Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Good to see that you're still in touch with your inner Jesse James...

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey Larry, long time no hear!

3. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Been busy with the boy but I still TROLL the HAMB and try to catch up with Marty less often than I'd like to. This is a fun build to watch as always from the montaindale garage 8558.jpeg 20180306_191753.jpg 20180306_192340.jpg 15948.jpeg

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Larry, It's great that you are spending quality time with Tyler, did you know I was a Cub Scout once ? As far as the reference to a certain metal shaper, I did get one of his endorsed bicycles for my 65th Birthday, along with a crate engine. See you soon, PIR opens in a couple of weeks ! 2015-01-10 130657.jpg IMG_4939.JPG IMG_6278.JPG

5. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Ha! I had no idea that you used to smoke! Little bastard...

loudbang likes this.
  6. Nice upgrade to the two wheeler!

loudbang likes this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I never really smoked, that was a staged photo, but I am sure I was referred to by that awful name !!!!!

1947knuck, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  8. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Thought it was a pic out of Jim Lindsay's "Little Bastards" book but the more I look at it that really is you! Hilarious. Don't worry about the label, I've been called worse by my ex wife. See you soon indeed my friend

loudbang likes this.
  9. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Marty, now you're showing off! It's really nice to see exactly how one of those hood humps is made (or at least one good, talented way to do it). Too bad we can't make something this nice in the hood of the Spalding car to clear the carbs. What they made back then was considerably cruder. But maybe we can improve on it just a little bit? I'm getting anxious.
    Pat

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I rolled the Lakester outside today, to get a look at a distance. The canopy and the engine cover are still in the mock-up stages, but it gave a pretty good idea of how to pursue the rest of the metal work. IMG_1654.JPG IMG_1659.JPG IMG_1663.JPG IMG_1670.JPG IMG_1672.JPG

1947knuck, BigO, The 39 guy and 16 others like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The lakester is looking good. I have one of those bikes out in the garage with one of those littl 70 CC boy go fast motors on it. Done up more as a bobber than a race bike.

loudbang likes this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

Looks fast just sitting there. :)

1947knuck, enloe, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I tackled the nose for the Lakester, first making the buck out of 3/4" MDF. Then, followed with some annealing, stump shrinking, and generally beating the aluminum into submission, I was able to wheel it out fairly smooth. Today I am making the sides, and trim everything to fit. The good part is, that the car will be leaving for a short while for preliminary wiring and plumbing, and I can get back on the Spalding. IMG_1683.JPG IMG_1685.JPG IMG_1698.JPG IMG_1702.JPG IMG_1699.JPG IMG_1703.JPG IMG_1704.JPG IMG_1706.JPG IMG_1705.JPG

1947knuck, The 39 guy, Tim and 15 others like this.
  14. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Marty and I have both been diverted by other projects, but I'm glad to say Dennis Webb has been tediously working on the nose and grille for the roadster, and called me last week saying it was ready for me to come get. He knows Marty will have to trim the sides considerably both to make it more vertical and to clear the axle, shock arms, etc. But this is what Dennis made, all completely by hand, and I am honored to have his work on my car.
    nose15.JPG
    Dennis also had this pair of Kurtis hood-strap buckles, cast in brass from the original patterns and nicely chromed, tucked away in a drawer in his shop. So I added these to the project.
    nose17.JPG
    Finally, last weekend at the L.A. Roadster Show swap meet I scored this pair of absolutely beautiful Rotoflo A1 shocks--for a decent price no less. These will replace the incorrect smaller ones currently on the front.
    nose19.JPG

I'll be sending all this up to Marty shortly, and he'll be reporting on further progress soon.

Cheers, Pat

15. I saw those shocks and figured you'd be along to snap them up.

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally, last weekend at the L.A. Roadster Show swap meet I scored this pair of absolutely beautiful Rotoflo A1 shocks--for a decent price no less. These will replace the incorrect smaller ones currently on the front.
    View attachment 3944526

Gene told me he sold them to you to cheap..;)....however he does follow the build here on HAMB....:D

brEad, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  17. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Hey J.D.--I said I got them for a "decent" price...not cheap! (But I've seen others for sale, in worse condition, for very indecent prices.) Gene Barbee said he brought these out hoping I'd see and buy them, and he said he charged me what he paid for them. I was more than happy to pay that price and I thank him VERY much for doing so, on all counts.
    PG

brad2v, Tim, jimmy six and 4 others like this.
  18. Cool finds. Glad to see them added to this build.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  19. Joe McGlynn

Joe McGlynn

Just wow.

