Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Speedway Motors=Disaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Born 2 Loose, May 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Those are modified welded parts , not sure who or where , but I’m sure the have been welded on at one time . Mind you the welds are not welds but just tacks , this is scary scary stuff . Do not modify any thing on steering or brakes unless , you know what you are doing or you have a qualified person modify it for you . Questionable work here spells pain and dollars to me . I hate to say it but I really do not think , this was sold this way from Speedway , or should I say finished for sale this way . Someone played Mater Builder and created a death trap . You are one lucky man .

2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

The lightning holes are No big deal, it would take a lot of downward presser in a 12 to 16 inch length to bend , more then you would apply with your leg.
    The metal thickness looks to be 3/16 to 1/4 . X 1.00 to 1.500

The breaks look fishy , ( like others have said dose not look torn , left or to the right , unless a bad mix ( brittle) .
    If this would have happen to Me , I would test the strength of arm /metal .
    I would put in my Vice on my 1,000 pound welding table & I would use a 4-5 foot pipe & pull trying to bend or break with in reason force more then I would apply with my leg in a fastbHard emergency stop.
    If no more bends or brakes , I would have No concerns,
    Then I would Tig or Mig back on let slow cool & test again .

Op if Speed way sent a replacement ,
    I would test, Those breaks just look
    Questionable.

I have cut & welded ,reshaped with heat on some of Speed way brake arms/levers with no problems (& oem ) on a few occasions.
    On some of there Products (S-W) what ever the gold plating/ anti-rust coating ,I have found some time hard to cut with a band saw (dull the blade fast)

I agree , getting to the wright person any more who understands safety or cares it getting harder to get to @ so many distributors or manufacturers in all parts of our lives,

Stogy likes this.
  3. Truckedup

Truckedup

The OP claims the pedal arms were not welded, just broke off clean like they were cut...Photos clearly show otherwise, they were cut and anyone who works with metal can see that..It's all very strange...

Hnstray, warbird1, XXL__ and 7 others like this.

4. You admit you drilled them so they were not as sold to you. That alone would cause a void of warranty from any company not just Speedway!

We are not getting the whole story here, they clearly have been tack welded. Deny it all you want we can see it.

Hnstray, The37Kid, chopped and 8 others like this.
  5. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

Speedway continues to be a good company to deal with as far as I can tell, still do lots of business with them, yes you got to watch some things. Sorry I think more to this story.

6. mickeyc

mickeyc

From what I can see, the photos are
    That looks like a poorly applied weld that just broke off. The photos are not real clear to me. It appears the weld was just laid on top of the metal.
    A common mistake made by welders with out proper skills. The fact that
    the metal still appears square indicates poor fitment with no bevel. This
    will lead to little penetration. If this came from Speedway directly it is
    an indication they need to have much better control over the products
    they obtain and resell to the public. If you got it from someone who
    modified it after purchase it would be bad but more understand able.
    If Speedway is selling such shoddy products that is a cause for much concern.

seb fontana likes this.
  7. I think I figured it out ... although retired now, you were once known as Superman. Upon delivery of the pedal kit, you used your laser eye to inspect the pedals for metallurgical flaws and inadvertently sliced them in half :cool::D:cool:

Superman-953915.jpg

kasselyn29 likes this.
  8. I all seriousness, those pics aren't perfectly clear but they both sure look like VERY clean cuts, not breaks and both at the exact same spot. They may look like rough breaks to you because you can hold them in your hand and move to better lighting etc but on the internet, both those cuts/breaks look suspiciously clean/straight.

I would also be interested in seeing the replacement pedal in order to verify overall length (to determine whether your first ones had been shortened by someone else) and I would definitely stick the new arm in a vice and see if you can pop off the end that has failed on both other arms. There is a reason they both failed at exactly the same spot ... either it's something someone else has done then tried to cover up or it has to do with the manufacturing of the part, or possibly the quality of the metal used. A chassis shop I used to frequent once got a run of 1 3/4 x .134 tube that split at the seam when bent (they weren't using DOM for everything) but if those pedals were cut from plate ... I can't imagine plate steel having a seam that could fail like that.

9. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I always wonder about the strength of some of these aftermarket parts....Most of them don't have the money to test parts like the car companies do....Wheels especially....

10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

If those are 1 piece, not cut, not welded, then what is this?
    SANY1374.JPG
    Do you realize the probability of a steel part breaking in a clean line like that? Do you realize the probability of it happening twice?

11. I'm not a college educated metalurgist and without holding it in my hand I can't decide if it had been welded or just bent but just simply looking at the catalog pictures of this particular setup I wouldn't have bought it. The steel used appears to be much thinner guage that what would be appropriate for something as important as a brake pedal. It belongs on a child's go kart.

harpo1313 likes this.
  12. Jay McDonald

Jay McDonald

No way this story is right, I'm calling bullshit right now.

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I can't help but agree with those who are saying this assembly was cut and welded, and I doubt it was done by Speedway, or their supplier. More likely they got it back as a return, and whoever inspects returns didn't see the modification either, so they put it back in the box and restocked it.
    I wouldn't worry about another being defective like this, as I doubt there is another they have that's been modified.
    As for modifying clutch and brake arms, I've done some myself, and never had an issue. I've had to heat and bend arms to get pedals where I wanted them. I've also cut off pedals, and welded on different pedals to get rid of modern looking square pedals to go to round pedals. One of them I modified is 11 years old now, and never bent, or broke. I'm not scared of doing this, as I trust my work.

14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I don’t want to bash anyone ,I just want to stress the importance of doing quality fab work . Someone’s life could be the end result of this type of work . No matter where it came from or who did it , God just gave you a gift . Use it to your advantage and DO NOT do this again . You are not given the nine life’s of a cat .

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  15. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

True, born 2 loose seems to have vacated the convo...

Hnstray likes this.
  16. "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT" Except here, he is completely oblivious and wrong

17. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Opinion:
    -These parts were cut and welded by some previous purchaser. Obviously not beveled for penetration, probably welded with a 110 v. mig welder right over the yellow zinc plating ("gold plating"), then ground till "pretty", which removed 98% of the "weld bead".
    -The ad says 1/4" thick material, which IMO is not strong enough for a long, spindly pedal like that. All the pedals I've made, and all the OEM ones I've modified have been 3/8" thick or better. And yes, lots of original early Ford pedals are a smaller section than the Speedway stuff, but they're forged, which makes them much stronger that a part laser cut from 1/4" HRPO steel.

Fact:
    A couple years ago I bought a pair of Currie nine inch Ford axles from Speedway. One was new, the other came from their Garage Sale department. The new one arrived with the axle bearing, retainer and lug studs in a separate package, to be assembled by the purchaser. The garage sale item was badly "assembled"- the previous owner had pressed the bearing and retainer part way on, probably ran out of tonnage with their Hobo Freight bottle jack press, then proceded to press/ hammer the lug studs into the flange cockeyed, which buggered up the studs. I called Speedway, regardless of the fact that Garage Sale items are supposed to be final sale, they offered to take the bad axle back. Instead, at my request they sent me a new set of lug studs at no charge, and I properly assembled the axle.
    The point here is, apparently anything returned to Speedway goes into the Garage Sale department with little or no inspection. Scary shite.

Tman likes this.
  18. 34Larry

34Larry

My take.
    Fitter/welder iron worker, lead fabricator for over 25 years, manufacturing engineer (ME), 30 years, ME instructor thrown in through those years.

The ends appears to resemble any sheared end of flat bar that I worked with or saw in those years. My take in just looking the pictures is both edges were tacked, (as said by others), at only the sides and sent on there way to production welders to weld the seam on both sides. (And by the way Boeing would have never allowed a two part, part, spec's would have demanded a bent part.)
    I think I see such a tack on the edge of the one with the holes drilled in it. I've seen this done in production vendor shops time and time again. People fitting parts together, (fitters not welders,) and just tacking them are not required to be certified, (unless call for in the contract signed with the customer calls for it). Certified welders hate welding over sloppy tacks and want the fitters to tack where they don't have to do that. . So the FB was tacked on the sides, and could have slipped through the production madness that so often takes place in mass
    production shops everywhere, missing the welder stop, thrown in a container of welded parts and sent on there way.
    I spent two years on the east coast inspecting parts and fabrication of parts, (Boeing aircraft), at vendors assessing their compliance with spec's and believe me I have seen some slip shod stuff in doing that.

