Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spanners Racing secret weapon.

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by spanners, Jan 15, 2019.

1. spanners

spanners

I just thought I'd post a new thread to wake the forum up. I've made a change to the HAMBster in the hope of curing the problem with lack of traction. Short of de-tuning the engine, (that ain't gunna happen), I've lashed out and bought some new treads. The old ones were 14" but my theory was that by changing up to 15" I'd get a slightly larger footprint due to more rubber in the circumference. It wasn't an easy fix due to the early Holden rear end having 5x108 PCD centres. I had to track down some 15 x 6 rims that came out on cars known for being 'boxy but safe'. (European) It required a 1358 kilometre (841 miles) round trip on New Years eve to get them but what else do you do when bored. Mind you, 3/4 of that trip was done with the Nissan Navara in limp mode due to another faulty turbo sensor. Don't you just love modern shit.
    My other theory was that the change in diameter would create a slight lag in the engine and resist spinning the wheels. If that doesn't work I'll swear loudly, call myself a Dickhead and bolt the old ones back on.
    By the way, this is a secret weapon so keep it to yourself. I'd hate for my competitors to know what I'd done.:D
    Secret weapon.JPG Secret weapon skids.JPG

Just had to get the waxy coating off the tyres:rolleyes:.

Crosley likes this.
  2. robsimmons

robsimmons

Looks like it didn't cure your traction troubles... LOL

3. spanners

spanners

There were extenuating circumstances at play here. The tyres had just been fitted and were at 32 psi (I usually run them at 14psi ),I'd rolled through the soapy water left over from washing the whitewalls and I was being a mug lair in front of my 6 y.o. granddaughter. Her only comment, " Poppy, you didn't have your helmet on".

Crosley likes this.
  4. robsimmons

robsimmons

5. BS!

BS!

Looks good!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

6. spanners

spanners

How's your car coming along? Will you be at the Nostalgias at Willowbank in April?

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Youa could always fill the tyres with water to add weight for traction. Works on farm tractors.

8. spanners

spanners

It would make the ride, er, interesting to say the least.

9. BS!

BS!

Slowly coming along. Having to make some modifications to the roll cage for tech after the debacle up here but slowly getting there. Prob won't make April but hoping to have it done and tested prior to 6 bangers.

10. spanners

spanners

How much did you have to change? Just the front bar of the cage or more.

11. BS!

BS!

At this stage had to go from 4pt cage to 6pt cage and a few other small tweaks that got picked up on the pre inspection. Spent the day with Steve and Jeff getting most of it sorted. See if/What they want next. [​IMG]

Crosley likes this.