Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The picture of it, in it's second life as a drag car, tells me it didn't get into many crashes. Also, it didn't have a long career on the dirt. But from my experience, it pays to be out front, away from the entanglements ! Spaulding D-2.jpg

1947knuck, CW's40TPU, brad2v and 7 others like this.
  2. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

If he had made a cover over the slot, it would have had to be open on the front edge to allow movement of the drag link. I would think it would quickly get filled with mud thrown off the left front tire.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have a couple of questions, does anyone on here, know of a source for new tie-rod clamps to fit 1" round tube ? Also, I am in need of a dimension for a 37-38 Chevy radiator, total width across the side channels. The reason is, we need to build a radiator, and the top and bottom tanks should be era correct.. Spalding head-on( best).jpg

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Terry, the RH side of the car gets the majority of the mud, as they say "You Have ToTurn Right, to Turn Left" !

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  5. The car never had a serious wreck because Roy Prosser knew how to take care of equipment, and was usually out front. I drove with Roy at WRA events in the late 80's. Hell of a nice guy, and a dam good chauffeur in his late 70's.

brad2v, loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That just adds to my fascination with this project. I can better see why Pat chose to recreate it.

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Two reasons why Pat wanted to clone it. #1 It's just about the finest example of a track roadster you'll ever see and #2 Pat's an inline freak. ;)

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

And it was Orange, like his Dragster !

9. The HRM cover perfectly illustrates what Marty said above. BTW I am constantly marvelling at your workmanship Marty, inspiring & motivating.

Feb-50-cover.jpg

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Jimmy, a guy once told me, "It's Only Metal Fab".

11. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Yaa Marty just like being a dirt track pilot ' All you have to do is turn left '

Boy I sure do miss the Sprinters & Dirt track bikes at Ascot Park !!!

DND

12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Marty I wish I could remember where I found clamps still available. I was on the hunt for old chrome ones and ran across plain ones somewhere. If it comes to me you'll be the first to know. I only bothered with this post to ease your mind that they're out there.
    It might have been something as simple as moog or other parts store fodder.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Marty
    This one inch clamp may work (or not), don't quite know your parameters?
    It's the column clamp from my 67 Nova, converting 67 Camaro tilt to Nova.

20161218_192833.jpg 20161218_192755.jpg 20161218_192559.jpg

They may be in reproduction from places like Classic Industries, etc.
    I didn't find this one yet, but they show numerous tie rod sleeve/clamp assys. but have applications only, no dimensions.

http://www.classicindustries.com/shop/nova/parts/steering/tie-rod-sleeves/

14. Gofannon

Gofannon

I'd try tractor or machinery parts vendors for tie rod clamps. I have a late 30's Chevy truck radiator but I dismantled it, I'll try and get measurements. Car and truck radiators are the same but trucks have a thicker core.

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Mike and Doug.

1947knuck likes this.
  16. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Ha! Even my 6 year old son knows that you have to turn right to go fast left. Picked it up from a certain Disney movie involving "Cars". Showed him how it works first hand in our recent snowpocolypse that shut the town down

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What a cluster f@c# eh!

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  18. Gofannon

Gofannon

Just measured my radiator. It's a '37 truck, part number on the header tank is 3109033. Core is 16 3/4" wide and 2" thick. With the side channels on it's 17" wide, not including mounting brackets.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Gofannon

Gofannon

loudbang likes this.
  20. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

It was quite the commute that night, 4 hours to go 20 miles from NE Portland to Rock Creek. I left work late on purpose and went around town. Guessing that I saved a couple hours on the drive. Yes Doug, it was an absolute cluster

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Mike, The frame measures 18-3/4" between the frame rails.

1947knuck likes this.
  22. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

To amplify a bit on Dean Lowe's reasons why I am building the car, #1 is absolutely correct. But #2 isn't that I'm an "Inline Freak" (Chrysler Hemis are better), but rather that I had acquired this very early, pretty complete Wayne 12-port Chevy engine some 30 years ago, and no one (including Inline Freaks) would buy it for any price, so I decided to build the Spalding car around it, since it was identical to the 3-carb version as seen on the HRM cover.
    It wasn't until I interviewed Bill Spalding shortly before his death that I found out the car was the same bright orange as my Iacono dragster (GMC Omaha Orange), so that was the cherry on top of the sundae.
    I'm sure glad to hear Roy Prosser was slingin' dirt in his '70s with the WRA, because that's what I'm planning to do.
    Pat Ganahl

Moriarity, HEMI32, TerrytheK and 9 others like this.
  23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Me too
    THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER (AKA Inline Freak)

24. Roy drove Tom Welch's Edmunds Offy with WRA. Cal Niday drove Bob Hanson's Kurtis Offy. They were both in their mid 70's. When those two old farts got out in front, nobody was going to pass them! One night at Santa Maria, after a heated 12 lap main event, Roy told Cal, "why don't you back of a bit, we're all getting the same money here," meaning $0. Cal winked, and said "I will if you will". Once a racer, always a racer!

CW's40TPU, brad2v, louisb and 6 others like this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We had a similar situation running our Track Roadsters. In 2002, I came up with the idea of having a 4 lap "Helmet Dash", pitting 4 drivers who raced each other in the late 40's, the premier driver was Indy driver, Len Sutton. My buddies were generous to loan their cars. We decided to have them draw straws, to predetermine the winner, thinking it would lessen the chance of damage. Howard Osborne, picked the winning straw, and it worked out well until the green flag dropped, and Len, at the wheel of Lonnie Gilbertson's #5, ran away with it ! He said If you are going to pass me, you will earn it ! P7130078.JPG P7130004.JPG P7130102.JPG

26. One of the best things about running with WRA was seeing the grins on the old timers faces. Priceless!

27. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Marty, did you ever get your radiator tank dimensions? I can measure the radiator in my '37 if you still need this.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

David, I did get those dimensions and pictures from a couple of members, along with an offer from Casual 6, for some tanks. The filler neck on those years is offset because if the hood opening, and we need the neck in the center. I am still looking at options, thank you all. Happy New Year !!!!!!!!

29. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Gary,
    Thanks very much for your offer. I checked with Marty and he agrees, just blow the weeds off that thing and take it to the swap meet and see if you can get $200+ for it. Have you priced copper/brass radiators for vintage cars lately? Scary. Plus, trying to ship that would be difficult. We'll find a couple of usable tanks and get them attached to a good new core. But again--thanks very much to you and others who offered.
    Pat G.

loudbang likes this.
  30. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Your welcome Pat, I'll probably just take it to Petaluma in May. I usually try to sell at that swap every year and the club wives make great pie's. Just trying to pay it forward and I would like to see that T of your get on the road. Can't tell you how many of my friends helped me put together my roadster.
    Gary