Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway Flathead Aluminum Water Pumps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrblack30, Jul 24, 2012.

1. nobody has used these pumps?

2. 36tbird

36tbird

I hate it, too, when you post something and no one responds. Been there, done that.

Why in the world would anyone want exorbitantly priced, aluminum flathead water pumps? Only thing I can think of is to put them on an equally exorbitantly priced aluminum flathead block with astronomically priced Ardun repro heads.

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

You can get the cast iron version for about $90 each. The Bob Drake pumps are pretty good too for similar money on sale. Why would you need aluminum for crazy money?

Bob

4. I'm a flathead noob, but my logic is wondering if maybe it's for those trying to squeeze out every last bit of cooling from their flatties?

5. Rem

Rem

I'd wondered about these when I first saw them, and my cynical mind decided they were the result of cheap aluminium castings being so easy to get hold of in China, possibly easier than quality cast iron ones.

6. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I've had good luck with their cast ones.

7. metalman

metalman

I think the idea is eye candy. I admit I would of thought hard about buying them if they were availible when I built the motor in my avatar. I really wanted chrome pullys at least, the "new" water pumps have cast pullies that won't chrome and the set of press steel pullys I had chrome won't fit so I ended up rebuilding a set of originals, so far so good but I'd perfer the new ones with better seals ect. I spent enough time and $$$ dressing out my flathead a few extra dollars wouldn't made that much differance, no more then ponying up for the Powergen.

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Aren't we supposed to just bash anything that's sold by Speedway? ;)

9. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Only if you actually never purchased or used any of their products:) I seldom buy from Speedway but had good luck with what I have and was pleased by customer service. I tend to patron small USA vendors when possible.

10. 8-Track

8-Track

I purchased a set of polished alluminum ones from flathead Jack a couple of years ago for $300.00 each. they seem to work well but Speedway ones are more than likely cheap Chinese made ones.

Attached Files:

11. flat 39

flat 39

That is one sparkly flathead!

12. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Will the aluminum pumps hold up the weight of a flathead?

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I use the ones from Bob Drake, still working ok. Flathead Jack was selling a lot of nice aluminum things for flatmotors.

BTW, I was in Walnut Creek last week, and learned that Flathead Jack is no longer at his 3 rd St. address. I'm guessing he retired ?

4TTRUK

14. 8-Track

8-Track

Flathead Jacks Web Site is still active, It looks like he is All mail order now.

15. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

When I worked for Speedway, Speedy was very proud of his products being made in China. He even had a Chinaman on his staff. He would go there three times a year to visit the various manufactures there. He would buy American made products, scan them and send the scaned parts to China to be built. I don't know if the aluminum pumps are made in China, but I suspect that they are. I buy some things from Speeday, but I am very careful of where they are made. Just my 2 cents worth

16. captain j

captain j

When I bought my used flathead and brought it back to life I was gonna replace the original water oumos with the regular speedway ones. The originals both worked fine and didnt leak so I never even replaced them. I do recommend temperature gauges for each side of the engine.

17. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jack has a new location on Tampico street in Walnut Creek.
    I just sent him 97's last week!

18. ljcstreetlightking

ljcstreetlightking
    from nebraska

Well bought my speedway cast pumps for my 51-AAANNNNNDDD!!!!!!! the pass pump pulley is an 1/8 or more too far out-- just a fluke or what not sure what to do

19. fairlane 63

fairlane 63
    from NO.DAK.

sent mine to skip haney my car runs cooler .