Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. louisb

louisb

Subscribed and waiting on email updates for Pat's R&C!

--louis

loudbang likes this.
  2. 'Bout time Pat.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Do you have this photo Pat? Cool that the lakester is Wayne 6 powered, and the Spaulding roadster is in the background.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  4. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Dean, don't if anybody else can, but I can't see the image you posted...so have no idea if I have it. Want to try again?
    Thanks, Pat

loudbang likes this.
  5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

No image.

loudbang likes this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

7. Still nothing.
    Try giving it a lil' more gas. :confused:;)

NoSurf, loudbang and Jiminy like this.
  8. Gofannon

Gofannon

Obviously running in X0 class??

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  9. Was no XO class in the 40's. Just cubic inches. And how did you see the photo, when apparently no one else can?

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  10. Dean, I can't see what you posted but is this the photo you have been trying to upload?

jill813_jill813-R1-E018.jpg

11. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Wow, Thanks Dean very much for trying to put this up...and thanks Jimmy B for actually doing it. This is a great photo to start with. I think I may have a B&W version of it (note shadow of other person with camera taking similar photo). But I've never seen a color photo from the first Bonneville meet, AND this is one of the better depictions of the color orange on the Spalding car. By the way, the two-tone green '47 Chevy Fleetline next to it was the Spalding's push-and-tow car, often seen next to the roadster at lakes meets.
    As many know, Marvin Lee blew up the 12-port Chevy in his City of Pasadena "tank," so the Spaldings generously loaned them their own engine to run at that historic meet. I can't remember if Lee made any good runs with it, but it did mean no records for the Spaldings.
    Thanks both of you for ultimately posting this. Any idea who took it? I am going to copy it and save it in my Spalding Bros. file.
    Pat Ganahl
    PS: You guys are so good at finding photos...Stories by Greg Sharp on the famed Ike Iacono GMC-6 dragster state that it was originally built by a Laird "Lefty" Pierce as some sort of "streamliner" ("Patterned after the famed German Auto Union of the '30s") and entered in this first Bonneville in '49. He said it had a crude body with wheel fairings, and the driver sitting ahead of a flathead V8, and "it made the meet, it was less than successful." Since I now own this car, I have searched everywhere for a photo, or any other evidence, of this car, but I have also been "less than successful." Anybody out there have anything?

12. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Since you guys have shared so many good photos with me, here are a couple relevant ones from my files. I think they both came from Tom Spalding Jr. The one at Bonneville is labeled "Tom, Bill, and Wayne Horning." The one at El Mirage shows the Fleetline in the background. As far as I can tell, the car was always orange (GMC Omaha Orange, same as the Iacono rail), but in B&W photos the shade changes dramatically, from light to dark. Don't know why.
    dad, bill, wayne horning bonnevill 49.jpg Gal-II-2012.jpg
    Cheers, Pat

13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Color shade change?
    Come-on Pat, you're a photographer from the film days,, it depends on film type and if the photographer is using a filter to enhance the black and white image,, was it green to enhance the sky or was it the red filter? Then once in the darkroom, or if it was sent out to be printed, you have the printing filers to 'help' the image... Even now when I convert my color digital files to black and white, orange is the one color that I fight all the time, it will go from a shade like yellow/white to black/red.

14. Gofannon

Gofannon

I'm sure I posted this pic early on in this thread, but that was before PhuckitBucket screwed up all my posts. Thanks for putting it up.

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and Jimmy B like this.
  15. @pgan, happy to help. That photo was taken at El Mirage in 1949. Next to the Spalding T is the Path-Moore streamliner ex-Karl Orr modified. Photo was taken by Warren Durkee.

HEMI32, Just Gary, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Blew up the orange roadster as big as it would get. :)

2.JPG

17. Joe McGlynn

Joe McGlynn

Wow. Who needs a time machine. That is so damn cool to see - I missed it in the background.

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

If all these old photos really blow your skirt I recommend Don Montgomery's books on hot rods of that era.

https://www.amazon.com/default/e/B001K8D544?redirectedFromKindleDbs=true

Pricey, but we have a good library system and if I request one of them they either buy it or requisition it from another library system. I've even gotten some from The Library of Congress.
    [Finally, my tax dollars going toward something useful.]

19. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Pricey?? Check out this listing, and I am sure Don would be wishing he was getting a cut.
    Don M.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  20. Very nice car, very clean and straight forward, you should be proud.

50Fraud and loudbang like this.
  21. hendelec

hendelec

I am sure they are flying off the shelves for $5.000 + !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Ummm. If you like these vintage photos of hot rods, lakes racers, and such related things, might I humbly suggest either of my two last books: Hot Rod Gallery; Hot Rodding's Gold Years, and Hot Rod Gallery II. I'm pretty sure you can still get them from CarTechBooks.com, at least in paperback, if not hardcover. And Amazon has them for very decent prices. You might even try ordering one from you library. Just a suggestion. The author's name is Ganahl...Pat Ganahl. Just suggesting. PG

23. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

I think I've heard of that guy, really knows how to do a book!!!

24. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Yea but I think he retired, and is holed up in a small dimly lit garage building traditional hot rods with four doors.

25. robert4005

robert4005

Wow! Just started the thread 3 days ago, blown away! When I was a kid I used to play in an old 49 Chevy pickup my grandpa had sitting in the pasture and read your articles in Street Rodder. Been an inliner and AD truck freak my whole life. Current projects are a 302 gmc powered 47 Chevy pu and the beginnings of a 392 hemi powered 29 model pickup. You’ve been a terrible influence on me sir!

Bowtie Coupe, brad2v, brEad and 2 others like this.
  26. Joe McGlynn

Joe McGlynn

Pat or Marty -- could you share the basic dimensions of the Ingels-style nose on this car? Height/width/depth so I can get the scale right would be a big help to get the scale right. Any other measurements like the radius at the corners (what would be the back of the buck by the radiator) would be useful to get it dialed in accurately.

I've always been interested in metal shaping and I'd like to try making a nose like this for fun. I love the history associated with this. Sorry if this is a weird request or imposition. My plan is to draw it up in CAD and build a buck to work from. Sort of like this, but the shape is very different from the one on the Spaulding car, much deeper and more rake at the front.

I'd be happy to share the CAD work and buck plans (on another thread so I don't further hijack this one). Back to our regular programming now...

nose2.JPG slicer.jpg

27. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Joe, that nose and buck look beautiful, but they look more like illustrations than photos.
    Of the 6 to 8 noses Art Ingels made (from the same buck), each was different and tailored to a specific car. Dennis made ours working from the buck I remade (from the original), and many different photos. He didn't have the car to fit it on. Now Marty is tasked with trimming this nose at the back both to clear the axle/suspension and to get the vertical angle right. So we won't know the depth of this nose until that's done, and the depth also affects the width and height. Marty took several measurements off the Navarro car's nose, but ours will end up considerably different. So unless Marty says otherwise, I'm afraid we don't have answers for you now. PG

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  28. Joe McGlynn

Joe McGlynn

Thanks Pat.

To be clear, the picture I posted was a CAD model, not an actual physical part. As you pointed out, the best plan is to make the nose to fit the car. I spent some time yesterday modeling something that is closer to the Ingels nose on the Spalding car. I need to stare at it (and pics of the original) and see what needs to be tweaked to get the proportions right. But I think this is in the right neighborhood at least.

If I decide to try building one I'll start a separate thread for that. I should really be focused on my Dream-Truck-inspired custom, but this really caught my interest.

IngelsNose1.JPG IngelsNoseSize.jpg

29. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Joe, you obviously have computer skills way beyond mine. And you have the right idea--given a starting point or model you like, design the part to fit your own car, however you want. That's the fun of hot rodding.
    Being naive and overly optimistic about computer capabilities today, and having some connections at Art Center College in nearby Pasadena, I thought maybe we could get a grille made from scanning the many photos/angles I had collected of various Ingels noses/grilles, and ultimately making the part on their 3-D printer. Of course the scanners and/or CAD-CAMs won't "talk" to the 3-D printer. Some genius has to write a full computer program. Ultimately they told me it could be done...for about 12 to 14 thousand dollars! That's why we had Dennis hand-craft ours.
    However, here is one good head-on, non-distorted photo of an Ingels grille he made for a previously unknown '34 Ford. I made a full-size blow-up of this for Dennis to use as a pattern. While all the noses were a bit different, the cast-aluminum grilles were all identical, made from the same mold. This is just FYI. I like your design.
    Greg Grille 2.JPG
    Good work. Pat