Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spalding Flame Thrower - streetable? Parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jun 27, 2008.

1. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

how would one of these work with say a modern day 350 sbc??????

2. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

one Ive got for a good old SBC,havent run it yet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 2Hep

2Hep

I sold one to TOUCHDOWNTODD here on the HAMB, he's got in his olds powered coupe and drives it around, I've got for my OLDS but am in themiddle of a build so haven't tested it yet. Drop Todd a PM and inquire-
    Brian

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

What looks like a crack was there when I ran it. I took it apart before I sold it and the cap was still in one piece. The crack? doesn't go anywhere near the path of the voltage so I don't think it will provide an unwanted path for the voltage. It wasn't for me. The gasket will keep out moisture which is often the downfall of a cracked conventional cap. Take the 2 screws out and see if it's still in one piece.

5. No that you mention it, I believe JimA told me that after I bought it.

6. They work as well as any distributor in the weather. If the car has a hood, your good to go, if not, like any distributor, they suck if they get water inside. Like I said, I used them on the street for years with no issues. I loved mine and would use one again.

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm actually going to make a hood for road trips in the event that I would run into some "extra moisture" falling from the sky, so I guess I would be alright anyway.

8. Sorry to burst your bubble, but no....not easy OR cheap to make. I looked into it a few years back after speaking with Tom Spalding (son of the original Spalding) after he gave me the ok to do it.

I have a close friend who owns a scanning company and another who is a mold maker. Even with those 2 connections it was still going to cost around $100.00 per side plate if I made 100 of them.

While they look simple, they are actually machined to extreme tolerances. That's what made the cost so high. Plus, from what I understand they are a b**** to mold.

I'm still contemplating making them if I couldl get enough interest in them. I'm not looking to retire off of them, just wantt to make my money back and get some vintage ignitions back up and running.

Don't even get me started on making the rotor......:D

Matt

9. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I've been wanting to try to make some or have some made but I haven't been able to find a busted cap to cut up and use as a pattern.

Anybody have a broken one that you are willing to sell?
    Let me know if you do. I've had an add in the wanted section for a while but no luck.

I will buy a rough distributor for parts if anybody has one.

10. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

I used to run Spalding Flame Throwers on a 57 Mercury Marauder with a 430 Lincoln motor and also on a 50 Merc also with a Lincoln motor other then the "What the hell is that" factor or the Hey what kind of magneto is that from car show dopes who wanted to sound like know it alls they were more trouble then they were worth. Sure if your only gonna drive the thing to cruise night once a month or to the burger joint with your wife occasionally it might be "trouble free" but if you like to DRIVE your cars preferably any where you want any time you want do yourself a favor and bag the spalding, I cracked a cap on the way out to Michigan one year and sat for two days looking for parts, never found em so I bought a distributor that would fit and it took the parts store two days to get it.

Think about it this way, your using 1950's technology in 2008, whats wrong with that picture. Back in the day we we were all about putting the latest and greatest thing on our cars to make em go faster so why would you want to take a giant leap backwards? There are so many electronic ignition set ups out there today that are reliable , relatively inexpensive and can be hidden in a stock distributor or already come in an old looking points style dist. No need for the big old ugly GM HEI things.

I'm all for nostalgia and old classic stuff but when it comes to building a car I go for safety, and technology to make the car a better more reliable driver and I dont care what anyone says you can still build a cool car.
    If your still sold on the Spalding do yourself a favor and become a pack rat as far as parts for that thing go cause you know no one is going to ever make new stuff for it ever again.

11. I have a cap with a hairline crack, but I'm told it still works. Maybe I can make a pattern for you without damaging the old cap? I like old stuff, I don't care about electronic this and new technology that. I'll keep a distributor under the seat.

12. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Richard,

I have a distributor with two good caps that I can use for a pattern. I need a bad one that I can get the brass insert out of for a pattern. If you run across a good one and want to sell your cracked one let me know.

13. O.K. but mine isn't really cracked, just looks like it. I am keeping an eye out for spares, I'll let you know..

14. Let's see if there is enough interest on here to make it happen.

So who on here would be interested in a pair of reproduction side caps if Fox Valley could have some made?

15. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I hate to be the guy who says you are wrong but in this case I am doing just that. You are wrong. With the help of GMC Bubba on here I rebuilt and installed mine and left for Florida from Indy 3 days later. I have had it in there since and anyone who knows me will vouch, I have a driver!.

