Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedometer repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sicmade, Apr 18, 2012.

1. sicmade

sicmade
    from Modesto

I just recently started rebuilding a speedometer for a 36 ford as well as one for a friend. I found that to repair the green film in some of the early speedometers you can use green high temp tape used for powder coating to make the green tint for the bulbs. I just pulled about a foot, folded it in half. Stuck the two sticky sides together and it worked perfect. I'm not even sure if the make a replacement tint or not. Also on the top part of the speedometer where the cable goes in there is always a small plug somewhere to oil them. That usually breaks free the mech with a day of soaking with oil and some slow speed on a drill and I've got every one to break free.

Attached Files:

2. fiddy

fiddy

Great tips, thanks man!

3. John Galt

John Galt

Yes that is a good tip. I have also heard of people using lighting gel, which is used in the film/theater industry.
    http://www.filmtools.com/rosco-storaro-2004-vs-green-gel-sheet.html
    If anyone has any other resources on gauge restoration I would love to see some info. It seems like a dark art. Most builds I see use aftermarket gauges or repops. Can somebody spill the beans?

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That's some neat stuff.