Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speed week....was rough.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoscoeFink, Aug 17, 2011.

1. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

The Mrs. and I got home safely from the salt;
    My camera broke, Cell phone died, the Lincoln had gas, electrical, differential, cooling, oil, and pully problems; Like many of you, we got stuck in the mud at the bend, and to top it offl, I hit two Deer at the same time on my way home last night.....It really tore up the front of the Lincoln.
    i'll tell ya' I've been to Bonneville 5 times, this was the most problematic...

On the upside, I got to catch up with a lot of old friends, make a few new friends, do some pinstriping, and met Gene F-cking Winfield, who approached ME in the Smith's parking lot to talk to me about my sled. (suck on that, y'all) I also got to stripe a 26 essex, and a glass '32 replica, so that was fun.

Anyway, I still have some Speed Week panels available, so if anybody's in the mood to help me pay off the damage on the front of my sled, I'd be obliged!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

What no photos?

3. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

No man, Problem #1 - Camera broke!

4. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

walked right into that one.

Sorry to here about your lincoln

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just thought camera #2 was at home. Are the deer keepers for the winter?

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

7. aojo

aojo

So what is a Speed Week panel? Excuse my ignorance!

8. It's where a bunch of hot rodders go out to an old lake and race their cars on it... it goes on for a week, and they go fast... hence the name "Speed Week".

Sam

9. aojo

aojo

Cripes Sam, I got that..... It seems as if Roscoe is offering some panel for sale to offset the front end damage to his car.???? Or am I misreading the post???? ..

10. pinman 39

pinman 39

Hey Roscoe it at least sounds like you are OK .Thats good .I may have a lead for lincoln
    parts .pm me if you need help.

11. onedge

onedge

What a trip to tell of, great outlook.

aojo you got it, not sure about Sam maybe he missed "panel". (pinstriped b-ville panel's)

12. F&J

F&J

That's pretty cool.

13. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Sheeeeeeeeeze! Glad you made it home alive.......

Smacked (one) deer going 60 once. Spun in the the air like a frisbee before landing in the oncoming lane. Watched a car pancake over it to lose all 4 hub caps. Tow truck yanked the front end off the one tire to allow me on down the road.

Bambi is tougher than most people think.

Good luck smoothing out the Lincoln again and here's hoping you used up all your bad luck and have smooth sailing from now on.............

14. rusty28a

rusty28a

You got to meet Gene...
    You got to meet Gene...
    You got to meet Gene...
    You got to meet Gene...
    The rest you will forget!

15. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

sorry you had such a rough time. The mud at the Bend was pretty gnarly for 2wd's.

16. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I hear ya man. I blew a head gasket on my way home in the '40. No tow strap, but found a ratty old motorcycle strap and used that to tow. Got all the way Tooele before it broke. During the tow, I got hit three times by flying tire scraps from the side of the road. Luckily no damage, but it was "different" this year.

Good luck fixing the Hot Rod Lincoln.

17. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

Thanks everyone!
    I'm just glad the deer didn't blow out my tires. The real kicker was this: they walked into the road from behind a big flashing construction-style sign that was telling me to watch for game..........................Yeah.
    I'm hoping to find some parts for the Lincoln, but they're not as easy to come by as, say a mid-50's Chevy's....

Von Rigg Fink - It actually fared quite similarly, the only difference is the gauge of steel on mine is thicker, so my grille just bent and cracked.

Aojo - A Bonneville panel is a pinstriped panel with a car painted opn it that reads "Bonneville Speed Week 2011" I was hocking 'em at the cruise to try to pay off gas, but now I'm in need of cash for a new, grille, and hood and quarter panel work.... oh, and a windshield. -Yeesh.

Pin-Man, Look out for my PM. I just about need a whole new front end.

onedge - nailed it.
    Rusty 28a - It's true......I don't know if I'll forget, but it won't seem as big, you know, Once the front-end is all fixed up.

Crusty nut - It really was. The mrs. and I pulled in to the bend, and slid around all over the place before stopping, and just getting flat out stuck. I stepped out and just about lost my shoes in the mud.....so We slept right there in the Sled on top of our firewood, canopy, lawn chairs...but we lived!

Big Mac, Sorry to hear about that. If I'd seen you, you can bet I would have stopped to help you man.

-I'll post pictures of the lincoln and panels tomorrow.

***Thanks for all the well-wishes everyone.***

18. toolman1967

toolman1967

I can only guess that " A bad week at Bonneville is still better than whatever you did" Bumper sticker is in the works!

19. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

Y'know, all told, There was an older cat at the cruise, who was in bandages, and wrapped up bleeding, and pussing everywhere, because he'd tumbled down the salt......I had it pretty easy.

20. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

Yea man if you would put up some pics of the panels and pm me a price and Ill see if I cant help your front end fund out.

21. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

Here are a couple of the panels I made for/at Speedweek, I have 6 left,
    3 black, 1 blue, and 2 bare aluminum. (I also have the 63 nova panel)

a black one got a little scratched up on the trip home, and since I have some holes in my trunk, they all still have Bonneville Salt stuck on them. I can wash it off, but I figured it may be a selling point for some of you. (I think they're cool salty)

I'm hoping to get $40-$50 for them, but I just got married, so Money for Hot Rodding is pretty much non-existant at this point, so I'm totally open to any offer!

Attached Files:

22. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Bummer man, but at least you made it home. And your Stache looked sharp, I saw ya in the parking lot. lol Keep on stripin.

23. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

I agree Green, I was just happy the deer didn't blow my tires, or puncture my radiator.

Why didn't you come by and say hi in person, pal?

24. Or come through the windshield!

25. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

PM sent about the panels

26. Shazam! Hate to hear of the damage to your sled and the rest.
    I drove my O.T. car from Oregon across Oregon and Nevada hiway 140 to Winnemucca at night on my way to the salt on Sat. nite...saw 3 of the biggest mule deer I'd ever seen..all 3 bucks standing about 5 feet off the hiway. I musta hit at least 50 jack rabbits and had near misses of coyotes, owls [lots of owls] bats.
    The owls and coyotes were all having dinner on the dead rabbits left on the road.
    My little white HHR panel had 3/4ths an inch of blood and guts all down the sides and underneath...and my nerves were frazzled by the time we hit Winnemucca!
    T-man called me Sunday nite from the bend-in-the-road saying his tent had blown away and his sleeping bag was saturated with rain water..I put him up in my motel room in Wendover...weird Bonneville this year.

27. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

Patrick - Too true. We went right up and over 'em...Surprising, given my ride height.

Grego - Thank you. I just got your PM. I REALLY appreciate the help. I'm setting up a pay-pal account now, and looking in to the cost of shipping. I'll PM you when I get it sorted out.

Rocky - Dang Chief! that sounds like one heck of a drive. Glad you at least made it through safely. 'Nice of you to put T-Man up for the night. that storm was CRAZY!

Thanks to everyone who's bought panels, and sent their support so far. You guys are all the bees-knees, and I appreciate all the support.

28. Thanks again for making my last night a dryer one Rocky! I took 3 showers before I left the room, one after the rain and an extra in the AM trying to warm up from the 45 degree AC!

My tent was on its last legs and that wind kinda did it in. I dont mind sleepeing in the truck but my fluffy comforter was soaked and I was cold and wet!