Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Speedway Stromberg 97 on ebay

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by neds29, Mar 28, 2021.

1. neds29

neds29

2. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

It's a reproduction of a Stromberg 97. Probably made overseas.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's nothing quite like a Stromberg Carburetor...and this in nothing like a Stromberg Carburetor! :rolleyes:

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

do an internet search for "speedway 9 super 7"

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like someone beat Speedway at their own game. Their Chinese agreement probably lapsed.:eek:

V8-m and hotrodharry2 like this.
  6. goldmountain

goldmountain

I see that there are also cheap Weber DCOE carburetors available. Wonder if they are any better?

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Spend the money and get the real thing.

8. Fogger

Fogger

Contact H&H Flatheads in Calif for their recommendation. The 97s made in England are the best available and not cheap.

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At that price (about half of Speedway), I might take a chance. The actual manufacturer might have learned something in the process, and actually improved them so they are usable.

Some folks actually like them.:rolleyes:

AccurateMike and seabeecmc like this.
  10. rusty valley

rusty valley

I don't think real 97's are in short supply, why buy the cheap imitation when its questionable?

11. To the OP. Read what it says in the ad title:
    I does not say it's a Stromberg, it says '97 style.'
    It does however specifically say that it is a Speedway 9 Super 7 and fits where a Stromberg fits.

A Speedway 9 Super 7 looks similar and is modeled like a Stromberg 97, but alas, it is not one.

Blue One likes this.
  12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I had one with no problems and some buddies still use them. Other's say they leak and seep.
    I changed back to the 94 to more suit my needs.

AccurateMike likes this.
  13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

14. Gofannon

Gofannon

Chinese copies made by SherryBerg. Also do Rochester B copies and all kinds of other stuff.
    [​IMG]

AccurateMike likes this.
  15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crucify me if you must, but I'm going to buy one for $163 (including shipping) from a seller with a 99.2% rating on eBay. I have been a long-time critic of these based on what others have said, but at this price (1/2 of Speedway and 1/3 of a "real" Stromberg), I think it's about time to find out for myself.

As to the "I don't think real 97's are in short supply" comment, that may be, but if you can find them, a core would probably cost more than this. I know a guy who has a bunch and won't part with one at any price. I've known the guy since 1958, and when I tried to get 4 for a early Hemi manifold I had in my hands about 20 years ago, it was still no sale.

16. 37dodge

37dodge

Let us know how it works out.

AccurateMike and 210superair like this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That barn find finish cracks me up everytime I see it.
    To quote some famous HAMBer's tag line, "Good stuff aint cheap and cheap stuff aint good".

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

There are Chinese parts I will buy but a carburetor is not one of them.

19. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Denny, I think you would be better off taking the wife out for a good steak dinner and a bottle of wine. You might get more satisfaction from it than the carb.;)

20. I am a Stromberg dealer and have a Speedway "Mr. Roadster" account. If I buy 9super7s 10 at a time I can get that price, sell them and make 0 profit. Of course even at the wholesale price I still will use nothing but the real 97s from Clive. Best deal out there at twice the money.

caprockfabshop, Tim, Tman and 3 others like this.
  21. brading

brading

Scott likes this.
  22. carbking

carbking

I have no experience with these.

I do have first hand experience with the imitation Carter YF for Willys, and the imitation Marvel Schebler for Ford tractors. :mad: When we were still restoring carburetors, customers sent this junk for restoration.

Both are very useful.......................................if you have a strong right arm, and a rabbit problem in your garden! :p

Check this link, and good luck! You will need it! ;)

https://www.thecarburetorshop.com/John_Ruskin.jpg

Jon.

23. alchemy

alchemy

You are mistaking the Speedway counterfeit with the real thing. Speedway doesn't sell the real Strombergs.

Happydaze, Tim, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, but at this price "Someone told me" is not good enough. I have to see for myself.

25. I put a new, REAL UK Stromberg on my 40 flathead. Adjusted the idle and buzzed down the interstate at 75 mph with more throttle left. No complaints.

Tim, mctim64, LSGUN and 2 others like this.
  26. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I'm going to wait and see what @tubman has to say. I don't know about these but, I have used 3 on weedeater, generator and ATV, and they all fixed what was wrong with the OEM stuff that was on there. I have plenty of "offshore" equipment that has served me well over the years. One thing I have heard is that things like jets may not interchange. It may not matter, every possible size may may be the price of what 2 jets usually cost ;) Mike

seabeecmc likes this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope, that isn't the one that Speedway sells but is the one that MCtim64 sells.

hotcoupe likes this.
  28. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My take on this is that after almost 10 years of selling these, Speedway has accumulated a lot of information as to the various foibles of these things, and hopefully have communicated them to their manufacturers in China. Perhaps, using this information, said manufacturers have incorporated modifications and updates to the original faulty design and may have been able to bring theses thing "up to snuff". Also, enough time has passed that Speedway's exclusive agreement with the guys who actually make them has expired and they are able to sell them on the open market.

At $163 delivered, I think it's time for me to find out for myself.

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

They’re the genuine item made in England by Stromberg 97.

30. I think you will find you are completely wrong.

Blue One and Bandit Billy like this.