Register now to get rid of these ads!

special insurance requirement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nifty, Jun 28, 2013.

  1. nifty
    Joined: Jan 7, 2007
    Posts: 477

    from UK

    I live in the UK and I'm heading to California in October for a holiday, taking in the CHRR whilst there.
    The plan is to collect my partially completed '40 Merc from Sacramento (Kevan's lair) and to spend a fortnight cruising CA.:D
    Currently the car isn't registered in my name and still has MN tags.

    How do I go about getting insurance to cover me for the two weeks? I hope you guys can explain the different processes to me, remember I'm a Brit who hasn't got a clue about how your system works.

    Thanks in anticipation of your help.
  2. boldventure
    Joined: Mar 7, 2008
    Posts: 1,766


  3. oldolds
    Joined: Oct 18, 2010
    Posts: 3,325


    I would have you friend where the car is stored give you his Ins. agents phone number and talk to the agent. I would guess you would have to insure the car for a quarter, 3 months, at least.
  4. GassersGarage
    Joined: Jul 1, 2007
    Posts: 4,727


    Carry all your paperwork and apply ay DMV for an emergency operating permit. This is good for 3 months and use to be $13. Then call your insurance agent and have the car insured. Be sure and carry proof on insurance.

  5. 1971BB427
    Joined: Mar 6, 2010
    Posts: 7,555

    from Oregon

    We use trip permits here. Not sure what other states call them, but they can be purchased for varying lengths of time, and don't require you to register the vehicle in the state to buy the permit.
    Insurance shouldn't be an issue. Either contact your agent, or an agent in the states and ask about buying insurance for the short term. Might have to pay for longer, and then cancel at the end of the trip to get a refund.
  6. nifty
    Joined: Jan 7, 2007
    Posts: 477

    from UK

    Thanks guys that's some good advice. I'll be checking the DMV and CHP websites for Q&As.
    First thing is to check whether I need to have the car registered in my name.
    Second thing is for me to work out CA's requirements for car tags/testing etc.

    Plenty for me to do before I get there! Can't wait

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.