Register now to get rid of these ads!

speaker wire. what size??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kanadia Kev, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Kanadia Kev

Kanadia Kev

im puting in an alpine deck with 50 watts per speaker. is 14 guage too big or should i go smaller? ive got two speakers in the doors and two in the back seat area. should i run a biger wire for a longer run or the same size? thanks

2. skipperman

skipperman

Yea---use the 14 ga. If ya go to a bigger amp you'll still be OK............More important is to watch speaker PHASING!!! Make sure + goes to + etc.If ya don't know which is + on the speaker use a 1 1/2 Volt battery and touch a couple wires between the battery terminals and the speaker connections...........you'll hear a "scratching" sound......watch the CONE of the speaker....when the + terminal(of the battery) pushes the speaker OUT---THAT's the + terminal of the speaker.(if it pulls IN--reverse the battery leads)To find + from the radio you'll need a multi-tester---set it at DC volts and hook it to 2 radio output wires(same channel---should be + and -) ---the meter will indicate if you have the connections correct(red on +)Then connect the + (red lead on multi-tester)of the radio out put to the + terminal on the speaker.........
    Phasing will increase BASS response noticibly over an out of phase system(most HOME installs are out-of-phase)...........hope I helped..........

Jersey Skip