Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Speed Junky's '34 Ford pickup truck thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SPDJNKY, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Little more progress. The doors are welded up and mounted. Hinges are gonna need work because the doors sag pretty bad. Rear tires came in. I got me a solid mount plate for the front side of the motor too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nice little build and should look good from your description of what you plan

3. Thanks.
    Cant wait to get the chassis work going.

4. I need to buy my cab corner patch panels. Who sells good quality pieces for my 34? Any company you swear by?

5. bikebum1975

bikebum1975

Good lookin truck bro can't wait to see her all done up I love old trucks. If it's a Ford then ya gots my attention for sure.

6. trucks11

trucks11

i was wondering, how much of a chop did you do and how tall are you? because i have a 33 ford pick up that i am going to build and have been debating chopping it but i am a little afraid to. with me being about 6'1" i would like to be able to fit into it hahaha.

7. It is chopped 4 and 3/4". I am 6 ft tall. The floor is not channelled so I will have some room. The seat height and fitment will have alot to do with how uncomfortable or comfortable you are gonna be in these cabs.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  8. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I got mine from Howells. Of all the patch panels I got from them the cab corners were the worst. They took a lot of pie cuts to get them close. I don't if that helps but its my .02.

X2 on what SPDJNY said. I'm 6' and I chopped mine 6" and channelled 4". I fit just fine but seat, pedal, and wheel placement are very important.

9. trucks11

trucks11

ok thank you for your input, i will have to keep that in mind for when i get to that project.

10. Thanks Matt. That is the answer I was looking for.
    I have found about five different places that make the corners but need to narrow down which one is worth a damn:D

11. racemad55

racemad55

From what I've seen, Salt Flats speed shop,does the best repair pieces,hands down ! saw howells in person ,crap.

12. cool, thanks.

13. brady1929

brady1929

nice hot rod project

14. did i spot jesus on the brown door on the right ???? just saying.

15. [​IMG]
    A little sneak peek at the 34's new shoes. The only shiny new item I have for the truck so far. haha:D

16. Master of None

Master of None

Nice work! subscribed! What size are your front rims?

17. 15"X5"front rims. Front Firestones are 5.60X15".
    Rear rims are 15"X8" with 8.20X15 Radir tires.

18. I had a PM asking how I did the bed. So here it goes.
    I had an original bed but it needed so much work I started my own.
    I bought a couple sheets of cold rolled carbon steel. Sides are 18ga. top rail tube is 1" sq stock. HRCC stepped the panel for me. Cadillac Tank did the 45 degree bends cuz I dont have a brake that long (5ft).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] <!-- / message -->
    <!-- controls -->[​IMG]

19. I welded the tubing to the panel. Once that was done I finish grinded the welds with 24 grit discs, followed by 80 grit then 120 on a die grinder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. I bought pockets from a company. They didnt fit real good at the top by the 45degree angle. I cut the stakes at that 45 graound them down and welded on a new flat piece.
    [​IMG]

21. I marked out the holes for the plug welds and drilled them all out. They are 3/8" holes. I finally got all them welded and the stakes are now permanently attached. I just have to hit them with the die grinder. So know the sides are done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    <!-- / message -->
    <!-- controls -->[​IMG]

22. I finished welding the stake pockets on, and dressed the welds. Now the sides are nice and ridgid.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. I replicated the sides with the step roll and welded tubing to the top rail. 90 degree perimeter bends to make a pan, and then drilled the sides to plug weld to the side panels. I think the rear roll pan will get speed holes.
    Finally all tacked together to see how it looked......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  24. Here is the front panel and an inside shot.
    I cant find a pic of the rear pan getting done. We used a pan break to make the rear pan. It's the same concept as the front minus the tubing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  25. I picked up a 1952 Ford 3/4 ton tailgate because I like the raised panels and the script. Problem is that it's way too wide and tall. I am sectioning it and narrowing it to make it work. All them blue tape area's are being cut out, then I have to weld it back up without warping it:D.

[​IMG]

26. dmw56

dmw56

Bed looks great!

27. I did a search but didn't find the answer.
    Is a 1932 Ford truck dash the same as a 1934 Ford truck dash?

28. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Close but not exact. The 32 has the football shaped center cut out where the gauge tunnel was. The 33-34 has the 3 holes for the gauges. Here's my 33-34 dash.

[​IMG]

29. I looked for about a year to find a nice 32-34 dash. Well I found one and got it off the bay. The same day a 55 Ford passenger dash fell in my lap with all the gauges and trim.:rolleyes: Not sure which one to use now. I like the stock "down to business" one but the 55 would look great in there. Boo Hoo right?:D