Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway dropped crossmembers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Chandler, Dec 16, 2007.

1. David Chandler

David Chandler

I have been reading lots of Model A threads, as well as others, and I haven't heard about these. I assume that it's flatter than a stock one, so I have 2 questions. One do I have to C notch the frame for spring clearance, and two will this require a shorter radiator and shell? I have a nice shell and don't want to hack it up if I can avoid it.
    Thanks!

2. brandon

brandon

i was going to use a jim widmer 2" lower crossmember on my coupe....it was going to need a slightly shorter radiator so that the pads were at the very bottom of the tank....worse case , the crossmember mentioned may need a shorter radiator as well....the flatter crossmember will probably need a c notch as well ....depending on the spring and eyes...(reverse or regular) my coupe has a super slide that is the lowest posie offers....with a few leaves taken out ....i c notched it and i'm using a regular model a crossmember since i had my radiator before i got the dropped crossmember ...brandon:D

3. David Chandler

David Chandler

Thanks Brandon. I guess I'm on the right track in my thinking. I have a stock crossmember but will need a different spring to fit my 41 axle. I have a part number from Posie's and it's suposed to be a reversed eye. My thinking is that if I can drop it a bit more with the crossmember swap, that would be enough. I'm not planning on a groundscraper. Just something that dosen't look too foolish without fenders.

4. I used one of these X-members in my '29. You'll need a flat bottom radiator, but the stock grille shell will be no problem. You should plan on C-notching. I "ramp notched" mine -- deep inside the rail, shallow or no notch at the outside of the rail -- so it looks like an inverted "ramp" that follows the arc of your spring. Be sure to dial in some CASTER when you weld in this cross-member, you'll want 6 to 7 degrees (and take your rake into account, it SUBTRACTS from your caster). Good luck!

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. brandon

brandon

or use adjustable perches....thanks brandon:D

6. lik2writ

lik2writ
    from NY

I bought the flat crossmember from these guys. I won't be installing it into my 29 roadster frame till after the holidays, but take a look at their segements, # 4,( flat crossmember) #5 ( c-notching) and #18 (radiator/shell mounting). http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/build/05cruisinproductsbuild/html/page_7.php
    I'll pretty much follow that plan I think.
    Also to consider a crossmember option is whether or not your frame is already boxed. Mine isnt, so I'll install like they show from their home page site ; http://www.cruisinproducts.com/html/frame_build_segment_3.html
    and box around it afterward. Hope this helps.

7. David Chandler

David Chandler

Lots of good advise, thanks. My frame isn't boxed yet, though I do have the boxing plates for it. Presently it's standing on it's tail in the snow, leaning against my shed. I'll probably start on it this spring, and keep fiddling with my junk body parts until them. Also I've got to come up with a spring that fits my axle before I start with that part of things.