Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Speed Junky's '34 Ford pickup truck thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SPDJNKY, Dec 15, 2009.

1. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

that bed looks great..i've been searching a while for a decent one...i think i'll just make it now..

2. Thanks for the compliment!
    The bed wasn't hard to do. Even if you dont have a long enough brake you can have a machine shop bend it. The rest is simple IMO.

3. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

What helped me make my decision was how much room would be left in the cab. My steering wheel is only about 4" off the factory flat dash. It would make it a lot tighter if I would have went with a 50's dash.

4. That bed turned out nice! Good job.

-mikethegreek-

5. fleetside66

fleetside66

Wow, our beds are similar. Great minds must think alike (cough-cough). I actually had a local roofing company cut me the raw pieces. I took them home, drilled the holes & returned them to have the 45 degree bends done for the rails. I found an inexpensive 40's vintage tail gate, which needed some work, and narrowed it to fit my application. That was O.K., because the parts that I cut off were in crappy shape. I too really wanted the Ford script...good choice on our part, I think. I didn't section it, because I tailor made my bedsides to conform to the height of the tailgate. I only finished two of the "stake pockets," which are old beside supports from some other old truck. They're really more of a style thing than functional. I'm still searching for some interesting tailights to replace the generic ones that I have on now. A couple of years ago I wimped out on an ePay auction on some very cool rocket style J.C. Whitney aftermarket tailights & never saw another pair anywhere. Jeez. Keep up the good work! Mine took me about 3 1/2 years to get streetable.

[​IMG]

6. I'm hijacking my own threadd....I am looking for a nice 33/34 Ford truck passenger door. Anyone have a line on one?

7. <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000; COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I picked up a 55 Ford passenger car dash. I think it will look great in the 34. It is a wrap around type that extends onto the doors. I still need to pick up the side pieces from the guy. Not sure if I'm going to install the door sides though.
    Below is a pic of an original 34, as you can see I have to narrow it alot. I'll probably remove the glove box section and keep the center controls section. Not sure yet.

The frame is about half way finished at Hot Rod Chassis and Cycle. I'll try and get some pics this weekend.
    <!-- / message -->
    <!-- controls -->[​IMG]

8. ty1295

ty1295
    from Indiana

Very ironic being I am working on a 34 truck also, following your thread and picked up a 55 ford dash about a month ago. Mainly because my mom's first car is/was a 55 ford.

I will be curious how you adapt it. I was probably going to remove the radio section, leaving the glove box full size as I want to mount the fuze box behind it for easy access. The key dimension I don't know of yet is if the ends can be trimmer or not and leave the steering column in the right location.

9. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

What are they building for you for a chassis? Is it something simliar to whats under their 33 truck. I always thought it was a great idea how they kicked the frame in the front but left the cab unchanneled. Every little bit of room helps in these tiny cabs.

10. yes it is very similar to Hellon/Tangerine Scream. The front of the frame wont be "swept" like Hellon though. It will be bent more agressive before the firewall. The rear kick up will be the same. My cab won't be channelled. The way they do it it wont be unsightly seeing the frame. I honestly dont mind seeing the frames under hot rods if done right. Their work is kick ass in my opinion.
    I will feel comfortable dropping the hammer on the trruck and it staying together:D

11. great mind think alike?:D

12. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

You're absolutly right. If I were to do mine again I would something similar. The frame below the cab doesn't look out of place at all. I've seen their builds on here and I'm always blown away at the quailty they turn out.

13. <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000; COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    couple shots of my rear wheels and front motor mount plate installed at HRCC.

14. some more eye candy frome HRCC.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Tell me about that funky Front mount... and I see your running a 5 speed.... what kind of bell/adapter?Are you running a tremec?

Jeff

16. Whoa! That front mount is rad!

17. The front motor plate is an aluminum Diebolt. The 5 speed is a Tremec TKO600.

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

And are you running a Lakewood bell or???
    thanks!

19. HotRod33

HotRod33

That front motor plate is wild.... looks like you won't need an arm rest with that transmission sitting next to you........

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

The reason i ask is..I am running a 390 fe in another project and want to make sure I can get a bell to accept a TKO....

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks!

22. The adaptor/bell is a Quick Time- Ford FE/TKO

I got it from Kevin and Chad at Hot Rod Chassis and Cycle. They are an Alliance Vendor so you could get it thru Kevin (RAYGUN)too. plug, plug :D

23. What intake are you going to run on your FE? just curious.
    I just bought an Edelbrock cross ram as something a little different.;)

24. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

The front mount is spelled "Debbold". I've not seen another, but I'm sure they must have made them for more than just FE. I'm sure there is a vintage boat guy on here that could illuminate all of us on them.

The Quicktime bell is the only one to go with. The foot room you gain over a Lakewood, as well as the quality, is well worth the extra money. Ross over at Quicktime is a stand up guy too. He's making us a custom unit for the Chrome Czar that goes from Nailhead to Chevy Powerglide.

25. A little something different for the FE from the sea of tripower and six deuce set ups.
    [​IMG]

26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks fellas
    I am collecting parts for a 57 ford and a FE swap
    After some research a stock fe bell will work with a 390/428/tko600 swap.
    (need the short input shaft)
    intake...not sure yet.maybe a tri=power...have not got that far

The build looks supremo fellas

carry on!!!!!!!

27. Not much of an update but the chassis is getting an 8pt roll bar now. I am going to go to the track with the truck now and then so I need it to pass tech. Found a donor door to fix my passenger door thats FUBAR.
    New rearend is being built this week.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  28. some more progress...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Cshabang

Cshabang

Hows this coming along man?