Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Gofannon

Gofannon

I suspect it might also have something to do with only having 6v coils in those days. They are definitely an overkill, after all what's the safe RPM limit for an old stovebolt? 6000 RPM? I read somewhere those Spalding type ignitions were effective well in excess of that. I hope Pat can find an original, it just wouldn't quite be the Spalding Special without one.

volvobrynk, brad2v and bowie like this.
  2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Well, I got started on building the front radius rods, using an old ladder bar fixture I had. For the purpose of getting a visual, I tack welded a 1/2" nut on the side of the frame for a temporary mounting. As I said in an earlier post, I didn't want to weld female rod ends to the back end of the bars, like the original. One reason is for replacement, and the other is the fact that these units will be chromed. The gusset in the picture is just a pattern, made out of aluminum, I will have some real ones laser cut next week. More to come, thanks for following ! IMG_5891.JPG IMG_5892.JPG IMG_5894.JPG IMG_5895.JPG IMG_5896.JPG IMG_5897.JPG IMG_5898.JPG IMG_5899.JPG IMG_5900.JPG

3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Steve, The side-plates arrived on Friday, they will allow me to mock-up a rear axle assembly, complete with brakes and radius rod brackets, while doing the machine work on the final product. Yours, and others support is greatly appreciated ! I should have both of the front radius rods, and axle bracket mounting completed this coming week. Once Pat gets to look at the project, and is satisfied with the proportions, the next move will be to take the body apart and get the pieces sandblasted. We can "blank-out" the RH door and add the round tubing support the the perimeter of the bucket. Then the body will be stout enough to make the side cutouts, needed to clear the rear radius rods, and prepare for some mounting brackets.

1947knuck and volvobrynk like this.
  5. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Marty,

This build is a fantastic showcase for your fabrication skills and Pat's vision for a long lost icon.

I look forward to further posts as you progress.

verde742 and volvobrynk like this.
  6. That's great Marty - hopefully you can make them work. Do you know what was used on the original? Did Pat Warren offer his own side plates as well (I assume that he probably did)? If not, can these be modified to look like the originals?

Steve

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Hello, I am back with some progress on the front radius rods. Using a scrap of bead board for a plasma cutter guide, and a hole saw for the center hole in the gussets, along with the welding they are nearly complete. IMG_5902.JPG IMG_5903.JPG IMG_5904.JPG IMG_5906.JPG IMG_5907.JPG IMG_5909.JPG

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now for the installed pics. When I finalize the spread on the front mounting brackets, Torsion bar arms, and lever shocks will complete the package. When I am satisfied with all mounting locations on the axle, I will roll 7 degrees of caster, and tack all of the brackets. The next hurdle is to get the complete mock-up rear axle in place and build and mount the rear radius rods. Stay tuned. IMG_5910.JPG IMG_5911.JPG IMG_5912.JPG IMG_5913.JPG IMG_5914.JPG

9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I mocked-up the rear axle today, by widening one of the rear axles donated for this project. This only a temporary set up, that will be used for defining the finished width, and mounting the rear radius rods. Halibrand Steve shipped us a pair of "Culver City" Halibrand side-plates, and I had a "well used" Halibrand center section, so that is what I used. This will allow me to carry on with the project, while we get the "Pat Warren" rear axle done up properly and completed. I am looking forward to a visit from the "Tall Cool One" real soon, to see what he thinks of the proportions. I will keep you posted ! IMG_5915.JPG IMG_5916.JPG IMG_5918.JPG IMG_5919.JPG IMG_5920.JPG IMG_5921.JPG IMG_5923.JPG IMG_5922.JPG

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Marty, what a great job you're doing. Thanx for letting us hawk the build with your photos. Gary

12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

nice workmanship and clever thought processes

13. oj

oj

Great work and explanations. I may have missed it but is that whats called a 'live axle?' And is it a single rod passing thru the housing like a floater or is the ringgear pinned directly to it?
    School us.

14. rooman

rooman

In this case the "live axle" refers to the fact that the axle itself is exposed and not running inside a housing. The axle is one piece and has a flange in the middle that the ring gear bolts to. It spins in bearings in the side bells. The hubs are keyed on the taper at the outer ends and run in a bearing that is housed in the part that the radius rods attach to (generally known as a "birdcage" in the circle track world). Late model open wheel circle track cars run the same basic package but usually have splined axle that the wheel attaches to along with a separate birdcage to hook the radius rods to.

