Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Specials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ned Ludd, Jul 27, 2012.

1. 19highboy32

19highboy32

2. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

rod1 likes this.
  3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

rod1, Jet96, Old Dawg and 2 others like this.
  4. 2015rmmr-zeke.jpg We WILL again this year be headed to Monterey for the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion (RMMR). On the way we'll race at VARA's "British Extravaganza" at Buttonwillow Raceway and SVRA's Sonoma Historic Motorsports Festival at Sears Point (now called "Sonoma") Raceway. We'd like to run in more events; but, alas, many promoters feel that "PreWar" race cars are NOT an attraction for spectators.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  5. Kume

Kume

Filmed during the Chelsea Walsh Hill Climb in Auckland, New Zealand run by my local club. Not to be confused with the Shelsley Walsh Hill Climb. Some interesting specials in the Waitemata Branch compete each year at Chelsea among other events.

Old Dawg likes this.
  6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

No Indy at all? Gary

7. Gary,
    I towed back to Indy for the first event in 2014. They threw us in with a bunch of "Spam Cans" driven like Manhattan Taxi's. I watched as two guys in Porsche's banged door handles ON THE ORIENTATION LAPS! On YouTube there's a video showing a Porsche bouncing off the wall and vaulting over a Formula Ford, missing the Ford driver's head by inches.
    I drive hard and fast; but I don't think foolish! I don't suffer undisciplined amateurs well.
    So...never again.

JK

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Dang. Got ya. Gary

Old Dawg likes this.
  9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yes, Serious racing is not just about going fast there is the plan to live to race another day. You can't allow someone with no such plan to spoil yours.

Old Dawg likes this.
  10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

11. Joe McGlynn

Joe McGlynn

I just read through all 20 pages of this -- great fun! I love the central idea of a "special". Starting with an existing chassis and building a lightweight body. Clearly, there are no hard and fast rules. Some of these have heavily modified chassis, some have scratch-built chassis. It would be pedantic to try to force them into specific buckets.

The coolest thing to me is the "simplicity", or maybe "approachability" of the idea. Starting with a (at the time) commodity or reasonably available chassis and turning it into something special like the Baldwin special. Pretty car, built with stuff that at the time was probably fairly common and uninteresting.

Flash forward to 2018 - could people do this today? In California where I live there is an unfortunate emissions inflection point. Starting with something newer than 1975 equals heavy-handed smog restrictions. Not to mention a rapid acceleration into mostly unitized body/chassis construction.

So, starting from 1975 and working backwards, what are everyone's thoughts on suitable donor cars? Ideally you would want something that had a full frame and clear title. Narrowing and/or shortening the frame might be OK but it would be ideal to avoid building everything from scratch in order to keep the focus on simplicity and low cost.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

13. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Man... that was a rush. I wonder how many of those he passed had no idea he was coming? Gary

Jet96 likes this.
  15. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

gnichols
    What would it be like to have a perfect run? be geared perfectly for your course. that guy must really know that road and his 1931 car. Classic, Man and machine.

cactus1 likes this.
  16. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Brilliant piece of period newsreel footage there -thanks for posting. Conjuring a 1930's Austin Seven saloon (Sedan) or upright Ford Popular or Anglia into a lightweight sports car was what was going on in countless lock up garages here in the 1950's when hardly anyone in the UK had enough money to buy a -then modern- Triumph TR, MG "A" or Austin Healey. Construction of my avatar special was started in the late 50's but it took my two elder brothers rather longer to complete it than that film clip suggested:) But this car does bring a smile to my face every time I drive it...

motoklas, Ned Ludd and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

My project
    Hand built body
    My own chassis
    Ford inline six w/ experimental crossflow head

sr_072.jpg

motoklas, Jet96, Old Dawg and 4 others like this.
  18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Flyer, That's the most complete picture I've seen of it. That's a big car and looking good. What powers the tow vehicle, another 300?

19. Joe, I think you'll (if you don't already know) that California allows a number of "Special Constructor Cars" each year. In my case, I have a T-Bucket with a 1962 SBC 283. For smog checks all it needs is a "Closed Crankcase". I also have a '32 Ford 5-window, with a 360 SB GMC, topped with a V6-71 Detroit Supercharger. The chassis and body have a '32 VIN. The engine is a 1970. It needs NO smog check. You have a DMV referee in your area. Find out who and where he is; and check with him for specifics if you have a project in mind. He's not at you local DMV office. In our area, for example, the referee is an automotive instructor at the local Junior College. He was a great help on my projects.

motoklas likes this.
  20. @foolthrottle that video is great! That thing boogies! Anywhere to see pics of the car featured?

21. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Michael Vock is the driver look up Prewar Riley.com

22. Thanks I'll check it out!

23. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

cactus1 likes this.
  24. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That's an interesting site. It resists hotlinking, though, so with apologies to its owner I'll have to get creative – later.

Also a few good examples of "fats and skinnies", including on a very interesting V8-60-powered special.

cactus1 likes this.
  25. 62rebel

62rebel

I think I've found my thread for life

cactus1 and Ned Ludd like this.
  26. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Here are a few Riley specials, gleaned from the above German website by brazen chicanery – though with all due apologies. Historical examples:
    Beavis.PNG
    Dixon.PNG
    Gibbs.PNG
    Golder 2.PNG
    Golder 3.PNG
    Tooley GN.PNG
    Treen 1.PNG
    White.PNG

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    motoklas, rmcroadster and Six Ball like this.
  27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Historic examples of "fats and skinnies":
    Adsum.PNG
    Beavis 2.PNG
    TT Sprite 2.PNG
    TT Sprite 3.PNG
    TT Sprite 4.PNG
    TT Sprite.PNG

28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That interesting Riley-V8-60 special:
    Lytle V8-60.PNG
    also with "fats and skinnies".

This one is powered by a rare Autovia V8:
    Autovia V8.PNG

29. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Six Riley 12/4 specials:
    12-4 special 2.PNG
    12-4 special 1.PNG
    12-4 special 3.PNG
    12-4 special 4.PNG
    12-4 special 5.PNG
    12-4 special 6.PNG
    and a Nine-12/4:
    9-12-4 special.PNG

Six Ball and motoklas like this.
  30. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

A few hairier builds:
    Ford-Elf 2.PNG
    Ford-Elf.PNG
    Ford.PNG
    Grenade.PNG
    TT.PNG
    Rattus norvegicus.PNG
    (a bit too much Rattus norvegicus to this last one ...)

rod1, Hnstray, Dave Mc and 4 others like this.