Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Speed Junky's '34 Ford pickup truck thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SPDJNKY, Dec 15, 2009.

1. I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd post some info on my 1934 Ford pickup. Plan is for a fenderless, early sixties traditional Hot Rod. Well my take on it at least. I bought a cab a year ago out in Detroit, and been collecting parts ever since. I got some help chopping the top since it was my first. It's got about 4.75" taken out of it. I'm still finishing welding that up. It's getting a 390FE motor and a TKO trans. I picked up a POSI 9 inch last week. Grill shell is from a 34 truck (thanks HEMISTEVE). F1 steering box with three bar chrome steering wheel (thanks MEATBALL). I still need to buy my wheels and tires. I know I want OE style chrome steelies all around, with cheaters in the rear and bias up front. Still need my front suspension too. That will be a drop I-Beam spring behind non-suicide set up. Bed was scratch built by me with some help from HRCC. Kevin at HRCC will be doing the frame work and setting up the suspension once I save my pennies. I still dont know what color the body will be but it will be painted for sure.
    I'm sure I will have plenty of questions along the way. Here's some pics so far.
    [​IMG]

2. Heres the new grill and wheel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. The motor will get freshened up and tri-power. Needs a bath and paint too:D Cab is gonna be tight but it will have a third pedal. haha
    [​IMG]

4. Heres the bed. I made it with 18ga sheet. Rails are 1" square tubing. HRCC stepped the sides for me. It's 60" long and about 18" deep. Stake pockets are from MACS but modefied a bit. Floor will go into the bed after the frame is done. Still need to fab the tailgate. I'm gonna morph the FORD logo off a beat up 53 gate I have.
    Here is the cab after the chop started.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009

5. HotRod33

HotRod33

Looks like you have a great start on your hotrod...... but I guess you could say I am partial to 32-34 trucks.............

6. Thanks. Is there a 33/34 Ford truck club or anything on the HAMB? Seems like there are all sorts of member stuff like that.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  7. It looks great. Keep it up!

8. How much out of the top?
    Is that a 312 engine?

9. earlymopar

earlymopar

Sure looks nice. I would have suggested (ahead of time) using at least 16 gage for the bed. 18 gage is incredibly thin (many beds were 14 gage).

- EM

10. HotRod33

HotRod33

Sorry, I should have told you about the social group "the box truck bastards" it is for owners of 1928 to 1934 ford trucks... So join up and put a picture of your truck there too.......

11. 4.75" chop. (I couldn't decide on 4 1/2 or 5":D)
    Motor is a 390FE out of a T-Bird.

12. I figured 18ga would be fine since it's bead rolled and each panel has multiple bends. Nothing is going in it except maybe a duffle bag or cooler. I surely don't wanna do it over again:D. Thanks for the advise.

13. Im grinding down the welds on the outside of the cab today from the chop. Am I suppose to grind the little bit of weld that came true on the inside of the cab?

14. solid

solid

yeah you can get in there and clean it up...grind too much, and you will be miggin holes.:D

15. Hellfish

Hellfish

Man, you do great work, Brian!

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Man, you chopped the hell outa that!! Looks really good. Keep us updated.

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Looks like a killer Build Speed Junky...I am subscribed!

18. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Man Brian, that looks KILLER! The bed really came out great too. I will be following, I really have a soft spot for 32-34 trucks. Keep up the great work

Dan

19. oldtin

oldtin

Sub'd
    I can't resist a 32-34 truck build. You may actually motivate some progress on my 33.

Do you have your tri-power yet?

20. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Look's good but I'm partial to 34's myself. Your avatar looks familiar and my cab is from Detroit.

[​IMG]

21. I had one and sold it. I'm keeping an eye out for another though.

22. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Cool! I really dig the '32 through '34 pick-em ups. Can't wait to see the finished product. Keep up the good work.

23. chopz56

chopz56

It's looking good Brian!

24. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nothing too exciting, but here are some pics of the back panel and pillar after some grinding and finishing Wed.
    I think this cab was a utility company cab or something. There are dents within about every square foot of this thing. It's crazy:confused:.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  25. onedge

onedge

that rear shot of the chop puts the big wide reveal on the 34 cabs in perspective more. i like that rear look. i rode in a first gen mustardstang w/ 390 when I was a kid and had to ride backseat ~get in da back~ i would say it took 3 mile for the smoke to clear out of car after the short stop in the middle of road leaving town. your doing well. i like em 32-34's.

26. It's looking great...........................I'm a big fan of the 32,33,34 trucks also.
    Good luck.

27. My dad had a built 390 in a 69 Mach 1 that was a screamer/missile. I think that's what draw me to the 390. I figured the FE would keep me traditional too:D. That and I can't pull together the scratch for a 406:rolleyes:

28. oldtin

oldtin

I will be selling an intake and air cleaner housing (no carbs) for my dad in a few weeks, not sure what he is looking to get out of it yet.

I've got a 390 tri-power, but its not going in my 33, I originally planned to put it in a 27 tudor but not sure what I'm going to put it in now.

29. keep me in mind. I might be interested.

30. Not a whole lot happening on the truck because of the holiday schedule.
    I did however order up my chrome steel wheels today from Wheelkid.
    Can't wait to get 'em.