Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Speedhut, speedbox Stewart Warner ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ENUF 41, Oct 11, 2017.

1. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

2questions, has anyone installed a Speedhut Speedbox? Second question does a Stewart Warner speedometer have the same gearing as a OEM speedometer?
    Currently reading to slow with the what ever gear I put in the tranny, and I have no room for a ratio device.
    The speedbox looks interesting, kind of spendy however

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Speedbox looks good, install and forget about it.
    I have a Classic instruments electric speedo and I'm going to install the GPS system by them. Simple.

3. squirrel

squirrel

should be 1000 turns/mile, like most speedometers.

I like fixing the speedo drive gear to make it work right, but I guess it's a dying art.

If you figure out the error as a percentage, based on the odometer reading over a measured mile (or ten miles to be more accurate), then you can figure out how many fewer teeth you need on the driven gear. If that tooth count is not available, then you might have to mess with the drive gear on the output shaft, which is more work.

4. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

Worked with cable drive gear smallest available, still real slow reading, just looking at other options

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

The speedometer cable can be split and the ratio adapter put in line. Contact me if this works for you, I can build the whole setup. Or we carry Classic Speed a GPS based unit to drive your cable driven speedometer. You can check it out on our website or do a HAMB search on Classic Speed for a thread I posted.

6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put a Stewart Warner speedo in my 38 Chevy with a Saginaw four speed back in the 70's used a cable out of a 57 Chevy, can't remember if I messed with the transmission gear or not. Last year I put a 3.70 geared 9 inch Ford in to replace the 57 Chevy 3.3xx? gears and of course the speedo was off, I used my GPS to accurately gauge the speed, ordered a different toothed gear and now it's pretty close. Lots of places to get the transmission gears. Hope this is what you were trying to do.