Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Wow !! How awesome is THAT !!! (?) Looks great, too.

Happy Happy Birthday @pgan !!!

Man that is too cool. Hope to see you two, team up again. Build something else.

Hamtown Al, loudbang and hendelec like this.
  2. Fun video. Happy Birthday @pgan!

Hamtown Al, loudbang and hendelec like this.
  3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

That's awesome! Happy Birthday @pgan!

Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  4. primed34

primed34

Happy Birthday

enloe, Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  5. loudbang

loudbang

Good way to celebrate. :)

enloe and Hamtown Al like this.
  6. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Happy birthday @pgan

loudbang likes this.
  7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Hot Rods keep you young FOREVER!!!

loudbang likes this.
  8. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

. . . and here's another shot of that not-little kid playing with his toys . . .

southcityrodandcustom_20210602_152445_1 copy.mp4

(Anyone know how to make this work for us? -- way past my digital knowledge.)

loudbang likes this.
  9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I can't find the image for you, where is it on the blog?

loudbang likes this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We have some progress to report, and since Pat is busy with his Blog, and working on the Spalding, I am going to post some of his pictures. Now that his 33 Sedan is finished, he has been finalizing, linkages, plumbing and details. He has it torn apart, to paint the frame and make his decision on chrome plating. Pat 8.jpg Pat 7.jpg Pat 6.jpg Pat 5.jpg Pat 4.jpg Pat 3.jpg Pat 2.jpg Pat 1.jpg

11. Thanks for the update.

loudbang and hendelec like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking forward to seeing it move along. Such a great build

loudbang and hendelec like this.
  13. Roadsir

Roadsir

Great news! Excited to see updates.

loudbang and RICH B like this.
  14. Jiminy

Jiminy

Thanks for the update Marty.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Thanks for helping Pat out with an update, Marty!

loudbang likes this.
  16. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Just like a model car kit:D

hendelec and loudbang like this.
  17. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Hey Marty, Thanks for posting these, as well as this whole thread. I just got some fresh DP primer/sealer yesterday and will primer the frame today, hopefully make it orange early next week. Also took the first load of chrome (axle, hairpins, drag link, etc.) down to Buena Park yesterday.
    But I have one problem, and I'm cautiously asking HAMBers reading this to hopefully help me out. My engine came with three Stromberg BXOV 2 1-bbl. carbs, same as what Spaldings first ran. They haven't been run since '48-'49, so are in excellent condition. I got rebuild kits from Carburetor Carl, and Tom Taros cleaned and rebuilt the carbs "as is." He also measured jets, air bleeds, dump tube, etc. and I have those measurements. However, these carbs were run on alcohol, which I was going to do. But not being able to find a "right" alcohol-friendly elect. fuel pump, and knowing what a hassle cleaning everything is with alky, I decided to run the car on gasoline, which will be simpler and more practical all around. The problem is that I can't find anyone who really knows anything about these carbs today. I can't even find a good stock "core" to see what jets, etc. it has in it for gas. I'd even settle for a manual (or copy) with an exploded view, and hopefully spec charts for jets, etc., for different stock applications. Then, once I can get a good idea of what sizes I need, I need a source to obtain these components (I can get main jets--same as 97s--but might need bleeds, tubes, etc.).
    I've been told about CarbKing here on the HAMB, and will try calling him Monday. But if anybody here has any actual experience with these carbs, on gas, and can give me either good specs, or even a good stock carb to see what's in it, or maybe even a copy of a Stromberg factory manual covering the BXOV 2, I'd be very interested in learning or obtaining it. I'm talking actual experience or hard info, not "I had a friend once who ran those." I'd certainly appreciate it, and of course I'm willing to pay. You can PM me here, or email [email protected]. Thanks HAMBers.

18. loudbang and saltracer219 like this.
  19. @Pete1 may be of some help, he raced back then.

loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  20. AmishMike

AmishMike

Interesting problem curious to see result of carb changes needed. Science says energy in 1 gallon of gas is equal to 1.5 gallon of alcohol. 2/3 size jets may be start point but you do need expert tuner that has history of these changes. Look forward to results

loudbang likes this.
  21. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I believe that the Holden Repair Manuals from the late 60's and early 70's had very detailed sections on these types of carbies - may not have been BXOV2's but were certainly BXV's.

finding one in the USA may prove to be a challenge.

loudbang likes this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  23. carbking

carbking

Difficult to really get into this without knowing more about the BXOV-2 carbs. Stromberg only made 86 different versions, in at least 3 different venturi sizes.

However, assuming whoever converted the carbs to alcohol did it correctly, then the following items would have been modified/changed and will have to be changed back: idle jet, main metering jet, main discharge nozzles, power valve, fuel inlet valve, pump jet, and possibly the power valve actuating valve. The air bleeds were probably OK, but hot rodders change lots of parts.

I PROBABLY have all the parts ONCE the exact carburetor identification can be determined, but some of the parts (idle jet, especially the main discharge nozzle and power valve actuating valve, if needed) are all pricey.

Might be less expensive to start with three different BXOV-2's, again assuming these can be positively identified, than converting these back.

Forget looking for a manual for the BXOV-2.

Virtually ALL BXOV-2 carbs were sold as aftermarket; the exceptions: one year Studebaker (1940 is in my memory), and American LaFrance (2 on a V-12).

I have Stromberg type breakdown on my website:

B = type B carburetor
    X = cross flange
    O = slightly oversize throttle bore
    V = vacuum power system
    2 = S.A.E. size 2 flange

The production B series Strombergs were BXV-2, and BXV-3; Chrysler Corporation used lots of BXV-3's. Many different models of Dodge passenger and truck from about 1939 through 1952. Won't help with parts calibration, but should explain the BX series carburetors.

Dodge truck service manual is probably a wee bit easier to find and a whole lot cheaper than one for American LaFrance V-12.

Stovebolt - some of the 40's and 50's Holdens used BXOV-1 carburetors. Same design, but smaller (S.A.E. size 1).

Jon.

24. OK, I want to know WHY the Spauldings went with such an obscure carb!?!?! Had to be some solid reasons?

loudbang likes this.
  25. carbking

carbking

Possibly because it is one of the best single barrel carbs ever made, and probably the easiest to tune in a multiple configuration?

Jon.

Tim, Cymro, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  26. I will take your word for it!

loudbang likes this.
  27. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I would try calling Mr. 97 the Stromberg reproduction man he may have resources

loudbang likes this.
  28. Gofannon

Gofannon

Holden HQ used BXUV-2 or BXV-2. I have an SP Workshop Manual for HQ-HJ Holden that covers those.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Gofannon

Gofannon

I don't know if this will help, but here's the relevant pages from the HQ-HJ workshop manual.
    upload_2022-2-6_16-37-50.jpeg

upload_2022-2-6_16-37-18.jpeg

upload_2022-2-6_16-36-56.jpeg

upload_2022-2-6_16-36-3.jpeg

upload_2022-2-6_16-35-34.jpeg

302GMC, Blues4U, Hamtown Al and 4 others like this.
  30. Gofannon

Gofannon

And a BXOV-1 from a 1958 copy of AutoServ Book II.

upload_2022-2-6_17-6-9.jpeg

upload_2022-2-6_17-5-53.jpeg

upload_2022-2-6_17-5-35.jpeg

brEad, Blues4U, Hamtown Al and 6 others like this.