As almost anyone here knows these seams should have been beveled to a 45 degree with a small landing at each side, properly welded, and perhaps tested for strength at certain points in production to assure safety needs. Butt welding these is not something I would have approved, no matter how much that vendor might protest saying flat positioning welding will produce proper pentation.

It is more than obvious to me, after being the victim of shoddy welded parts my self on the spreader bars, (twice), that Speedway is not trustworthy when it comes to parts that need welding. This is a thousand times worse than my experience of pin holes and undercut welds, because of the safety aspect. They neither have the trained people who know inferior welding or care that they are sending bad parts to their customers.
    What you see below is my brake pedal modification for my34 100_1735.jpg with three welded joints. Each on was done by me as I described above. I ground each one flush, put the pedal in my shop vice and tested it with a hammer at each weld.

5window likes this.
  19. 40Vert

40Vert

I bought a set of Classic Instruments gauges from Speedway. It arrived in the original CI packinging, no outer box or packaging and I could tell by the rattle in the box, something was wrong. The speedo needle had broken off. Speedway offered to send me a replacement needle, but basically unfixable by me without tearing it up. I returned the whole set. Bought it from Summit, and it arrived packaged correctly. And the gauges I returned, appeared in the Speedway Garage Sale and at first, they didn't disclose the broken speedo, until I contacted them. Still available.

Beanscoot likes this.

20. I am with you 34 Larry

Been a fabricator for over 40 years and your comment is dead nuts on.
    Vic

21. Except you are wrong. Those pedals from Speedway are simply bent at the bottom to make a perch for the pad. That is how they are designed to save the extra step of welding and the liability that comes with a weld. I have seen dozens of them over the years. None were welded.

Hnstray, ottoman, 210superair and 6 others like this.
  22. First, if it broke off that easily you never would of gotten it out the garage before breaking.
    I would of liked to see the parts before you painted them. They are said to be zinc coated and one piece. If not, wouldn’t it be obvious there was a separation/joint ?
    If they were glued/siliconed the zinc would not cover the joint. A fragile joint like what is described would not have made the trip to SC without breaking in the box. UPS FedX USPO, they ain’t gentle.
    It just does not add up for me.
    So who did this ? The mfg ? the/a purchaser ? (no accusation) Not Speedway, they are middle men.
    And if these are China made, well, what do you expect ?
    But, we’ll never know, the op is gone.

23. 6sally6

6sally6

Maybe that is how Speedway designed them but......."somebody" along the way cut/sheared them and did a crappy job of welding them together!
    Steel does NOT break that straight in the same place(both pieces) as these did!
    IF...... the clown that 'tried' to weld them had only....left a small gap or at least beveled the two pieces, none of this discussion would be happening. You can NOT butt two pieces together....weld it...and then grind it flush...and expect it to hold up....period!
    6sally6

deathrowdave and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  24. Totally, they were cut and welded AFTER production and not by Speedway. It is so obvious I can't see how you could even argue it.

Hnstray, ottoman, 210superair and 4 others like this.
  25. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

If this indeed was the pedal assembly in question, I don't see how these could possibly be all-bent construction at this point. Original design musta been from an el bracket like unistrut.

welded.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Buy your swing pedals from a company that takes the safety of the customer seriously. R J"S Speed Shop. Never had a failure to date and have used several sets. They don't need any cutting or adjustments.

kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  27. XXL__

XXL__

Flat piece of steel cut into a J shape. End bent the easy way to a 90. Done. Nothing inside your red circle gets bent.

Hnstray, egads, Halfdozen and 5 others like this.
  28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Doesn't it appear there is extra metal, or something, hanging down around the perimeter? Other one too.

Screenshot 2021-05-30 12.24.08 PM.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.