Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pat and I have been friends for years. Meeting Marty made my day at the show. I talked him out of a nice tee-shirt. IMG_1973.JPG

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks, Jimmy it was a fun event.

1947knuck, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

image.jpg Thank You Marty and Pat for being the highlight of our trip!! The car looks amazing and man did I sure enjoy your stories about the Albertson-Olds dragster and Pat's stories about blasting down the road with Pete and Jake among others.
    Please keep the updates coming and hope to see you guys at The Hot Rod Hill Climb in September.

4. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Man, what a blast - see Vern Tardel crossing the "line" and checking out an inliner car.

Maybe a leopard can change its' spots?????

You guys got any t-shirts left, for us out-of-towners? maybe an XL?

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mark, I can fix you up, and will be in touch.

6. rudestude

rudestude

Ya Marty time gets away pretty quick....when I first got into the circle track thing I was talking with a guy about how hard you can push it into a turn...his advise was just keep pushing it harder and harder till you hit the wall ....then back off a little from there........it worked...without to much damage.....

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v, tractorguy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  7. rudestude

rudestude

1947knuck, Stogy, 50Fraud and 6 others like this.
  8. Great talking with you Marty! The car is spectacular!

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Likewise old friend, I am glad you and your treasures survived the fires. And thanks !

1947knuck, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

11. Hey Pat and Marty it was great to see you guys at GNRS! The car looks absolutely killer! Best regards Greg Stokes

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

1947knuck, Stogy, TerrytheK and 5 others like this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It was great to meet you Greg, and quite a show !

13. redo32

redo32

Don't know if you and Pat are posing with the car or models for Jim's book "The Bastards"

Stogy and rudestude like this.
  14. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,
    I'm a little disappointed. Not in the build, that's TERRIFIC!

I just don't like that it is crammed in behind a table in a small booth. I would like to have seen it out in the middle of a large area with a bunch of guys legs and feet sticking out from underneath. Better yet, in the pits at a dirt track. Even better, sliding through a turn with the tall guy cranking in a bunch of counter steer!

What a great car! I would drive that everyday!

brEad and loudbang like this.
  15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Any other requests Bruce ? Like maybe the feet sticking out should be wearing penny loafers ? Thanks for your support and advice, you are a real important asset to this forum.

1947knuck, loudbang and rooman like this.
  16. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Well, I guess I should put my 2-cents in here, because that's about all I have left at this point. Yes, Bruce, we were disappointed in our small space, too, but even that was quite pricey. And we couldn't have been there at all if Jim Lindsay hadn't enlarged and shared his space with us (as well as trailered the car down from Portland). My first race car was called the Low Buck Special for good reason. That's my usual budget, by necessity. This is the first car I've ever had someone else build for me. You've all seen the amazing level of work that Marty has done on it, literally from the ground up. He should be charging me considerably more than he has. In fact, I'm ashamed that I can't afford to pay him considerably more. I'll leave it at that.
    But yes, I fully intend to get this roadster on some dirt tracks, get it sideways, make noise, and get it plenty dirty. And hopefully run it at other places, too. But there's still a lot of work to do. At this point I need to recoup and recover just a bit. But when I make further progress, I'll report here on the HAMB.
    Finally, I want to say a big THANKS to all the people who came by to say hello, see the car, look it over, and say how much they appreciated it. Both Marty and I appreciated that. Thankyou.
    Best, Pat

1947knuck, Stogy, John Starr and 27 others like this.
  17. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Well chosen words Mr Ganahl. Kudos for the brainstorm of bringing a very important piece of underrated automotive history and ingenuity back to us masses. That Strode feller did a pretty decent job with it

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, brEad, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  18. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Truly jealous Pat...The Iacono rail and the spalding Bros recreation, two of my favorite cars since a kid , both inline 6s and both iconic forms of hot rodding from the 50s.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  19. It still exist...
    upload_2019-2-2_8-2-31.png upload_2019-2-2_8-2-56.png upload_2019-2-2_8-3-40.png upload_2019-2-2_8-5-15.png

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not related to Pats remake of the Spaulding Roadster but today Pat was inducted into the Dry Lakes Hall of fame as historian of the year. Pat has done many articles over the years of LSR competitors including one of my first LSR cars back for Street Rodder in 1978. The photo is of his acceptance. IMG_2047.JPG

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks for posting, very deserving honor.

1947knuck, porkshop, brEad and 6 others like this.
  22. Good for Pat. He deserves all the recognition bestowed on him.

23. loudbang

loudbang

Good to see he got the recognition he so richly deserves.

24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding Congrats Mr Ganahl.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

25. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well-deserved!

loudbang, lumpy 63 and Stogy like this.
  26. Pat, congratulations, you're one of a very few who are keeping our sport alive with great reporting, builds, and Pictures.

27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another note to the Dry Lakes Hall of Fame Induction not concerning Pat; another guest I saw and it took a while to remember who he is and totally unexpected to see there was Tom Jobe of the famed "Surfers" At the end of the ceremonies I went up and introduced myself and told him how much I appreciated his 51 segment interview of his experiences of the 60's and how special it was to me and hundreds of others. I believe he was actually shocked, shook my hand and thanked me. He said he was hoping that his interview would lead to many more of other racers of this era all over the US doing the same. He talked of attending the upcoming Nitro Revival 3 and the Lions up coming Reunion.... What a Day.

28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jimmy, I have watched many of that series of interviews with Tom, very entertaining and informative.

1947knuck, loudbang and lumpy 63 like this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

loudbang likes this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

No hijack here, Dave has been a supporter of this thread, and one of the good guys !

1947knuck and loudbang like this.