Marty and Pat, thanks so much for documenting the build of this special car.

Over the past couple of days I've read through this thread from the beginning, and I'm very impressed with the fabrication work on the body and chassis. Not to mention the crazy amount of sleuthing and engineering going on to build the engine. This is obviously going to be a very special car, and the opportunity to see the ins-and-outs of the construction is such a great opportunity.

Much appreciated!

brad2v, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I spent today fitting up a header for my friend Mitch Kim (master pinstriper). He is building a 29 PU shop truck, with a 181 Chevy Mercruiser. With two single barrels, and a cam it should get around just fine, and have the "banger sound". IMG_1752.JPG IMG_1754.JPG IMG_1757.JPG IMG_1759.JPG

21. Joe McGlynn

Joe McGlynn

Hi Marty, I had a question about the motor mounts you made on Mitch's PU. I understand the gusset on the bottom, but why is the top cut away to expose it? It doesn't seem to be a clearance thing.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Joe, I thought it would look better than a large flat area, and it did get your attention. Thanks for your interest !

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  23. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Lightning hole ;)

loudbang likes this.
  24. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Neat ground clamp! Gives me better options to use on future projects.

Stealin' tech and pickin' brains keeps it all fun on days when fabbing parts doesn't always go the best.

Thanks for all the posts on, and pics of, this build, I've learned a lot!

Ed

TerrytheK and loudbang like this.
  25. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! One of the best threads on the HAMB.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Joe McGlynn

Joe McGlynn

I'm totally fascinated by the shape of the track nose on this car -- as well as the history around it. I can't wait to see the one fab'd by Dennis mounted. Having him make this part adds a lot to the clone's pedigree. It looks taller, mostly under the grill, but that's probably just a side effect from the camera perspective.

I'd like to try making this, but without the rest of the car it would be pretty tough to get the shape, scale and proportions right. It has a "feel" reminiscent of a '32 grill and shell, which I didn't get at first. I think that's a "plus" in terms of it's visual appeal -- besides just being a cool design on it's own, the shape feels familiar because of that.
    36e4aef160f28f9b1544870693ca2b2c.jpg

1947knuck, HEMI32, The 39 guy and 5 others like this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Pat will be glad to see this post, as he has been wondering just when I was going to get the rear axle set up. I took it to my old buddy and race partner Ernie Martin, to have the pinion bearings installed, and heat up the case to drop in the loaded pinion. He had a friend build the oven, that is very handy for working on quickchange center sections. He also made a deep socket to lock down the nuts on the pinion bearings. Now I can go forward with machining the set up spool for proper backlash. The real spool will be machined to those specs, pressed and welded to the live rear axle. IMG_1794.JPG IMG_1795.JPG IMG_1798.JPG IMG_1799.JPG IMG_1801.JPG IMG_1802.JPG IMG_1804.JPG IMG_1805.JPG IMG_1792.JPG

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  28. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Kinda wondered what was going on over yonder on your side of the hill. Pretty slick setup between you and 'Ol Dirty Ern.

loudbang likes this.
  29. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Hooray! Way to go, Marty. It certainly helps to have the right stuff, and good friends who will share. And you have the right stuff! That Pat Warren center section looks better than I remembered.

Big Thanks,
    Pat

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  30. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

A few posts back I mentioned that both Marty and I have been diverted by other projects, a couple of which you've seen here. But it appears that my son, Bill, doesn't think I have enough to keep me actively engaged in my retired old age. So as of this week I have just embarked on another new project, which will be a recurring column on Bill's website. I'm calling it a column because I really don't like the word "blog." And it will sort of be a combination of my old SRM, HRM, and R&C editorials, the sorely missed "Roddin' at Random" section of Hot Rod, snippets of the sorts of things you saw in my Von Dutch, Ed Roth, Lost Hort Rods, and Gallery books, as well as stuff you've never seen from my huge photo archive, to places I might visit this week. It's called Pat Ganahl's Rod and Custom, and you can find it on southcityrodandcustom.com.
    In between I'm working on a Spalding ignition for the roadster (and the chassis for the '33), while I hope Marty is still working on the pat Warren quickchange. More new here as soon as we have something to show.
    Cheers, Pat

Atwater Mike, HEMI32, Sancho and 10 others like this.