Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway High Speed Gears Banjo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MBL, Jan 28, 2008.

1. MBL

MBL

Howdy all. I have been seriously thinking of changing the Model T to a different ratio in the back. The higher speeds aforded by the 3.25 set that speedway offers is really tempting.

I have read that the gears sold by speedway are not such an "EZ" installation as the catalog suggests. Can I get some feedback from the HAMB world about these? How much trouble was it? Suggestions about using gaskets to shim the axel housings?
    Thanks for any ideas.
    Tim
    MBL

2. MBL

MBL

BTTT...no one? Wow? somebody here has got to have purchased these....:)
    Tim
    MBL

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

don't know about the speedway gears personally (although I have heard of problems with aftermarket gears in general) but the installation of gears in the banjo rear is the same no matter what gears you get. There is a set procedure that needs to be followed. I know there was an AWESOME tech done on swapping banjo gears within the past year I believe. you have to shim the pinion gear and use gaskets to set the backlash on the ring gear. takes alot of guess and check but really isn't too hard.

4. butch27

butch27

I thought they were 354 gears. Anyway just take your time and you can do it. Hell I even got down to where I had to use some art paper for a shim.

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I bought the speedway gears and all they had were the 3:54 set.I ahad a buddy help me install in my 40 rear...came with all the stuff.I ordered new Timkin bearings as well.It was recommended.
    My pal had old Ford manuals..... and used a dial indicator to set the proper backlash.
    Bruce Lancaster would be the man to pm and ask.
    Early ford guru god.period.

6. tjm73

tjm73

Aren't stock model A R&P gears around 3.75:1? Would it be better/easier to go with a different transmission? Say an overdrive unit? Just brainstormin'....

7. 40Tudor

40Tudor

I've heard of the Speedway gears needing machine work to fit but don't have any first-hand experience. Hopefully someone who knows can chime in. I'd like to hear about it, too.

8. MBL

MBL

They have a 3.54 and a 3.25 set. I think they now do the machine work before sending them out. Probably got tired of having the gears returned.
    Tim
    MBL

9. 38 Hump

38 Hump

I just recently installed Speedway 3.25 gears in my '40 rear end. I followed the installation procedure from an old Chilton's book and the thread from the archives. Bought all new bearings from NAPA. Used a dial indicator and trial / error for the shims from C & G. It feels good to the touch, but will have to wait to get it on the road as I have the car down for final body work and paint. The only pucker :eek: issue was using heat to remove the main bearing race.

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I have ZERO problems and have not heard any issues of that concern.
    When I bought... only 3:54 was available.

11. MBL

MBL

Ok...so it seems that they made some changes to the gears since they first came out. I will definitely wait for some 3.25s.
    Tim
    MBL