Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Leo, there is never a dull moment around here, Jim Lindsay dropped this off, when picking up Pat's car, so I can finish what I started last year. SPEEDWEEK is coming. IMG_2650.JPG IMG_2651.JPG IMG_2652.JPG

2. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Damn that Spalding looks good on the ground. The ultimate track roadster and something to be very proud of

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Marty.Thanks again for a great ride along on Pat`s car.It was outstanding while it lasted.If you start a thread on your current project,please post a link to it.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

1-SHOT, tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  4. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a fantastic build, Marty. Sad I won't be at GNRS this year to see both you and the car. You and Pat should be extremely proud of the recreation.

vic

loudbang likes this.
  5. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Wow. I was afraid I wasn't going to get a word in edgewise here. I, too, am very much looking forward to seeing this car when it shows up in Pomona this week. But to get the full impact of what Marty has done, go back to page 1 of these 50. I just went through the first 10, and it's humbling. Yes, Marty found me a pretty good '23 T body to start with, but he even replaced much of that. With hardly any store-bought parts, Marty literally hand-built this thing from the shop-floor up, even fabricating the frame rails from sheet-stock (like the Spaldings). You just don't realize how much work is in it until you go back and look at it. Yes, it is simply amazing.
    What's more, it's only been 3-1/2 years. I had to count that up a few times to believe it. Of course it seems like much more. Yes, there were several diversions along the way. But...But...it's simply amazing.
    My most sincere gratitude to Marty for all he has done. It has been nothing but a positive pleasure working with him throughout this project--as I knew it would. A lotta fun, too!
    Thankyou Marty. Thankyou very, very much!
    Pat Ganahl

Atwater Mike, 1-SHOT, das858 and 23 others like this.
  6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Just excellent!

loudbang likes this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bruce, That pipe is heavy wall, and out there a ways. I didn't have time to jack weight around, maybe we will have to find a track that runs clockwise.

1947knuck, 1-SHOT, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Maybe fat wheel spacers on that side???

tractorguy, Tim_with_a_T and loudbang like this.
  9. gary kessler 1932

gary kessler 1932

Marty&Pat, what a great job u guys did,can't wait to see it!!!

loudbang likes this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This talk about weight percentages, this is the weight with me in the seat. Right now it has 48% cross weight, and 47% left side. When it gets a flywheel, clutch, starter, and guts in the trans, along with a battery and 10 gallons of fuel, let's see how the numbers come out. Right now it has 53% rear weight, that will only get better when fully equipped. IMG_2632.JPG

11. Excellent numbers Marty

loudbang likes this.
  12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

You did an outstanding Job Marty! Your fabrication skills and excellent of the various sub projects of the build have been fun to watch, educational and an inspiration to many!
    Sam

Stogy, loudbang and brad2v like this.
  13. .... total bill-able hours, kind sir ??

:) Yeah I know ... but man, I have to ask !!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Sorry Kid, that's confidential !

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man asking build hours, or how much was spent on a build is worse than asking a guy what his wife or girl friend's bra size is.

Stogy, Tim, 36 ROKIT and 1 other person like this.
  16. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Yeah, and neither Marty nor Pat want to know how many hours are really in it.

17. :rolleyes: Hours spent guys. I didn't seek Pat or Marty's wallet sizing. Nor do I need to know about anybody's boobies, mine are just fine.

Just inquiring on whether he kept track of the hours required to build this beauty. A dear work, time click diary. A life ticks in creations, such as this. Soooo' down in front please. The show goes on.

This whole thread is a great treat here. I can't believe it's over, in regards to leaving Marty's hands. A phenomenal craftsman !! One of the great ones !

God bless you, Marty. This place is better, because of you. Thank you so much for every post.

Stogy and brad2v like this.
  18. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

wow great fab skills as usual!

loudbang likes this.
  19. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Bitchin' car and bitchin' job on this car, Marty!

loudbang likes this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

2878E50D-546E-44EA-B328-D2C7A319CBFD.jpeg Looks like it made it safe!

