Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When revisiting this thread , the moniker "Mr. Bracket" comes to mind.Your fab skills always remind me of the late,great, Doanne Spencer.Such art broken down for our feeble minds to grasp...

Babyearl, brad2v and loudbang like this.
  2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Wow Marty, I'm not sure what rock i was hiding under but i had totally missed this thread....wow again!

The good part was i got to binge read it in the last couple of days. Your work it impressive as usual, and the documentation has been very entertaining for sure.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Rod, You are entirely too kind, now PM me an address to send the check ! Seriously, the art of bracket making has gotten so much easier for all of us, with the advent of plasma and laser cutting services. It's pretty easy to lay something out on poster board, with a compass and ruler, and let the machine do the work. I am also fortunate to have the luxury of pouring over the outstanding work of men like Doane, Art Chrisman, Jackie Howerton and other giants of our hobby/craft. Over the last 40 years I have had cars in the shop, built by Don Long, Fuller,Logghe, SPE, Scotty Fenn, Chuck Finders and many more, perhaps some of their skill has rubbed off on me.

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Well my friend, maybe you can pay me a visit around swap meet time, I would enjoy your company. Just bring some of the delicious food you always tease us with !

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  5. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Yes lets do that, I'll be over on Wednesday threw Sunday or Monday.

6. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Thank you for the mention of Howerton.

7. rooman

rooman

I have fond memories of when Jackie showed up at the 50th GNRS with the rolling chassis of his roadster (on his way to Moal's for the body). The west coast guys were shell shocked, stunned, amazed etc.

Roo

kidcampbell71, loudbang and HEMI32 like this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I displayed my #7 Track Roadster in that show, I can still see Boyd looking it over !

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  9. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Roo & Marty,
    I was at that show too, I was standing with Greg Sharp, Looking at Jackie's workmanship and I told Greg I was going to go home & throw away my tools & find something else to do !

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That's funny Pete, I say the same thing when I look at the stuff you and Roo build ! On Jackie, he is not only a very gifted fabricator, he could "Wheel" a race car pretty well, ala Don Edmunds !

11. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Awesome video Marty. I love seeing those big cars on the big dirt tracks. Duquoin was and still is my absolute favorite when I was doing that USAC thing.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  12. rooman

rooman

I was lucky to be able to stop at Jackie's shop on the way home from work and watched the roadster build from a bare jig to a roller and then to near completion. The original plan was to build three cars, one for Jackie, one for Steve and a third one to sell to cover the cost of the other two. We know how that worked out.
    One afternoon Jackie was working on the door latch mechanism when I stopped in and he explained how he had made it adjustable to compensate for wear and he did not really have an answer when I asked him if he thought that he would ever open and close the door enough to induce any wear. His boys Jeff and Ricky are also very talented with Ricky winning the 2016 AMA Grand National Championship with rider Bryan Smith.

Roo

kidcampbell71, HEMI32 and loudbang like this.
  13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Great video Marty. Thanks.
    One thing that I noticed watching that grainy movie and made a "note-to-self": Don't paint a roll bar / cage white. It will make my car look top-heavy.

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

To complete the rear bumper installation, I boxed the rear section of the frame rails, added gussets along with the tabs at the rear of the turtle deck. Now I can remove the deck and weld everything up. IMG_7459.JPG IMG_7461.JPG IMG_7462.JPG IMG_7467.JPG IMG_7470.JPG IMG_7469.JPG IMG_7468.JPG

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It was time to bend and fit the steering arm, along with making a quickie set-up drag link. The arm is from Speedway, and is extra heavy duty, the same as I use on all of the Track Roadsters that I build. It requires a big tip for the heating process, I have a large rosebud for times like this. After it's hot, the setup in the press produces nice even bends. The arm requires some belt sanding, and sand blasting, to remove the zinc plating. I will be starting on the fuel tank, later today. IMG_7481.JPG IMG_7483.JPG IMG_7485.JPG IMG_7489.JPG IMG_7490.JPG IMG_7493.JPG IMG_7494.JPG IMG_7495.JPG

16. Steering arm looks nice Marty - amazing how a little extra effort can turn a mass-produced part into a much cleaner, handcrafted looking piece.

