Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It was time to mount the rear shocks. Because there will be cutouts in the turtle deck, where the shocks extend outside the body line, I made a cardboard template to trim out around the shocks. Then I will transfer the cutouts to the deck, without making them oversize. To make a mock up on the shock mounts, I used some scrap 18 ga sheet metal. That way I can bolt on the shocks and clamp the setup brackets to the roll bar mounting, to finalize the design. Using some 3/16 X 5" flat bar, I bent the mounting plates with a radius die in a press. More to follow . IMG_7344.JPG IMG_7345.JPG IMG_7346.JPG IMG_7351.JPG IMG_7352.JPG IMG_7354.JPG

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now to layout and shape the brackets. With the shocks bolted to the oversize plates, I draw the desired shape, and with a trip through the band saw, all is left is belt sanding , and some touch up with a mop disc. I will use a pitman arm puller to remove the old remnants of the arms, and bead blast the mill scale off of the brackets, and cleanup the shocks too. IMG_7361.JPG IMG_7355.JPG IMG_7356.JPG IMG_7357.JPG IMG_7358.JPG IMG_7359.JPG IMG_7360.JPG IMG_7362.JPG

3. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

nice work.

4. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

This is more than nice work. Thanks Marty. I'm a lucky guy.
    But let me take this opportunity to try networking once again. Since these A2 RotoFlo shocks are prominently shown here (which I acquired thanks to Squeak Bell and his NZ connections), does anyone out there have another pair--in at least this nice condition--available to replace the smaller ones I now have on the front? I've seen very nice sets on at least 3 or 4 street rods lately. I'll pay reasonable price, but I'd prefer original, unpittted, complete, working ones. Greasy originals are preferable to "rebuilt" or disassembled. I understand they're more common down OZ/NZ way.
    2) I'm also searching for any sort of GMC six distributor incorporating a tach drive (from a truck?). Or a rare Stewart-Warner tach-drive adapter to fit the GMC block and accept a dog-drive distributor. Or an S-W two-to-one front-mount (crank-driven) mechanical tach drive.
    3) And a decent S-W 2-5/8" black-face, flat glass fuel gauge to match the ones seen a couple pages back. I need two of these.
    I probably need a lot more than that. But at least these are things I might be able to buy with money. Anyone?
    Thanks,
    Pat Ganahl

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. Rckt98

Rckt98

Pat, any idea what those shocks might have been on originally? If I know what to look for I can make enquiries down here.
    Russell

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Gofannon

Gofannon

I don't know if they were OE on anything, just an aftermarket shock. The last pair I saw were fitted to an unrestored '46 Chevy truck. I offered to buy them if the owner wanted to get rid of them, but he ended up selling them on TradeMe. So keep your eye out as they could be on anything. Some vintage car guy will probably have a stash, and not know their worth.

7. Gofannon

Gofannon

8. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Yes, as the ad above states, Rotoflos were made in England, apparently in the early '50s, as an aftermarket replacement for liquid-filled or other lever shocks ("dampers"). As it says, they have a thick "plastic" substance inside, that works against a vane. No-one seems to know what this plastic is, or any workable replacement today. But the smaller A1s currently on the front of my car I found on a parts shelf N.O.S., and after some exercising in a bench vise holder, seem to work fine. The larger A2s, which Marty is mounting to the rear, are about the same size as early Ford Houdailles. Squeak found these on his annual trek to New Zealand, and he says he's seen them on early Holdens and Fords there and in Australia, even in junkyards. I paid very decent prices for the ones I have. I'd be happy to trade the smaller N.O.S. A1s for good used A2s. I've been shopping for these for a few years, but what I have found here have been broken, badly pitted, mismatched, or disassembled, and usually for very high prices. A good pair like the one in the ad (and that Marty is mounting on the rear) is what I'm looking for.
    Thanks, Pat

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

1947knuck likes this.
  11. Progress is looking good, Pat it was nice to meet you at your book signing back in October when we were over visiting.

From what I know of the Rotoflo's they were made over here for light trailer/caravan use and got used on early fords as the bolt holes meant they were a direct replacement. I have a set of 4 a2's but I don't really want to sell them but they aren't too rare here so I will take a look around there is a few swap meets coming up.

