Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Well, Jim, thankyou very much for the excellent photo and the nice words. I have a strong hunch you had something to do with my nomination in the first place, being a deserved HOF member yourself. And thanks to all the rest of you for your kind words. I started going to these Gas Ups at Mendenhall's Museum in the beginning, and was always amazed to see how many of the famous names of hot rodding were there, mixed in the crowd. As I said from the podium yesterday, I thank all of them for letting me interview them--as well as letting me copy (or keep) their vintage photos--so that I could do my part to preserve this important piece of American history. This is an honor. Thanks for the appreciation.

Pat G.

P.S. It's totally off the subject, but semi-amusing: I made the 3-hour drive up from L.A. to Buellton with no problem in my '32 roadster (other than freezing). But I didn't see this post until this morning because I got home late last night. The roads are so bad between Santa Barbara and the Grapevine now that somewhere between Fillmore and Santa Clarita I hit bumps that were bad enough to tear an upper rear shock mount off the frame. Fortunately some guys in a passing car made me understand something was wrong, so I pulled off in Sylmar, saw the dangling shock rubbing on the ground, and--with no tools in the car--finally figured I could tie it up to the frame using the lanyard from my nametag that you can see in the photo. Worked great.

2. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Well Pat, nothing like roadside repairs to make a good story even better.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I love Duffy's Eliminator.
    I love Pat's entire body of work.
    I love Tom's accomplishments, and his retelling of them on video.

Atwater Mike, brad2v and loudbang like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Pat and Marty, 'teamed up'...Spalding roadster as 'witness'.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have been wondering, do you suppose these are Model A front hubs, with the long snouts ? Model A stuff is new to me, as I have always used V-8 brake parts. Details bug me, but you should know that by now.
    Spalding 2.jpeg

6. alchemy

alchemy

Well, those are definitely not regular 32-48 hubs.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have a couple of rolling A chassis, and what I can't see in this shot, is the crimps in the snouts on the Model A hubs.

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  8. I just dumped off a pile of A hubs and drums in the kids scrap pile; sure look like the hubs in your picture.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Are you referring to the indents that the outer race seats against? The hubs on the chassis almost look like a there is "bulge" around the middle of the snout; but the spindle side sure looks Model A.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Gofannon

Gofannon

I think they were truck hubs of some sort. Re-read the articles.

RICH B and loudbang like this.
  11. According to the HRM article hubs were Lincoln.

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Gents, I will look into Lincoln hubs, that would make sense as they ran front brakes at Bonneville and El-Mirage, but not on ovals.

13. Gofannon

Gofannon

14. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Marty and Pat, I just finished rereading all 52 pages, have been following since the start but have never read them all at once. It's a amazing build and congratulations to y'all for pulling it off. Now for some action shots in color. Thanks for the ride Frank

15. verde742

verde742

Marty your work, and your buddy Lonnie's works, are absolutely just un comparable.

Love all 52 pages, so far....
    thanks for all the pictures and info...
    Bob

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Bob, I have been fortunate to have friends like Lonnie Gilbertson and others who influence me to do my best, and have a lot of fun along the way. With the shortage of complete build threads these days, I am planning on a complete build (fabrication wise) of one of my standard issue Track Roadsters very soon ! BTW, now that Tim is retired, you need to ride along when he drops by for a visit. img20161106_16354394.jpg

curbspeed, 1947knuck, Stogy and 26 others like this.
  17. Blown Red Ram

Blown Red Ram
    from Kelso,Wa.

The next time you're up here Bob , I'd be happy to take you to Marty's place! Tim

18. @Marty Strode, looking forward to that build thread on your track roadster!

1-SHOT, Stogy, bymanr and 3 others like this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Marty Strode: The Gift that keeps on giving!

Anxiously awaiting your track roadster thread!!! Thank you for having me (us) along on this Spalding journey. So many parts made in house. Just thrilling!

a boner, Stogy, Bowtie Coupe and 3 others like this.
  20. But what about the RPU Marty?

Bowtie Coupe, brad2v and Blues4U like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And the Topolino!

Bowtie Coupe and Dean Lowe like this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mike, Dean and Doug, I am busy doing my outside work and getting my 40 PU off to paint. The other project I have been working on, "The Puritan" a 23 Fiat that was featured in Hot Rod in Nov. '55 is nearly done. Sometime in October, the plan is to get the Track Roadster in and out of the chassis jig, then get the 29 RPU started, and work on both concurrently. Since I bought a fabricated frame for the Model A, that will speed up the progress, and the fact that it will wear it's existing black paint for a while, will be a time saver as well. I am excited to see Jim Stevens 29 RPU, B/SR back in action, and maybe I can line up with it at Eagle Field some time. As far as the Simca/Topolino it will have to wait a while, however I am still collecting parts and finalizing my strategy on that one. Thanks for your interest my friends ! IMG_2804.JPG IMG_3403.JPG IMG_3411.JPG IMG_3422.JPG

1947knuck, Tim, Stogy and 14 others like this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Just to promote the Eagle Field track and my pal Rocky. Jim's RPU is now owned by Tom Scardina. Eagle Field.jpg

1947knuck, Tim, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  24. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

Jim Stevens himself will be in attendance!
    IMG_5330.JPG

1947knuck, UNCLECHET, enloe and 6 others like this.
  25. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg Patiently waiting!

enloe, Bowtie Coupe, Tim and 4 others like this.
  26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It won't be too long ! BTW, that shot was taken when we took #7 on it's inaugural ride down the road. img20161106_16203802.jpg img20161106_16215163.jpg

1947knuck, Stogy, enloe and 15 others like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is kinda on topic and bringing threads back to the top is always warranted...A Hamber just recently posted a thread with a personal collection of 12 or more Chuck Meschter's Models up for grabs it seems and all are period Hotrod Racers which makes it that much more special...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hand-built-brass-cars-works-of-art.1177210/

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  28. embyman68

embyman68

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Marty Strode, @pgan you both should visit this Thread to see the collection. I suspect there may be other Racers in this group the Yellow Flamed Roadster looks very familiar...It's interesting Chuck did models of what people commissioned him to do and this collection is commissioned by another Hotrod Enthusiast... @FleaBiscuit's Father...

Marty I noted you mentioned in the beginning these racers saw many types of Race Duty in their evolutions...quite interesting...It was hard on them though with many not making it through to today unfortunately...

It truly is amazing to see you recreate past excellence...

FleaBiscuit1.jpeg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hand-built-brass-cars-works-of-art.1177210/

Credit to Photographer, Owner​

41 coupe, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Well, it's been over a year since Pat received the car, he has been busy putting the final touches on his 33 Sedan. He is about ready to install a flywheel/clutch and starter in the Spalding. It was time for me to build the driveshaft to fit the torque tube in the car. It took some searching to find the notes I jotted down with the measurements. I always shorten the shafts, based off of the snap ring groove at the front. It works for me to make a life size layout for reference. All that is left to do, is the welding. IMG_4312.JPG IMG_4314.JPG IMG_4316.JPG IMG_4317.JPG IMG_4319.JPG IMG_4320.JPG IMG_4321.JPG