Register now to get rid of these ads!

speedway flathead headers... issues??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnnyboy, Oct 26, 2007.

1. johnnyboy

johnnyboy

i've been looking into getting headers for my 49 ford flathead. i'm pulling my 8ba for a supposed fresher eab flatty. same block, different pulleys, yada yada.
    i figured i'd throw a set of headers on there so i could run dual exhaust. someone said that with a set of old manis i could run duals.... but after the purchase they turned out to be the same pair of manifolds that are on the engine... after seeing the bend on the left side, i'm sure this swap won't work.
    i found speedway to be the fairest of them all, price wise in headers. so i am wondering if anybody is running a set of them... the regular, and not center dump. are they interfering with anything?? steering/ brake fade???? should i put wrap around the pipe in the master cylinder area??? any info on this swap would be appreciated.

2. I have them on all my flathead cars, fit fine and work great.

3. synthsis

synthsis

John,
    check NightProwlers for header prices. that's where I was going to get them for the Merc if I didn't weld up the ones that were already on there.

I might need you to come over for a little bit on Sunday afternoon. Bri is going to help me with the truck and an extra set of hands would be cool.

4. Look down the tubes before installing. A friend bought some and there was a nasty overlap inside blocking half a tube. Not made in the USA by people who probably don't know what they're making.

5. tinmann

tinmann

I borrowed a set of Red's Headers from a friend (crappy welds, by the way) and in 10 hours I had made my own copy set from thicker 16 ga mandrel bend tube and my own flanges. Easy as pie. D.I.Y.!!!

6. lowmaster

lowmaster

I used a pair of speedway's on Dad's 49. Pass side had a hole in a weld and one hole on flange had to be drilled out to line up with block. Drivers side had to be cut and rebuilt to clear steering box. Second time I used Red's, 100% better.

7. johnnyboy

johnnyboy

thanks for the input guys. i guess i'll give them a go. can't go wrong at 129.00. i'm sure i'll get what i paid for.