Harley

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I worked on the turtle deck repair and the rear shock mountings, along with making the cutouts to clear the shocks. IMG_7373.JPG IMG_7374.JPG IMG_7376.JPG IMG_7377.JPG IMG_7378.JPG IMG_7379.JPG IMG_7380.JPG IMG_7383.JPG

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

After making the layouts, I used a plywood backup for the 1-1/4" hole saw, and trimmed it up with a slitting wheel on a die grinder. The cutouts may need to be larger in the end, but they are pretty close. IMG_7384.JPG IMG_7385.JPG IMG_7386.JPG IMG_7387.JPG IMG_7388.JPG IMG_7390.JPG IMG_7391.JPG

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now for the rear shock arms. I have been nervous about removing the the remnants of the original arms, for fear of damage to these rare units. I started out by machining a spud, to use in conjunction with my friend Ern's pitman arm puller. After getting the old pieces removed, and everything bead blasted, I band sawed the square portion off. The next thing was to machine a stub shaft to hold the the boss of the arm, without hurting the splines while machining it round. Now I can make some arms from flat stock, to weld to the bosses, with a pinch-clamp like the original car. IMG_7392.JPG IMG_7393.JPG IMG_7396.JPG IMG_7397.JPG IMG_7398.JPG IMG_7399.JPG IMG_7401.JPG IMG_7402.JPG

15. alchemy

alchemy

I bought an arm from Schroeder that had the same spline as my Rotoflo shocks. I haven't installed them in a car yet, but it seemed to fit when I tested it on the bench.

It was a plain steel arm with the pinch bolt on the splined end. Plenty of material to shape the outboard end however you want.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

"Neither Rain, Nor Snow", will keep me from my appointed duties, and we have had plenty of both lately ! Jeff, thanks for the tip on the Schroeder arms, but I am well on the way of making a pair. With a simple layout, and making a mock-up out of scrap aluminum, this is what I came up with. the real ones will be 3/16" steel, with 1/4" pinch bolts. IMG_7408.JPG IMG_7409.JPG IMG_7410.JPG IMG_7411.JPG IMG_7412.JPG IMG_7407.JPG

17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

18. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dale, This is the longest cold spell we have had in quite a while ! Things are looking up, back to work tomorrow. IMG_7423.JPG

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I got the shock arms finished with the exception of profiling the outboard end, and the hole for the link rod. Now I can build the rear bumper ! IMG_7429.JPG IMG_7431.JPG IMG_7433.JPG IMG_7435.JPG IMG_7439.JPG IMG_7440.JPG IMG_7441.JPG IMG_7442.JPG

1947knuck, grumpy32, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  21. Love the horizontal mill Marty. I had one of those in our shop with an air/hydraulic feed on the table. Did a ton of second operation work on that machine in 40 years!

1947knuck, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  22. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is there enough clearance for the pinch bolt head against the side of the body there? Looks pretty close if you get a lot of travel on the shock arm...

loudbang likes this.
  23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

DAMN! This thread is like "Tech week" times 1,000!! Love it!

24. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Just limit the travel Marty LOL

Don

25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The RH side of the turtle deck, is going to require some shrinking, due to some trauma from a prior body man. This shot of the LH side (unmolested) is what the RH side will look like, when "The Tall Cool One" gets done with it ! IMG_7443.JPG

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dean, I don't use the Nichols mill all that much, but it is certainly handy to have around for cutting key-ways.

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now for the rear bumper. 1 1/4"X .120 wall tube for the bumper, 1 1/2"X .120 wall for the receptacles. With everything fit and tacked in place, there will be gussets that cap the receptacles and extend into the channels of the frame rails. The bumper tubes will make a solid platform to mount the aluminum fuel tank, coming soon ! IMG_7445.JPG IMG_7446.JPG IMG_7447.JPG IMG_7448.JPG IMG_7450.JPG IMG_7452.JPG IMG_7453.JPG IMG_7455.JPG IMG_7456.JPG

28. Nice clean design, just like the rest of the car.

29. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,
    Really like your tube notcher. Is that a commercial item or did you make it?

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bruce, It's a Pro-Tools "Industrial" unit, with the "offset" feature. About $230 bucks.