Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Speedo cable for Model A speedo and a C6 trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sidevalve8ba, May 16, 2020.

1. I have been making some changes to my old Model A Tudor that are probably long overdue. I've never had a working speedometer in all the years I've had it on the road. However I do have a working '31 Model A Waltham speedometer and I'm wondering if there is a speedometer cable that has the correct ends on it so that I could actually use this puppy. Anyone have any experience along these lines?

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  2. I had a cable made in the nineties. One end went on Stewart Warner original Model A speedo and other end on GM 700R4. All I had to do was tell him how long to make it.

I believe it was done by Rowan Speedometer Co. In Palm Harbor, FL.
    727-410-6352

By chance with tire size change, trans change and rear end change, it was nearly accurate when I checked it. If you are not so lucky, they will assemble a little adapter that goes between trans and cable to correct things.

Hope this helps.

Phil

sidevalve8ba and Dave Mc like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This cable is supposed to fit the 31 A round Waltham speedometer. https://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A17260B.html

Not cheap but they do sell an adapter to hook a screw on cable to a C-6 rather than the regular end. https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/9fca/
    On the same page is a speedometer calibration box that works the same way and lets you calibrate the speedometer with what amount to tiny quick change gears.
    https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/55ra-ford-speedometer-ratio-adapter/

The Model A cable most likely isn't going to be long enough though.

sidevalve8ba and Dave Mc like this.
  4. theboss20

theboss20

Measure the length of run with no tight turns and most any speedo shop cab build you a cable. Don’t try to use the old cable. The ratio box can be added at anytime after you find out if it’s accurate or not. Once everything is working you can determine how accurate the speedo is by several methods.

sidevalve8ba likes this.

5. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

My memory's a bit fuzzy since it was a decade ago, but I seem to remember we made our own speedo cable with a kit from Lokar(?) to hook a C6 to a Chevy speedo. Summit has part no.
    SP-1502U that looks like what we used. I remember we had to cut it to length, and crimp the square thing that goes into the speedo. The description says it works with speedos with 5/8-18 threads. And we had to figure out the speedo gear that we needed, and got that separately.

6. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

PM me, check out website or give me call at the shop. No problem to get you set up with everything.

pprather, sidevalve8ba and badshifter like this.