpeedWeekSA 2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BarryA, Sep 24, 2012.

1. BarryA

BarryA

Just got back from the most fantastic roadtrip and weekend!
    1500 miles, breakdowns, dust, and the most fun I've had in ages.

Saturday saw the start of the first South African SpeedWeek at a place called Hakskeenpan in the Kalahari Desert. This is the location for the Bloodhound sound barrier challenge, and the event has been a long time in the making. It has been on and off for a few years with location changes (originally planned at Verneukpan where Donald Campbell made his LSR attempts) and other issues.
    http://www.speedweeksa.com/

A group of 13 cars and 5 bikes set off from Cape Town early Thursday morning.
    [​IMG]

The first casualty was John Jeffery's 29RPU replica which blew a head gasket 300kms out. Roadside repairs got him going again, but the car was dogged with issues including a faulty dizzy and a strange gear selection problem.
    Blown radiator hoses, trailer tyres and a waterpump all had to be sorted out on the first day. Either not being around when they happened or being elbow deep under the hood stopped me getting any pics of repairs.
    [​IMG]
    Friday morning saw the T5 in my '41 saying goodbye with an interesting soundtrack. An 80km tow to Upington and some scouting around followed.
    Hooking up with some local enthusiasts turned up a 4-speed Ford Cortina box with the correct bellhousing. One of the guys opened up his shop, laid on refreshments and was soon elbowing us out of the way and wrenching hard. Chopping out part of the floor, modifying the clutch slave and starter mountings, fitting a different propshaft yolk and other bits and pieces took about 5 hours and we decided to sleep over and hit the pan in the morning.
    Good thing too as the rest of our group arrived to find that the truck with the ablutions had overturned en route and there was no water or decent facilities....

A quick 140 mile early morning run with our 3 vehicles and we arrived around 8 am
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting going took a while and the wind had picked up quite a bit before the first runs. Being the first year the organisers are on a massive learning curve and track preparation is one of the things they hope to improve. They had been most concerned about dust, and had laid down a treatment.
    This made things even more soapy and the thin loose crust soon broke up with passes and spinouts. This combined with fresh sidewinds kept things 'interesting'....
    Runs ended early and we grabbed the last light for a bunch of photos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next morning saw near perfect conditions and those without hangovers put up some more respectable speeds

[​IMG]

http://www.speedweeksa.com/?q=image/tid/8

The best speed put up by the time we left was 321km/h by a Hayabusa, with a Lamborghini Gallardo and various others threatening to break 300km/h.

This pic pretty much sums it up for me:
    [​IMG]
    Not about the speeds we ran, just a bunch of guys having a blast!

We hit the road Sunday lunchtime and pushed through to Cape Town in one haul, with no issues.
    [​IMG]

Definitely learnt a few things and this will certainly be an annual pilgrammage for as long as the event lasts. Need to pull my finger out and get my roadster done though....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  2. firingorder1

firingorder1

Great to see!! In a few years those will be historical photos! Is there a run log posted anywhere?

3. BarryA

BarryA

Thanks! Hopefully the event continues and we can have a few more cars out that are at least somewhat traditional.

Not even sure what a run log is.....lol!
    Seriously though, the event site has a few pics up. Bandwidth is a problem, especially from the 'pan though. Hopefully there will be more info up in a couple of days,

4. You guys are true hot rodders. This is what it is all about.....thanks for the pics!

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

6. sinticket

sinticket

Great photos...as firingorder1 said, these are going to be historical photos one day. Its great to see something from inception!!! Congrats and thanks for the photos.

7. Midget25

Midget25

Looks like a great time, I love your 41. Thanks for sharing.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

9. BarryA

BarryA

Thanks guys. I had three calls yesterday from guys asking how it was, kinda kicking themselves for sitting back and wait-and-see-if-it-goes-ahead. I think next year is going to be good!!

Cheers Midget25! It is a rusty work in progress that I unfortunately pretty much had to do a frame swap on - the original chassis was toast. So I haven't posted much about it on here...

10. Tman

Tman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Thanks for the groundbreaking coverage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please contact Slim at www.landracing.com to get a sub-forum set up there.

11. firingorder1

firingorder1

I wanted to ask if it was an "organized" event with classes, rules etc. Or was it more like the 40s and 50s easy going informal type of event. If it was the latter I'm jealous. Looked like it was a hoot!!

12. BarryA

BarryA

This was only very loosely organised as it was a learning experience for the organisers too.
    About as close to the original lakes as you'd get anywhere today.
    Seatbelts weren't mandatory, scrutineering covered only the most basic items. The only requirement was a helmet, long sleeves & closed shoes.
    I am sure that will change, and of course hoping that no-one gets hurt during the remainder of the event.

Quite a learning curve for competitors too - there is a twin turboed 383 powered RX7 that holds top speed records deep in the 400km/h here in South Africa: best I saw him get was 230km/h. He had to dial back to zero boost and was still breaking traction everywhere!!

13. You guys are doing great things. Good on you! -H.R.D-

14. BarryA

BarryA

Thanks all!! One more:

[​IMG]

John Jeffery has these two out. Unfortunately a series of issues on the '29 meant it only got one run. Not sure why he didn't just put it aside and make a few passes in the '32 though - it has a recently fitted Rover 3.5 and sounds amazing at full tilt!

15. sololobo

sololobo

Cool beans guys, awesome stuff! ~sololobo~

16. gbrown

gbrown

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  17. firingorder1

firingorder1

Great video! But way too short.