Register now to get rid of these ads!

speed way straight axle kit...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63FalconFutura, Mar 21, 2010.

1. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

Hey guys i want to put a straight axle into my falcon i found a kit from speedway, and i have a few questions i was wondering if any of u guys could answer. Thanks in advance (here is the link to the kit http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1928-1948-Ford-Straight-Axles,2128.html)

what width axle is reccomended (between 44"-50" king pin to king pin)it fit a 63 ford falcon futura
    do u guys recommend the 1928-1948 Ford spindles that come in the kit
    What breaks do u guys recommend i have heard that the 84 ford ranger breaks would work

2. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

You can check with gasser55..he installed a speedway kit on a 65 Comet..may be on his profile?

3. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

thanks ill check it out

4. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

5. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

This is my falcon futura...46" Speedway axle. You could probably get away with the 48" as well, but I liked the tucked in look of the 46"

The kit is complete, and really easy to install. just double measure everything before you weld. It can be put in with the shackles front or back....really doesn't matter, but it looks better with them in the back IMO.

I used the ford spindles and the flat steering arms. No brakes on mine, but I guess if you HAD to run front brakes, speedway sells a disc kit to fit. I don't know anything about putting ranger brakes on one, but it sounds like hocus pocus to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

well my falcon is going to be my daily driver and get me to and from highschool :p

7. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

front brakes are kinda nice

8. F100 drums, disks would look out of place. Or just use a parachute!

9. Muttley

Muttley

The Swiss cheese treatment on the core support looks killer. I may have to fire up the hole saw and get busy on my Comet.

10. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks! It happened by accident hahaha. Well....kinda.

Anyways......on the front brakes, I second the F100 thing. Disc brakes don't look right.

11. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

12. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

TRUCK_RAT is installing one in his 39

13. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

alright i might have to send him a message

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I was also looking at that same kit to put under my 37 Ply.p/u . I was wonder about that kit because it just sounded too go to be true . I guess it is a good kit then . Any problems with the install at all or is everything OK in the kit ?
    That Falcon look great ! A true killer look !
    I am for the drum brakes also . Disc brakes look like shit on a Gasser ! Ruins the whole look !
    Just my opinion !

RetroJim

15. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

What about a set of air hearts :p

Hightone111 likes this.
  16. krooser

krooser

I don't think solid rotor Airhearts would work on a car as heavy as a Falcon on the street...My British TR's have 'em (solid rotors) but the cars only weigh 2100#.

You don't want to find out about brake fade from hot rotors... I know how kids drive BTW.

17. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

18. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

Drilled solid rotors are way better then no brakes
    couple companys have small 2piston calipers if you
    paint/anodize gray or black
    who said disc brakes don't look right on a gasser????????????????

Hightone111 likes this.
  19. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Disc brakes don't look right on a gasser.

There, now 2 people said it.

20. Muttley

Muttley

Make that three. Disc brakes are a deal breaker part for me, I'd not straight axle my car before I ran them.

21. Adam.Perrault

Adam.Perrault
    from Phoenix AZ

how about the super expensive SoCal hidden disc setup.
    that way he keeps good brakes for the daily driver but they dont stick out like a sore thumb!

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I recently fitted a 46" axle to a later Falcon and used the speedway kit along with 37-41 ford spindles and F100 drums, it rides very well and stops real good.

23. Verminator

Verminator

Cut 4-6" out of an econoline. Econoline drums have plenty of stopping even on the fast ones....Building a street 63 Ranchero with econo axle as we speak

24. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

I run stock Econoline brake drums on mine and it has no problem slowing my car car down from 120 m.p.h. and my axle has 4 inch out of it like Verminator said.

Jon

25. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

your avatar looks bad ass :D

26. Clik

Clik

After surgeons pinned me back together I will never run without front brakes again.

Some say they aren't period correct for gassers but disc brakes were around in the day and could have been utilized.

I know this is an old post but they stay on here for reference. If it saves someone else the pain I went through it will be better late than never.

BRAKES SAVE BREAKS

Hightone111 likes this.
  27. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I've got a 46" Axle under my 62 Falcon..early Ford spindles and disc brakes..My Gasser will have an Injected,on Alky 427 Ford..I go fast and like it to stop equally fast..
    I've got disc brakes on the front of my Nostalgia Superstock Galaxie...Drum brakes will get the job done,but I prefer to have the added stopping ability of disc brakes..The decreased stopping distance discs will provide just might save your ass someday..

28. One other thing to throw out besides Econoline or Speedway... somebody had a thread on here recently that showed Jeep "mail truck" front axles...

Found it; 8FLEET9's Nova street freak thread.

A couple quotes:

Just a 'plan c'.

BTW, for anybody who's into the idea of discs and wants to go traditional, you can look into Crosley stuff; I remember reading about those in some old '60's mags.

-Bill

29. jpm49c

jpm49c

Well, a Crosley axle is not the strongest. The king pins are only 1/2" and 36" from pin to pin. That little black dot is the disk brake pad! Yes it's 1 1/4" across. Rotors are about 7 1/2" . And this is the heavy duty axle .
    John

Attached Files:

30. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

guys,the kid is a high school student . get the speedwaykit , use the chevy spindles in a 48 inch width and gm disc brake kit with flat steering arms and and get the rotors with ford bolt pattern as you can get either, the chevy spindles make it easier by far to set up than the ford... i think we have done over 30 speedway kits here at wr&hr ... for the money on todays streets and at your age use disc brakes. be safe not supid, as for gassers not having them , wrong lots of gassers ran em.... said the old guy ...good luck

Hightone111 likes this.