Register now to get rid of these ads!

Special Shift Knob

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gumpa, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Gumpa

Gumpa

Anyone know where I can get a shift knob shaped like a Rose? Gumpa

2. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

No. But i'll keep my eyes open for one and if i see one i'll post it up for you.

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Try making one. Or check out the local floral shop. The one my mom works at has glass flowers. Imamgine one of them dudes breakin' off in your hand!

4. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

What about the guy on here that does all of the shift knobs of skulls with leather helmets and things on them. A rose would have to be easier than that stuff. Maybe he could whip one up for you.

5. Skattruggles

Skattruggles
    from Dixon, CA

I know that i've seen wooden roses before. Try yard sales or something. Old ladies usually have a lot of stuff like that. Then just tap it and put it in.

6. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I have seen some cool ones made by a blacksmith. I would go to talk to your local one.

7. Anderson

Anderson

I might try a place that does rod iron fences. They make some pretty ornate fences, and a rose about the size of a shift knob seems likely to be found on one of those fences. Would probably be cast metal too, so easy to drill and tap.

8. how about a finial froma curtain rod or stair railing or something?

http://www.cassidywest.com/products/ca_finials.html

*the softer side of nate :)*

9. Gumpa

Gumpa

Hey those finials look real good (a little big). 3 inches wide by 5 inches tall. The Theme of the Dodge is "Roses" for the wife so I have to find something. I will try to find one at the fencing places. Thanks Guys, Gumpa

10. TINGLER

TINGLER

How about encasing a real rose inside some clear resin.

I would think that would look cool.........

I guess its possible. Your local craft store should have a resin kit. Find a plastic ball the size you want and cut it in half for a mold.

I don't know, I'm just speculating since I've never done one....but how hard could it be?

11. bonesy

bonesy

Here is a link to do the above:

http://www.koolknobs.com/samples.html

12. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

if all else fails, i could work something up for you. have a big pour to knock out in a week or two, and two or three custom commissions and at least two new knobs to sculpt after that, but i could probably make somethin happen if you wanted.

13. Cruiser

Cruiser

You can have one made by anyone who does lost wax casting. Look under castings in your telephone book or on a inter net search. I had a bull nose made for my '49 Caddy at a casting place that make way out parts for motorcycles. You can get some wax from the casting place and carve it out yourself or have them do it. A hobby shop may have the wax. There are artists who work in the lost wax process try your local art association.

Be cool:cool:
    Cruiser 49

14. The dude at my local chinese restaurant carves a mean rose out of a radish or a carrot!! :)

15. Gumpa

Gumpa

There is a guy in Raymond that says he can do lost wax castings and he says he knows how to use real flowers to do it. I think I am going to see what he can come up with. He said he will do one and see what I think before he actually does the pour. Gumpa