Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway vs. Flaming River Vega box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeepSouthRick, Apr 25, 2007.

1. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Speedway lists a Vega steering box for a lot less $$$ than the Flaming River box. Is the FR box worth the extra cost?

Also, I'm considering the rack-n-pinion setup Speedway's listing for 28-34 Fords. Seems like a good idea, but I'm not so sure it would look right on a fenderless car. Thoughts?

2. Shane T.

Shane T.

Rick the rack kit is from Mavel and all you see outside the car is the tie rod itself. The box from Speedway is an ok item. We carry both.

3. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

I like the idea of using rack-n-pinion for several reasons, but was concerned about keeping a traditional look as much as is practical (not like they were using Vega boxes in the '50s!). We're building a fenderless model A & didn't want something that looked too out of place.

You said "we carry them both." Who's we?

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Rick: In the past some of the Vega boxes Speedway sold were Flaming River and their 1/2 racks are Mavel. In our shop we still try to use the Canadian GM boxes and stay away from the South American boxes. More money but we seem to have fewer issues.

5. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

That last thing I need are ANY issues with steering. I'm building this project with my son; after he graduates high school, we're taking it cross country & up Pike's Peak (no gaurd rails). I don't care what the body looks like, but the chassis has to be rock solid.

So what would YOU recommend? I don't want to "pay for a name," but I also don't want to try to save a hundred bucks and end up with a hundred headaches.

6. Canuck

Canuck

Krylon32

Could you expand on the differences between the South American and Canadian boxes and how to identify the Canadian steering boxes?

Thanks

7. The Canadian boxes have a beaver stamped on the front, a maple leaf stamped on the top, and a frog embossed on the underside.:D :D :D

8. Shane T.

Shane T.

Now that's some funny stuff right there.
    Shane T.

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I have had some issues with the FR boxes in the past, mostly leaks and needing adjustment with few to many miles on them. Never had a FR box fail and they took care of the problems, just a pain in the butt dealing with the complaints. I think I still may have 1 in the storeroom.The Canadian boxes are supposed to be the original style GM Vega box made with the original tooling. I haven't had a customer complaint since I started using them. I just don't want to short a customer on quality for the sake of a few bucks. I can't comment on the box that Speedway is selling for 199 I have not had any experience with them, they may be a good deal.

10. i bought a vega box from jegs a few years ago and it was listed as "new" and inside the package it said it was made in canada. borgenson said the older canadian boxes were real good but they stopped making them (or selling them?) and gave me a few places that might still have some in stock.

11. "CANADA,FAMOUS FOR IT'S BEAVER":eek:

12. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

Are the Canadian boxes (is there a brand name?) still being manufactured, and if so, where can they be purchased? Thanks.

-Ryan

13. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

I'll start a separate thread to see if anyone out there knows about the Canadian Vega boxes.

14. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

i just bought a vega box from speedway, and it is a flaming river box! i know it has been said earlier, but i just wanted to clarify, it is the same thing. if flaming river advertises it at a higher price just get it from speedway. unless any alliance vendors can get 'em cheaper....well, and you join the alliance!

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I changed to the North American made boxes because everytime I ship a chassis my butts on the line. I don't like problems although sometimes they are just part of the business. As a side note today I got an E_mail about a steering box on a chassis that I had sold to a body manufacturer 4 years ago complaining about excess play in the box. Only 3500 miles? That box was made a little south of Texas! I told the customer how to adjust the box so we'll see what happens.

16. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I just noticed some shit on the floor from my flaming river box tonite. I havent found out whats leaking yet but it didnt seem to be the pitman arm shaft.. Ill have to keep checking..
    Dave

17. 37 BILL

37 BILL
    from Bristol CT

I know that here at Borgeson, we buy our vega boxes direct from Delphi...can't say exactly where they are produced, but I know it is the original tooling....we are higher in price....but we have no problems....as for as speedway...and thier pricing....they probably buy at a huge volume discount and are under no obligation by law to follow a suggested pricing schedule....thats why as hot rodders we are able to shop around for the best deal....thanks....BC

18. KustomF100

KustomF100
    from Joliet, IL

I can vouch for the quality of the Mullins box from Borgeson. We installed on yesterday on a nice steel '32 5 window, and it drove very nicely.

I would definitely NOT recommend using a Flaming River box. Besides being an imported part, you have to use a Flaming River pitman arm. None of the factory Vega or aftermarket arms fit, not to mention the castings are porous and they flat look like junk too. Oh, their customer service is nonexistant.

Use the Mullins from Borgeson, you will thank me later.

19. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Bill, maybe you can solve a mystery for me.
    I have a couple of Vega steering boxes - from Canadian manufactured cars - that have CAGED NEEDLE BEARINGS in place of the BRONZE BUSHINGS on the sector shaft.
    (the box and cover casting numbers are the same as ones I have obtained from the US)

I had no problem finding replacement bearings - part number of the bearing was available from local bearing supply house.

Is this MAYBE a difference between Canadian and US Vega boxes??
    (or do I have a couple of weird ones??)

As far as, QUOTE - "The Canadian boxes have a beaver stamped on the front, a maple leaf stamped on the top, and a frog embossed on the underside."

NEVER have seen one of those!!! :D :D

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a few shots of a Maval ( Uni-Steer ) installation.
    Everyone says they are great. Unfortunately I have not driven mine yet, but friends that have them ... LOVE it ... That is why I decided to try one. Vegas are still common around here ... so I have a few original GM ones ... on the shelf. I have a original Vega box on my 32 Roadster ...
    :)

From the side ... you cannot tell what the steering system is ... Vega or rack ?? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]