Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spark Plug Wire Assembly Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Iceberg, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Iceberg

Iceberg

I just bought a new set of red plug wires & stainless wire loom from Flathead Jack. They came as bulk wire with instrutions for the two piece spark plug ends (Rajah) but none for the distributor cap ends (w/ boots). How do you install the plug ends and boots. Do you strip to the core wire or just strip the rubber coating? How do you crimp the ends? Special tool required? I know it is kind of a nub question, however in all my years I have never had to assemble spark plug wires.

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Just push the boot on first. strip about 1/2" of the insulation off. Fold the exposed strands back over the end of the insulation. The brass connector gets crimped around the insulation over the strands completing the connection. I usually use a common set of pliers to crimp the brass while trying not to flatten the end of the wire. Sometimes you have to do a little shaping to keep it round so it will fit the cap.

3. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Putting the boot on first is key to this...it's a real pain in the ass trying to put it on after you've got the terminal on there already...

4. You'll have a bitch of a time putting the boots on dry. I don't like to use oil on them, but a little bit of spit will help them slide right on...

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    You'll have a bitch of a time putting the boots on dry. I don't like to use oil on them, but a little bit of spit will help them slide right on...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah I forgot to add I like to use some liquid dishwashing soap as a lube. Get a bottle and keep it in the shop. If you have it there you'll find all kinds of uses for it.

6. LIMEY

LIMEY

Accel make a neat tool for crimping the ends, really quick & they will not pull off....great investment.