Steve

grumpy32 and loudbang like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Marty.Like the bending set up that you have there.Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh,by the by,I think you swiped my Channel Locks:rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang likes this.
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Leo, I have a few different bottom and top dies that I built out of scrap, easy way to bend parts.

1947knuck, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Using .090 - 5052 aluminum, I sheared 2 panels and took a trip to see my Brother. He has a large press brake and it's easier to form up tanks, than with my leaf/finger brake. We formed (2) interlocking "C" shapes, with 3/4" flanges on the long dimensions. When welded, it will make stronger weld joints. Now that I have it mocked-up in place, I can locate the filler neck, and tip-over valve along with the sender and exit bung. Note, for now it's not even tack welded together. IMG_7498.JPG IMG_7500.JPG IMG_7501.JPG IMG_7504.JPG IMG_7507.JPG IMG_7509.JPG

21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Yep,the BIY option is a great way to get what you need in a hurry.Cheap too when you can make it out of left overs from the scrap bin.Especially,if it is not made commercially.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang likes this.
  22. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Jeez you make that look easy, Marty. Perfect.
    Pat

KKrod, Dean Lowe and loudbang like this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Pat and I have been thinking about a radiator for the project. I mocked up the approximate hood angle and height, to determine the size we will need. A buddy brought by this cool little radiator, it's 16" wide, with a 2" core and 25" from the top of the fill cap, to the bottom of the lower tank. I think it would work, if the core was shortened about 2 inches. When we get the nose and grille insert from Dennis Webb, I can mount get it mounted and then finalize the radiator. IMG_7518.JPG IMG_7525.JPG IMG_7520.JPG IMG_7521.JPG

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I received the fuel filler neck and roll-over valve, now I can proceed on the tank. The COE Transporter garnered my attention last weekend. I had insulated the back of the cab, and decided on what material to cover it with, and used ABS plastic, grained on one side. Dean, I needed a stock Model A frame, to assemble the 29 RPU body on. My old friend Mitch Kim (Pinstriper Extraordinaire) traded me this roller, so we can get the body assembled. IMG_7530.JPG IMG_7522.JPG IMG_7477.JPG

25. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Marty

Mitch did you good

26. That'll work Marty. :) My first RPU looked like that once. Then the frame went to Kurtis Kraft.

brad2v, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I worked on the fuel tank today. After laying out the holes for the fill neck, sender, roll-over valve and outlet bung, the Di-Acro punch came in handy. The only fitting that will require welding, is the fuel outlet. I left it un-welded for the final fit, now I can install a baffle and weld it up ! IMG_7545.JPG IMG_7546.JPG IMG_7552.JPG IMG_7555.JPG IMG_7556.JPG IMG_7559.JPG

1947knuck, HEMI32, 36 ROKIT and 10 others like this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have been busy with lots of different projects, but the tank is coming along. IMG_7602.JPG IMG_7603.JPG IMG_7604.JPG

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nice to see you posting again, the "Marty low level light" has been glowing brightly! Gary

tractorguy and Babyearl like this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

After pulling the body, I spent some time on the belly pan today. With the mounting holes laid out and center punched, I drilled the holes with a #21 drill (tap size for 10/32 screws), and used clecos to hold it firmly in place. The cutouts around the radius rod and torsion bar mountings needed to be enlarged, so I got it marked and pulled the belly pan for the final trim and radius of the corners. Using a reversible air drill with a 10/32 tap, it made quick work of the holes. With it back in place, filling in the front corners will be the next task, then on to the pedals, and more welding at the rear section of the car. Now I will return the voluminous wiring on the COE ! IMG_7614.JPG IMG_7615.JPG IMG_7616.JPG IMG_7620.JPG IMG_7622.JPG IMG_7623.JPG

1947knuck, brEad, Dean Lowe and 12 others like this.