Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway Disk Brake Conv. kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinastirSpeedShop, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Rochie

Rochie

Yep,
    I just finished the swap on my 29 roadster./ I had buicks up front and a banjo out back. I drove the car from just north of Detroit (London On.) to Victoria BC for the Northwest Deuce days show on the island. Let's just say I had a couple of "moments" in the mountains, you know the butt clench type.
    I decided to hell with tradition I WANT TO STOP NOW!
    Anyway the kit is of good quality and it fits right. They say it won't wrok on aftermarket droppped steering arms, but what they really meant was it won't BOLT on with that type of steering arm. It will work and you will see what has to be modified and welded to make it work in the pic below.
    They offer just the basic bracket kit that include the brackets and hardware, inner bearing and bearing adaptor. You use your OG outer wheel bearing, washer and castle nut. I found that Advancd Auto for the rotors $31, cailpers $13, pads $31 etc. was a better buy.
    Rotors are 83 Ford 1/2t, the calipers are 71/76 fullsize Chev and the flex hoses are up to your situation. I have thru the frame brake line connectors and the fittings worked for me.

Attached Files:

2. terry48435

terry48435

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  3. Thanks that was the information I was looking for.

4. I have one more question. With the conversion kit you can not use stock wheels. Has one used spacers to space them out enough to clear the calibers, so you can run the stock wheels?

5. Rochie

Rochie

SinastirSpeedShop
    I did the same as Skidmarks on the rear. The fronts are mid 60's 15in. 5X5.5 rims. I used hoops from Jimmy at Rally America and the same centers from another pair of 15in wheels to get a 15in. X 8in. 5X5.5 wheel.
    I just pulled the banjo out and out in a Ford 8in.and the problem Im having now is finding a pair of 15in. 5X4.5 passenger car rims!!! Who'da thunk they would be hard to find.

Attached Files:

6. HotRod33

HotRod33

I have had this kit on my 33 pickup and have about 3600 miles on it and it is great. I used the chassie enginerring steering arms also.. put in a proportioning valve so the back brakes don't lockup first.....

7. I have this kit and it works great - just beware the rotors have a large outer diamter hub. The center hole on 40 ford 16" wheels fit over it perfectly. If you want to run any other kind of wheel or mags be ready to open up the hole in the center of the wheel to the same diamter as the hole in a 40 ford wheel. They won't fit otherwise. Ask me how I know.

I have not needed any spacers to clear the calipers.

8. mustangsix

mustangsix

Not this one, but I'm using a similar one I got from them. Works great.

I used some junk backing plates to hide the discs (yeah, yeah...I know)

Attached Files:

9. I used a speedway kit and then a Pete and Jakes Super Bell kit , I liked the P&J Kit ,that was made in the USA, a lot better, Granted it costs more , but sometimes you get what you pay for. To be clear , I am not bad mouthing Speedway Motors , But Speedway uses a lot of imported parts ( read Chinese) to hold down costs for us on a budget hot rodders, an that usually effects quality ,,,,,,Sam

10. yes, the stock 16" 40 Ford 4" wide wheels fit fine.
    My 15" aluminum and magnesium wheels with 2.5" back space also do not interfere with the calipers and fit fine once I enlarged the diameter of the hole in the center of the wheels to go over the flange on the rotor hub where the wheel mounts.

What do you mean "did by the way the rim was made not the center?"

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Super Bell. Only cost a little more to go first class!

12. perk30

perk30

I used a similar Speedway kit on my Model A. Everything worked fine but I replaced the inner and outer "made in China" bearings with Timkens. You could tell the difference in the bearings just by looking at them. The Timkens had a much heavier cage, rollers looked smoother and they were heavier.and just plain looked better. Not that expensive of an adjustment to make and I feel alot better having done it.

13. I like that...

Thank you for all the information. Just what I wanted to hear.

14. Steve 38

Steve 38

As already stated above, I looked at the kit but I have 15" 1950 Mercury wheels and the kit won't fit these wheels because the wheel centre envelopes around what would normally be a brake drum.

15. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I had problems with one of the bearing adapters fitting the speedway spindle. One side went on perfectlty the other had a problem getting it on. had to heat it really hot.

16. yngrodder

yngrodder

I did this conversion today, What I'm concerned about The caliper is close to the wheel I was wondering how much the caliper slides with pad wear??