Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Speedster / Gow Job questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2NDCHANCE, Oct 19, 2020.

1. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

A couple months ago I was given and 1930 Model A four door chassis minus most of the body parts. As a retirement project I want to build a Speedster or Gow Job. I have a few questions. My Model A frame is complete and stock....will a fiberglass T bucket Body fit right on top of the Model A frame. Will a Model T radiator work with a Model A engine. If I went the Speedster route....Can a 1929 Model a radiator and grill shell be used with the 1930 cowl and gas tank that I have. I've been watching lots of TROG videos and see 1929 grills used on 1927 T roadster bodies. Just wondering if there ae any unwritten rules. Is fiberglass a total no no? I'm not a big fan of the stainless 1930 Model A grill shells. Gary 30 model a .JPG gary and frame.jpeg

2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Why not build your car like a poor man's Stytz Bearcat or Mercer Raceabout. Then you just use the radiator of your choice, a hood and firewall, and a pair of old style bucket seats. Could be cheap and easy. Look them up online. Good luck with your project.

3. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Oops, that Stutz... I'm a lousy typer!

4. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Here is my last speedster. 1930 Chevy. 292 six, turbo 350 trans. I also have a brass 4 core Model t radiator that is a vintage t bucket item, meant to cool a big block Chevy. 30-SIDE.jpg

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  6. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

The 292 Chevy was awesome, but not old school by any means. Should have used the old Chevy six cylinder and transmission that can with the frame.

Outback likes this.
  7. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Back on track after a summer of car shows. Got the glass in my windshield frame and got it mounted to the leaned back windshield posts. Now it's time for a brake job. Gary thumbnail_IMG_4712.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4713.jpg

8. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

With My Chevy Speedster, wind was a major problem. Seems like the wind coming over the radiator and small wind screens put the passengers in a major turbulent area. This time we will have some wind protection....maybe not as stylish....but better protected.

9. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good call. Those little fold down windscreens (Brookland/Aeroscreen) look cool, but are purely decorative. They do not screen the wind.