Register now to get rid of these ads!

speedometer issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tokyo, Oct 12, 2006.

1. I dont' know what most guys do in these situations..but speedo cables always seems to be a little detail that never gets done because it is a pain in the butt.

so..my pain in the butt is this...i want to mate my stock 49 merc speedo (which is perfect) to my TH350 trans.

now..i got a 55 merc speedo cable that screws tight into the back of the speedo and is perfect, but the end will not work with the 350 side of the deal..so..

sawzall gets em this brand new cable from a 60's gm truck which will bolt into the trans, BUT the screw cap will only screw into the back of the speedo half way, leaving slack in the line...

does anyone have a suggestion on how I can make this speedo/trans combo work??

thanks,
    tok

2. Bugman

Bugman

Get one of those "speedometer repair cables" that you cut to length. Cut it so its just a tad long so it's under pressure when you screw everything together.

3. sawzall

sawzall

tokyo

check the threads on the speedo and on the inside of the NUT at the top of the speedo cable.. (at the speedo end..

when the cable goes into the trans it will PUSH the cable through the cable and UP TO the speedo..

4. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

There is a company I have used that will make make you a cable the right length with the correct ends for about 40.00... I will see if I can find the name....EVILT

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. 4tford

4tford

I used a speedo shop here in Michigan. Look for one in your area they can usually make one for about 40 to 50 bucks. I used this shop www.bobsspeedometer.com .

6. Sac Vintage carries a cable that may work, part # 08180, for most GM trans to Ford speedo head....25 dolla.

7. ponchoman

ponchoman

I just had my local Speedo shop make me a new cable and housing yesterday, to mount from the 5 speed in my '63 Chevy SWB, to the new Autogage speedo that I've installed. Cost $45 and took them less than an hour. Surely ya' got speedo shops in the Philly area. :)

8. hey guys,

thanks for the input. I will check to see if there is a shop around here or not. I will update you guys with the continuing saga.

tok

9. sawzall

sawzall

not that I have been able to find..

I was looking for someone to rebuild a speedo I have..

nearest rebuilder was in lancaster, PA

anyone know of a speedo shop in the metro philly area?