Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

In a former post I mentioned building a Land Speed Lakester body, I am finally rolling on the project. With it's rounded sides and cowl area it's looking a little like a submarine, and hopefully it will have 60's era look to it. The enclosed cockpit and hinged cowl will be a challenge. The Spalding is patiently waiting for the nose and grille. IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1385.JPG IMG_1387.JPG IMG_1388.JPG

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    1947knuck, Spoggie, kiwijeff and 10 others like this.
  2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Always something interesting going on in your shop Marty.

Are you coming out to the swamp meet this weekend?

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Rob, I will be there on Friday.

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  4. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Good to hear, we are stationed in the middle of hall D,

loudbang likes this.
  5. Hi Pat! Your adaptor dumaflatchie thingamabob is done!

FADC4D64-20B3-4EF3-84C2-680FE801E3A9.jpeg

6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I said that!!!

What was I thinking!! ;):(

loudbang likes this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A little update on the Lakester. With most of the sheet metal (forward of the engine) in place, the hinged canopy is my current challenge, then comes the nose. We are sending it out for wiring and plumbing in about a week. While it's gone, I can finish the side nerfs and exhaust on the Spalding, while making a plan of attack on the rear section sheet metal for the Lakester. IMG_1451.JPG IMG_1455.JPG IMG_1458.JPG IMG_1456.JPG

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  8. saltracer219

saltracer219

Looks great Marty.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Gofannon

Gofannon

Marty or Pat, what clutch are you using inside that Cyclone adaptor? I just found out my 10 3/4" Chevy truck clutch wont fit mine.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

@Gofannon I believe you'll only be able to fit a 9" clutch onto the Cyclone adapter

loudbang likes this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Pat bought and shipped me an 11" clutch, and I found out it wouldn't fit prior to installing the engine. He is going to get the proper clutch built when he has the car at his place. DSC01158.JPG DSC01157.JPG

12. Gofannon

Gofannon

I hope a 10.5" or 10" will fit. If the Cyclone adaptor will only take a 9" clutch, maybe I'll have to go to a 7.25" Tilton twin plate or similar.

loudbang likes this.
  13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

...or even a later model six, if the flywheel has the correct bolt circle(s). I know the Ford 200 / 250 has a 7.7 disc for some apps. That may be enough unless you plan to match gut-wrenching torque to sticky tires. And less costly than Tilton etc.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

The Packard input shaft uses a 10 spline Chev disc, which is probably not the same spline as the Ford disc you describe.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Gofannon

Gofannon

Thanks for the replies. I did a quick search, there are some good performance clutch suppliers in Aussie. Holden 202 one tonner ute clutch looks promising. 9" with good clamping pressure, 10 spline GM disc. Might even bolt to a Chevy flywheel??

loudbang likes this.
  16. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Hallelujah, we have a grille! nose7.JPG
    nose9.JPG

I just got back from Dennis Webb's, and I must say I am totally pleased with what he just showed me. He said this was way more work than he bargained for, and he'll never make another aluminum one like this again. But I certainly thank him for the painstaking effort he put into it, and I think it's a beauty. I'll do a little bit of hand-filing detail on it later, but after taking a break from it for a few days, Dennis' next (and last) step will be to fit it to the nose he has already shaped. Then I'll be making another trip up to Portland to deliver it...so be prepared, Marty!
    PG

HEMI32, rooman, bymanr and 19 others like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Does it get affixed with hidden fasteners or exposed?

loudbang likes this.
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

From what I see in this pic. it should have oval head, countersunk screws. Spalding flip-up cowl.jpg

20. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

I've gathered as many photos of Ingels noses and grilles as I can find. In photos above you see a full-size blow-up I had made of one, so that Dennis could match his grille to it. Although the 6 or 8 noses were made from the same buck, they all differed a bit in size and angle on each given car. In the photo below, you see the longer, more leaned-back nose of Dick Kraft's blue T in the foreground, and the blurry, but obviously straighter and "thinner" Spalding nose in the background. Kraft001.jpg
    The cast aluminum grilles were all identical, of course. But they differed greatly in the number and location of the small, Phillips-head attaching screws, ranging from 4 to 8. The Spalding nose has 6. Below is a photo Marty took inside the current Barney Navarro nose, showing how this (damaged and repaired) grille fits,and the screws' washers and nuts. IMG_3918_1.JPG
    More to come.
    Pat

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks for the insight.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I took some time and finish welded the exhaust system. I need to talk to Pat, as I would like to take the car to the Portland Transmission Show this Saturday, I even borrowed my old friend, Lonnie Gilbertson's hauler. Last years show rained out, it will be 82 and sunny, we will be in our usual spot. IMG_1511.JPG IMG_1512.JPG IMG_1514.JPG IMG_1516.JPG

23. That work needs to be shown off Marty!!

brad2v, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Pat OKed me to take it.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang I've got too much going on this week to sneak away for most of
    Saturday.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It all over by 11:30 AM, you would have to get up pretty early to get down here at 6:00, to see it all. It is my favorite gathering, good friends and plenty of great cars !

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have been brushing up on some aluminum forming, this will come in handy when making the hood blister on the Spalding. The Lakester need a couple of blisters to clear the spark plug wires, so this is what I came up with. My first attempt at making and using a hammer form. Fun, but time consuming ! IMG_1579.JPG IMG_1583.JPG IMG_1584.JPG IMG_1585.JPG IMG_1591.JPG IMG_1595.JPG IMG_1599.JPG IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1602.JPG IMG_1605.JPG IMG_1617.JPG IMG_1618.JPG IMG_1623.JPG

1947knuck, brad2v, LAROKE and 16 others like this.
  28. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Wow Marty!
    Nice job, especially cuz you did it left handed :)

RODIST, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bruce, I am not left handed (not that there is anything wrong with that), but I can't operate the camera, and show the process. Somehow, I figured you would pick up on that !

1947knuck, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.