I will agree that parts are nonexistant. I do carry a complete spare ignition system in my car. When I say complete, I mean complete. Dizzy, wires, coil, resistor, plugs, cap, rotor, gasket, and the tools to change it if needed.

Are they the best distributor available, I dont think so,.....But they are about as cool as you can get!

16. About the only thing cooler would be a magneto, much less reliable for street duty(and that is also up to argument).

17. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Cool is ok when your parked at the burger stand or the local cruise night with the hood up. When I'm driving it's all about what works and what works best. I polished the dist on my latest motor and thats enough cool for me. I will give you that it's a cool/different looking unit

Maybe some yuppy genius will make a cover that looks like a Spalding Flame Thrower that goes over the top of a stock distributor!!!!!!!! like those fake Hemi valve covers for a Chevy Small block

18. You sure you are on the right forum? Because your REALLY do not have a clue!

19. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Well, I know I'll probably get bashed for this, but I noticed nobody has mentioned the great Vertex® and Joe Hunt® fake magnetos that are actually HEI distributors inside. Taylor makes them and those folks are a pleasure to deal with. I ran one troublefree in my last hot rod....there is nothing on the exterior to indicate it's anything but a real live name-brand magneto. They're high-tech, yet fit the bill for those of us that like the "back in the day" look.

Yeah, they're a bit pricey, but based on what I'm reading about R&D on side plates for those Spaldings....you get the look you want and the reliability and performance most of us are looking for.

"here...pull my finger..."

dj

20. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I have built 5 of these units and have two apart on the bench now as we speak.
    One for merc duece man ( El Tiki) being chromed and another customers unit being powder coated.
    They are a great distributor!!
    By using two coils the wires run where they should and by using only four cylinders the heat etc is cut in half as well as point wear etc.
    The rotors are bullett proof and like 29 sedan man said , we built his and he took a 2000 mile ride and its been running every since.
    The only bad thing about these units are they are pretty scarce!!
    PM me for a hamb special rebuild on your unit! As long as it isnt busted up they will build and curve on a machine very nicely!!!!

21. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I ran one for years on my Olds powered Duece with no problem. My tach was
    cable driven off the front of the crankshaft.

22. the shadow

the shadow

here's an add from an old "honest charlie" catolog

[​IMG]

23. I really should take you up on that, mine could use your magic! I have not got the car done that it is going into yet!

24. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

On second thought, you are right. These are junk and running a new out of the box distributor is the way to go.

Why you are at it dont run any of those drum brakes, carburetors, or bias ply tires because there is nicer, newer stuff, that works better being made these days.

Just do us one favor.....Let us have first dibbs at your "junk" before you pitch it!

As far as the yuppie Genius making covers goes, I will stick to my local hillbilly genius and his distributor machine building us reliable versions of the real thing!:D

25. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

So let me get this straight, your into old school bias ply tires and drum breaks and 1950's technology really cool looking stuff but you use a computer message board to voice your narrow minded opinion. So you use modern technology when it suits you and trash talk those of us who have left the stone age and moved on.

I PROFESSIONALLY restore Harley Davidson's Indian's and other vintage motorcycles for a living so don't give me a lecture about vintage parts. If you want a piece period correct you use exactly what it came with and you basically have a motorcycle you can look at but not ride reliably for any length of time or distance. If you want to drive it use, and enjoy it you upgrade where ever possible with modern and safer technology.
    I liked that "Fake" magneto so much I ordered one last night so say what you want but I will have a modern part on my engine that has the look of old school and you know who I have to please ME cause I'm the guy who paid for it. As far as going through my old junk I send old junk to the scrap yard where it belongs

26. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I am not saying you should not use new things or new technology, I am just saying that some of the old stuff people bag on for not being any good for a driver is bullshit. Some of the old stuff if properly maintained is perfectly streetable.

You cant bolt it on and forget about it by no means but to me the best part of this hobby is the tinkering with the car itself.

27. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

How does a Spalding compare to a Rotofaze?

28. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Yep I love the drum brakes, old 60's points mallory distributer, 60's mallory coil, and i'm sure i'll love the bias ply's and BUILT 301 that are going in my 64 camino this month

I have NO Ignition problems
    I have NO braking problems
    I have NO reason for more than 4 gears

it should be as fast as any modern car brakes as good too... i'm figuring when i get the suspention figured it should be a good match for a new Vette

NOW GET BACK TO THE SUBJECT