Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John Deere Model E 1 1/2 HP in the tank?

2. Kinky6

Kinky6

Just gotta say, this is a great project; congrats to everyone involved! I had an idea, to commemorate this build, would it be possible to have a batch of T-shirts printed up using the Rex Burnett cut-away drawing from the article in post #85 (with due credit, royalties, etc., of course). Anyhow, just a thought, carry on! K6

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

are the wheels on the tank Bogarts??

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Lonnie bought some blank hoops ( I don't know the manufacturer) and machined them to fit the midget hubs.

1947knuck likes this.
  5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I see. I was kinda half kidding, but the centers really do look pretty similar to some of the bogart centers.

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The only Bogart I ever heard of, was Humphrey.

1947knuck and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Cheers Marty....Probably about time to come and see you. Missed my chance to tag along with Briski last week when he came out. Just finished pancaking the roof on Doug Nicoli`s `41 International. A bit of work, but it came out neat......Kiwi `Poll` over and out....:D

8. Pat, Marty, are there any parts you guys are still missing? You mentioned widening a 2" axle - I have 2 spares from a Hal V8 midget that you are welcome to if they will work for you.

Steve

9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Do notice that there are 2 famous folks in the background of these 2 pix. In the upper pic in the yellow A-bone is Jim Travis, and in the 2nd, the lady talking to Pat is Suzanne Williams. Both gear heads to the hilt. This and the Ike Rail along with Pat of course make these pix!

Stovebolt,
    Hey I think I've seen a box that holds a Cyclone 6 to V8 trans adapter in the trunk of my 32 ;).

Marty & Pat, Great build-Can't wait to see this one.

Marty,
    It would be nice to see a re-creation of the Bert Letner 25 T. with its Cyclone 3x2 intake as well as it Cyclone Quickie.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Refreshing to see some great fabrication and detail of such a influential car. Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers,
    Drewfus

11. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I believe the Spalding car ran 3 carbies initially, which I know Pat has, and for ease of driving, theis setup would make for an easier "initial" setup

Pg, we both know someone who has some injectors for a Wayne. Like your 12 port, they were something i could not afford when they came on the market.

Regarding the NZ 12 port, anyone know the owner's contact details. This head is not documented in the 12 port register on the Inliners International website.

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That is a great idea for a shirt, don't know what the hurdles would be to pull it off. It would be nice to have the project on display at next years LARS, along with a "meet and greet". I could haul it down in the cargo box of my 53 Ford COE, that would be fun.

1947knuck, falcongeorge and louisb like this.
  13. verde742

verde742

can we see some pics of the COE, like full side shot?

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here you go Bob, the last couple of shots are recent, we are hustling to get it finished by fall. IMG_1218.JPG IMG_1219.JPG IMG_1207.JPG IMG_5708.JPG IMG_5706.JPG

15. verde742

verde742

Yes I have seen those,, I want you to make that front wheel opening smaller, and center the tire !!!
    Before you paint it
    Ready go !!!!!

Can I visit sometime with Tim Moulton?

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now back to that Roadster, with the front axle mocked in place. With that color "side shot", I can now, notch the front cowl corners and set the body on, and juggle the engine/body/front axle relationship. More later. IMG_5775.JPG IMG_5776.JPG IMG_5778.JPG IMG_5779.JPG IMG_5780.JPG IMG_5782.JPG

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Too late, it's already painted, and yes you can come.

1947knuck and verde742 like this.
  18. Gofannon

Gofannon

I sent you a PM.

19. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Hi Steve, What is the overall length of your axles ? The two that we have are 51.75". Thanks for your generosity!

1947knuck likes this.
  21. One is 44" (4" off) and one is 43" (3 1/2" off). Both are tapered and keyed 2" and drilled for a Halibrand V8 ring gear - not sure if the Pat Warren will work with these but they're yours if you need 'em. Also have a centerbored ring and matching pinion that came with these axles - it's a 3.78.

Steve

22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,
    Let me know if I can help.

Bruce

23. WOW!!
    Pat Ganahl + Marty Strode + Spalding track roadster!
    It doesn't get any better than this!
    I'm taking notes on this one.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Steve, I will post pics of all of the rear axle parts that we have, and we can make decisions as we move along. Your support is very appreciated !

1947knuck likes this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Bruce, it's great to have someone with your knowledge along for the ride, you know more than most about the stumbling blocks you can encounter, working with used race car parts. I will be in touch.

1947knuck and volvobrynk like this.
  26. No worries - Pat has been one of the biggest influences in my hotrodding life and I'm happy to contribute what I can. Anything else that is needed or missing?

Steve

27. Just a side note. That is the legendary Jim Travis in the yellow Model A roadster he's owned forever.

[​IMG]

1947knuck and Stogy like this.
  28. verde742

verde742

I love this site... keep it movin'

29. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

My new favorite too.

Wondering what the first clone anybody remembers was. I didn't even think about doing it when building my roadster. The first I remember was the Von Franko Kookie Kar Klone. Their must have been others before that.

Gary