Roo

youngrodder1929 likes this.
  15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

OJ, This one is using a 2" - .0375" wall 4130 tube, that has the ring gear mounting, sweated and plug welded on. 2013-08-18 170033.jpg

1947knuck likes this.
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Roo, for the excellent explanation, I will be giving you a call !

1947knuck likes this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

More pics, Pat and his Wife Anna stopped by to check out his car, and drop off the Dennis Webb seat. He even wanted to try it on for size ! IMG_5927.JPG IMG_5936.JPG IMG_5930.JPG IMG_5938.JPG

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  18. Gofannon

Gofannon

The grin says it all.

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

It doesn't matter how old we get we just have to do that!

I sold this guy (forgot his name. He is on the HAMB) the drop tank (old Carni. ride) and delivered it to him at El Marage. He just had to sit in it. Couldn't help himself. Then we took a ride in his motorized Davenport. Interesting guy, interesting day, beautiful lady. I love this hobby.

Gary

DSCN0004.jpg DSCN0014.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    1947knuck, Okie Pete and volvobrynk like this.
  20. Did Pat make noises like a Chevy 6? ;)

volvobrynk, hendelec and Jiminy like this.
  21. alchemy

alchemy

Put, put, put, put. ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Or pop pop pop.

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now that Pat came by and got to look it over, it's time to reinforce the body. I took the body apart and will be taking it to the sandblaster today. The next chore will be shaping and welding some round tube to the perimeter of the bucket, fab and install a blank panel in the RH door opening. IMG_5947.JPG IMG_5948.JPG IMG_5949.JPG

1947knuck, HEMI32 and volvobrynk like this.
  24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Nice game plan. You are doing it the right way. Go easy on the sandblasting so as not to distort things, although if it does distort it looks like you have the moxie to pull things back together. Maybe soda or walnut shells instead of glass beads?

25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Frenchtown, The guy I have been using for blasting for the last dozen years, is very careful, and I have total confidence in him. He uses fine sand, blasts at different angles, and doesn't dwell in one spot, for very long.

26. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Yes, we are finally back from a great 3200+ mile 2-week vacation trip, but one of the first highlights for both Anna and me was to see Marty's shop and finally see my roadster for the first time. Wow. You can see the masterful work Marty does from this thread, but I must say how impressed I was at the condition of this 90-yerar-old body. No rust to speak of, no dents--I don't think it's ever been hit! That turtle deck is near pristine. So I thank Marty for finding it, and I thank Chip Starr for selling it to me to start this whole thing way back.
    As you can see, I fit in the car. Easy! No, I didn't need to make noises. If you wan to hear some good 12-port six noise, search for Eagle Field or Antique Nationals (Fontana '15) coverage, showing the Iacono digger running.

For those who were asking about the Pat Warren QC's and open-tube axles, I'll attempt to attach one of their early ads. As far as I know, they developed the "live axle" rears, which essentially incorporates a spool and axle as one continuous piece. Later, they were known for their 2-speed "shifter" QC's.

Can't wait to see what Marty does next. Guess I'd better get that engine put together.

Cheers,
    PWQC.jpg Pat Ganahl

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Pat, It's good to hear you are home from your trip, and it was a great to have you and Anna stop by. I got the body back from the blaster on Friday, and will pick up the turtle deck tomorrow. On the driver side down low, after the bondo was removed, we have some rust to repair. It happens to be in the vicinity of where I will be cutting slots for the rear radius rods. I have a few small cracks to weld up, while adding the round tube to the perimeter of the bucket, and closing the RH door opening. The dents in the rear panel, will be covered by the rear deck, but we will clean up that area. All in all, we have a great candidate for this project. Also, a young friend of mine building a 36 Ford PU, brought me a transmission, I think it will be usable, and it was free !!!!!!!!! IMG_5950.JPG IMG_5951.JPG IMG_5952.JPG IMG_5953.JPG IMG_5954.JPG IMG_5955.JPG

28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I just picked up the turtle deck, it needs a minor patch panel to the driver side mounting flange. The small dents in the rear body panel needed some attention, I used a "low crown" anvil in the English Wheel, and did a little "smoothing", Pat will work his magic on the imperfections. IMG_5958.JPG IMG_5961.JPG IMG_5962.JPG

29. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Jeez Marty,
    It's a circle track car for cryin' out loud!
    "After the first race, you can walk on the hood" - Bill Jenkins

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Gofannon, Babyearl and volvobrynk like this.