1947knuck, jbob1944, 1-SHOT and 20 others like this.
  21. Another great one Marty

loudbang likes this.
  22. bymanr

bymanr

Anybody else have some photos of them at the GNRS they can post for the rest of us to enjoy?

23. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Just got back from show , car was as bitchin in real life as what we've been seeing on the hamb! Marty It was an absolute pleasure speaking to you and hearing the ins and outs of the build . Once again thanks to you and Pat for recreating this car, I have loved the Spalding Brothers car since I first saw it in old Hot Rod mags as a kid. :D

jimmy six, loudbang, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  24. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I couldn't get any photos ...way too packed:confused:

loudbang, Stogy and bymanr like this.
  25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I was there today too, and spoke with the boys. The car looks great! I did take some pics, but it was hard to get to it, so I really didn't get anything any better than what's in this thread. Well, I haven't actually uploaded the pics from my camera to the computer yet to take a look at them, I'm just not expecting much. If I'm wrong and I have something worth sharing I'll post it up here.

Marty, thank you for the great conversation, it was very enjoyable.

26. rudestude

rudestude

First off congrats Marty on yet another perfect example of Hot Rodding history built with your expertise to detail and your abilities in recreating traditional builds of the past into new builds that do not stray to far from the original concepts and traditions of the way they were back in the days.....and secondly today while cleaning out some well established clutter in one of my rooms I run across some informational literature that I got from you many years back when I was coming over and getting fitted for one them Out Law Hardtops........ya I don't throw nothing away.... I am now though... .running out of room... I will put this stuff back up on a different shelf and probably hang onto it another how ever many years it's been ...one day I need to get back over your way ...maybe pick up some new paper work on something else.....anyways ...once again great job on the car...... Thanks
    Terry (aka Rudestude) IMG_20190126_234655_1~3.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1947knuck, Stogy, rooman and 3 others like this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Terry, Those handouts were from 30 years ago, my, how time flies. Building and racing those cars created great memories. 2012-09-01 072424.jpg I certainly learned a lot about suspension, steering and had a lot of fun learning to turn left.

1947knuck, 1-SHOT, TerrytheK and 5 others like this.
  28. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Damn Marty , you haven't changed a bit!

Stogy likes this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

To quote Dorothy, "There's No Place Like Home". I am still tired, but glad to be back. I have been telling people in our hobby, it's not about the cars, it's the people involved. Along with all of the gracious HAMB members I met (many from Colorado), and enjoyed visiting with, many of the luminaries and my old friends either stopped by, or I bumped in to them. This will boring, as I am a known name dropper, but this list was a good one. Our own Dean Lowe was the first, followed by 2 other 29 roadster PU guys, Joe Cardoza and Phil Lukens. I have a mutual friend of Jackie Howerton, so I introduced myself, and took Jackie to see Pat's car, as he has spent his life building and racing cars that evolved off of the design of the Spalding. I came back to the booth to find an LA Roadster member talking to Pat. He and I really hit it off, talking about the history of Moon Equipment, as he started working there as a kid. When I asked his name, it was quite a treat, Doyle Gammel. He came back the next day with a large album with some great shots of Dean's stuff, and the Jado Coupe, that he raced. Two others that I spent lots of time with, Nick Arias 3, and Joe Abbin. I had a nice visit with John Babcock who owns Powermaster, as I did a fair amount of work on his "Afterglow" 40 Merc 20 years ago. It was great to talk with Vern and Keith Tardel, as I hadn't seen either for some time. Let's not leave out Robert El,Williams, P-Wood and Nick and Ken from the Hot Rod Works. I thank you all for spending time with me ! IMG_2679.JPG IMG_2695.JPG

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    1947knuck, UNCLECHET, 1-SHOT and 10 others like this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Lumpy, it was great to meet you, you are TOO kind !

Stogy and lumpy 63 like this.