Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway low-buck radiators for a '32?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Morrisman, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I'm planning on buying a rad for the '32 when I come across the pond to New York next month. Speedway do a couple at a reasonable costs, so, anybody know which one would be the one to go for?

This: Item #: 9175160, Price: $274.99 EA 27" Tall 19" wide

[​IMG]

Or this? UNIVERSAL ALUMINUM RADIATOR, 26" Tall, 16" Wide, Item #: 9175163 Price: $329.99 EA

[​IMG]

One is bigger, yet cheaper, one has the filler on top, which looks better than the in line filler in the top hose, so, decisions. Anybody used one? Will a 19" wide rad fit a '32 grill shell?

Or are they cheap junk? :(

I'm running an FE 390 motor.

2. Larry T

Larry T

I'm not saying they're cheap junk, but be aware of what you're buying and then decide.
    From another post about Speedway/Total Performance.

http://www.wysco.com/

Larry T

3. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Well, that is why I'm asking here, to find out some information about what I'm thinking of buying.

Is that wysco link to lead me to rads, cos all they seem to have is muscle car stuff.

4. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Walker.......

5. Ice man

Ice man

I'm on my second Walker, never had a complaint. Install em and forget em. I don't like suprises, and when your dealing with cooling the old girl, it aint worth nit picking over money. Things crack, water goes where it ain't supposed to go and water is always a problem if you have it where you don't want it. Spend it on a good rad, nit pick on some blng. Ice man

6. Too modern-looking for my taste.

7. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

So, you're saying the cheaper ally ones are not really any good?

I'd contemplated biting the bullet and going for the Walker, but I hate throwing twice as much money down if it is not strictly necessary.

8. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

One reason the aluminum ones from Speedway (and other places) are so much cheaper than Walkers is that the Walker is still copper and copper cores are in the minority now. The aluminum cores offered thru the specialty equipment sources are all based on mass produced aluminum cores from the same mfrs that supply the O.E.M.s. If you take a good look thru ALL of Speedway's catalogs (Hardcore racer's as well as Street rodder's) you will notice that the only difference between the rod radiator and the racer radiator (that has to take more abuse that any street driven car could give it.) is the location of the filler neck and the mounting flanges (if any). The racer rads are crossflow; the same raiator is rotated 90 deg and the fillwe neck relocated so it will operate as a downflow. The Walkers are usually built as exact replacements for the original -the new aluminum ones are usually minus the O.E.M. mounting system.

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

There are other things to consider, #1 being aesthetics. Ask yourself, will I like the way it looks on my car? If you're going the extra distance with bias plys, era correct drivetrain, old carbs, why ruin it with an late model looking radiator?

Real old Hot Rods used modified original radiators.

If you can't find one or don't feel comfortable using 75 year old stuff, the next step would be a Walker or similar retro styled one.

Just my two cents.

10. skidsteer

skidsteer

Get some dimensions of the '64-66 Mustang radiators, might fit right in.

11. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

I used a PRC radiator for my Model A hot rod. They make their radiators to order, and they're specific to the car/application....not a universal piece. I used a Northern brand aluminum radiator from Summit racing in my 65 El Camino....cost: about $160. It worked fine in that application, but it also isn't as much of a visual part of that car. The PRC radiator cost $410 + shipping, but I couldn't be happier with it. The TIG welds on the aluminum are beautiful, and the fit is perfect. You can certainly pay more, and I know you can pay less, but I'd recommend these guys very highly.....You can find 'em on the internet, and they're located in Booneville, Indiana. Oh yeah.....I bought their dummy filler neck so I could at least put the stock radiator cap in place and fill the hole on my 31 grille shell. I found that by folding the lower flange down, the dummy filler neck acts like a nut for a bolt....the folded flange bears up against the inside of the grille shell and keeps it from turning as you twist the radiator cap on. Once the cap's on, it looks right, fits tight, and can only be removed by using a gorilla-like grip. In other words, it ain't gonna come off by accident. Looks perfect, and no welding or hole drilling.

Hope this helps.....
    Craig Owens

Attached Files:

12. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I'm now torn between getting something cheaper that will 'do the job' and getting something more expensive that really looks the part.

I just got a pm off a guy over my way in England who can get brass/copper rads made to order for no more than the ally Speedway rad, so that would be good. Plus if it cracks in two I can go beat on his door. :D

13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

If your buying in the US, buy Walker. Have used dozens and have had no problems. Bought an alloy 32 radiator from a well known maufacturer and it had major fit issues. Sent it back as it didn't clear the repro A crossmember and I would have had to cut a hole in the hood top to clear the filler neck. They wouldn't refund my money but did send it back to me at their expense. Still up in the attic.

14. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Walker, Walker, Walker..you get what you pay for. I lost a motor over a cheapy. Best fit, Best cooling, never had one fail.

15. zzford

zzford

Your radiator is not a place to cheap out on. Next to brakes, probably the worst place to try to save a buck. Even if you have to wait, pony up the bucks for a Walker. The perfect way to ruin the enjoyment of your rod is to have cooling problems. Add to that fact that the radiators in many of these old cars can be a royal pain in the ass to pull out.

16. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I'm a Walker fan as well. Just bought one for my 32 and they have LOWERED their prices. Still not cheap but cheaper than last year's price:D

17. brandon

brandon

a side note to the speedway deal ....they just "aquired" afco too , so you might figure that in there somewhere....:rolleyes: i've used prc on my last couple a's and have sold several to other rodders and even a couple hamb guys...... work nice , easy to deal with , and will custom make about anything....even something for a rolls royce...:eek::D

18. Thats too bad, I used AFCO on my last car and liked it.

19. Fogger

Fogger

I've built three '32 Fords in the past 29 years and each one has a Walker radiator. IMO they are the best, never a problem. A number of HAMBers have had problems with Speedway and their parts. I personally don't know anyone who's had a problem with Walker. The FOGGER

20. I put a PRC in my 32 because one of my friends had his Walker split a seam on his roadster. I don't have any absolute answers. I only have 2000 miles on the 32 and it's still going.

21. They work great! Shorter than the '32 grill shell so you have to make a filler panel for the top. Way cheaper than a Walker.

22. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Can someone give me a model number for a Walker rad for a '32 with an FE 390 motor? Lower rad outlet need to be on the driver side.

There seems to be about a zillion different models? I wouldn't want to come across the pond, buy a rad then take it home to find it don't fit. :(

23. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Yep. Sell a kidney and three houses and buy a walker. Hey, pound for pound, they're cheaper than cocaine! What a bargain!

24. I looked in my Walker catalog for what you need. As you said, lots of numbers. I'd suggest you go to:
    http://www.walkerradiatorworks.com/
    They have a small questionaire on the homepage that asks about your car, then gives you the choices that should work.

25. rq375

rq375
    from Washington

Based on the blue annodized filler neck, I'll bet those speedway radiators are made by Northern radiator. They are not as pretty, but work fine. Clean it up real good and paint it black...