Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway 33 pickup grille.... Who's bought one.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BISHOP, May 28, 2010.

1. BISHOP

BISHOP

Who has one and what do you think about it, it is fiberglass, and Im thinking I will never find a descent 33 pickup grill.

2. give the ford barn a try before buying fiberglass.

add a signature to your post and start a wanted ad, you'll be surprised what pops up

3. It's relatively easy to find the '33 and '34 commercial shells. Just keep your eyes open and be willing to pay. You might have to do a little repair work, but it sure beats fiberglass. Just be glad you aren't in need of one for a '32; harder to find and more expensive.

4. andyapplegate

andyapplegate

i got one. it is a nice heavy piece that used the stock hardware. the 32 grill insert was a snug fit though. the shell needed a little material removed from the insert area so the stainless insert would drop in without tearing off the new paint. other than that it was not a bad way to go. i dont have a problem with fiberglass parts, as long as they are of good quality, from my experience, the old sheetmetal parts dont fit without a bunch of work either. just my 2 cents

5. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

I have a NOS 1933 Henry Ford pick-up grille. :)

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

Did you happen to use the speedway insert? Could you post a pic please?

I really didnt want any fiberglass parts on my pickup, but their are some advantages to a glass grille. One would be that if I hit something in the road, (its low) I wont feal bad about ruining it. Also, a glass grille wont get dents or rust.

7. BISHOP

BISHOP

Pic please, PM me if you would like to sell it. Thanks

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

I put an add at fordbarn, found one too.......$1300 FIRM. I have to pass on that one. It must be a nice one.. Let me know if anyone here wants it and I will contact the seller for you. Its too much money for me.

9. $1300 :eek: It must do housework too.

10. fleetside66

fleetside66

Since I've been working on a '33 project for that last 3 1/2 years, I've paid particular attention to the price of various components throughout that time period. Like most stuff, the prices have come down with the economy. It seems like I was buying at the peak time..go figure. $1,300 might be a viable high end price for an N.O.S. grill (this is the first I ever heard of), but there were & are some decent grills out there in the $200-$400 range. Most of them need work in the lower lip & the gill bars (no insert with 32-34 truck grills). I managed to find one (a '34 with a real nice stainless surround) on Ebay for $150.00 about three years ago. The grill bars were great, but it needed lower lip surgery & the top (where the radiator cap resides) was cut out for some bizarre reason. I ended up smoothing it, since it was for a hot rod. I suggest holding out for an original, even though I have no burning hate for glass. Give yourself a time period...check here, Ebay & the FordBarn daily..if nothing comes to you within your allotted time period, go for the glass. Be patient grasshopper.

11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When they first came out I built 2 of the 34 extended cab trucks for Speedway (first was yellow and the second was red and was used by Ford Motorsports for a couple of years) The Glass grille shell worked fine after a little work to make the insert fit. It would be a viable alternative untill you found the right steel shell.

12. hemifarris

hemifarris

A little off topic but is your avatar a picture of Al Bergler's "More Aggravation" dragster?

13. BISHOP

BISHOP

Yep. I love that car. I didnt take the pic though.

14. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I know someone who has a NOS 32 commercial shell which I know he'd sell. I don't want to name the price for him, but I know it'd be less than a grand. pm me if interested

15. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

There is one for sale on the hamb classifieds for 350.

16. BISHOP

BISHOP

The 1933 grille listed is actually is a 34.

17. hemifarris

hemifarris

Al's my best friend. I can get you more detailed photos of the car if you'd like me to. It might not be for a month or so because it's loaded, along with his Motown Shaker funny car , in his transporter for summer drag fests.
    Mike

18. Richard Head

Richard Head

My dad has one on his 34 pickup. It looked cool when we built the truck in the mid 90's. It fits good but the mat is starting to telegraph through the black paint from all of the heat cycles its been through. He still has a nice original shell that I had ready for paint. I've been suggesting the last few years to paint it and put it on the truck, but he likes the '32 insert.

Dave

Attached Files: