Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Speaking of tapered reamers...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Jul 6, 2017.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I have to get a 7 degree reamer to ream the drag link hole in the steering arm of my '34 project, which got me thinking about my (stalled because of the roadster) '63 Riviera project. I have new original style ball joints in the control arms, and I'd thought of using a pair of '93 Chevy Caprice spindles and disk brakes, complete, that I have on the shelf. When I tried to test fit, if memory serves the Chevy spindles have a larger hole for the upper ball joint. Does anybody know if these are 7 degree like the Ford reamer I ordered? I could weld the holes full, re-drill and re-taper to fit the Buick ball joints, and "Bob's yer uncle", disk brakes for the Rivi for FREE!!
    18033252_10213386147590787_8755428478524244129_n.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. tom in nh

tom in nh

Use a protractor.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. What?, no slide ruler?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I never learnt no trigernometry... Ah's hop'n sumbody on thishere inter web would know...

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

6. man....when I was trying to add disk brake to a factory big block mid 60's Chevie....loooong before the aftermarket DB guys.....I figured the lower a-arm is the same to 1970....and the upper would inter change as well.....on a big Impala....so 69/70 steering arm would work on the a-arms - WITH THE RIGHT BALL JOINT ! Maybe yours could be also ?

7. I can't remember the actual taper on the Chevrolet stuff, but about 30 years ago, I had a friend make up some tapered bushings to install 1970 Impala spindles with disc brakes on a 1955 Chevrolet ball joint(and car)

8. I was thinking of a tapered bushing too. It could be made from a bronze alloy and the press fit in the spindle could be very light, it isn't going anywhere once everything is tightened up.

9. Just caliper the middle of the taper,,it's close to the same or not ??

10. If'en you do weld up a hole; be sure to Tig it, mig will be too hard to work with.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

When you get the reamer it should be easy to tell. I like tapered end mills better than reamers for less money..

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Kato Kings likes this.