Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can see it says 235-261 on it but the chambers and port arraignment looks like a Horning or Fisher GMC. not a pro on Chevrolet 12 ports but I've never that arrangement for Chevrolet. Good Luck.

loudbang and Stovebolt like this.
  2. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Ah, the helvetia tavern. I have not been there in years. I went there often when I owned a place in Manning, a small spot on the map west of there.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Whooda thunk some backwoods Oregon tavern would get so much world wide exposure.
    Well, I got into Bako this afternoon and already have had two great meals, yes, that has always been a big part of the CHRR experience. Breakfast at Donna K's and head out to the track, can't wait. Smok'n tires (and chicks), nitro, cold beer, and track burgers.
    Gawd I love this country.

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

You're making me drool DDD. Gotta get back there someday.

5. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

To Flashback58 (Brant):
    I just got back from Bakersfield last night (I'm sure you're still on your way home). I appreciated meeting you and seeing your cool little fuel flathead TE-440. However, I apologize I didn't make the HAMB connection until I re-read it this morning. I hope you enjoyed the trip down and the weekend even if you couldn't cackle. I must say there were a lot of disappointed (or worse) dragster owners on Thursday. Can't say the NHRA handled this one all that well. Glad I was just cleaning my car and spectating.
    Actually the highlights for me were the Car Craft reunion staged in the little room across from the NHRA's ballroom at the Double Tree on Friday night, put on by Terry Cook and Rick Voegelin. That was historic(!).
    And having Marty Strode and a couple of his local Oregon pals drop in to the little barbeque joint near the track where I was having dinner early Friday for more great stories. Marty was definitely enjoying sunny SoCal for the weekend, but more so watching watching the gorgeous Bizio '33 Willys pickup (that he built) come all the way out from New York and run its quickest times ever. The candy blue lacquer and gold leaf are still stunning (30+years old). And I must say all the Geezer Gassers that came out from the East put on the best show of the weekend, for my money.
    Thanks to all who came by, said hi, and checked out the old dragster--including you, Brant!
    Cheers,
    Pat Ganahl

kiwijeff, brad2v, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

20161024_182430.jpg
    Two hours into northbound Amtrak return trip to Portland.
    Wow Pat, the resto on that little digger is beyond outstanding. Saw you walking around but you werent around the car when we finally found it, even missed Marty.
    Mitch Kim, a bud from Portland commented about the detail on it and if he reccommends going back out and find it; a guy can't miss, what a beauty.

1947knuck and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

What a great event ! Pat and I, did have some time to visit, and watch some racing, and after getting a good look at his Dragster, I hope my work on the Spalding will meet his strict standards. Also, it was fun to see old friends and and finally get to meet some HAMB members like Rooman, in person. The third shot is me and Tom Prufer, a good friend and Hot Rod/Drag Racer Legend, and one of my Heroes as well. My old buddy Pete Eastwood had the AA/FD's shined to perfection, and it was great to sit and talk about old times with him and Tom, and discuss their current projects. I stopped by Dave Wallace's booth, and he generously invited me to sit and listen to stories and visit with the magazine luminaries that Pat mentioned above. Terry Cook is always a hoot, and shared some "Sneaky Pete" Robinson stories, CJ Baker entertained us with some of his many Smokey Yunick interviews, and it was very enjoyable ! IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0130.JPG IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0149.JPG

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

As far as the Bizio Truck, what a treat to see it again and meet the owners Jeff and Jerry after years of phone and internet contact. With their care, tuning, and Jeff Cryan's driving, it is still "Drop Dead" gorgeous, and faster than ever ! Tom Willford would be proud ! IMG_0115.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0136.JPG IMG_0154.JPG

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now, back to our project. Before I went to Bakersfield, I made a pattern for the roll bar loop, and had it rolled up,out of 1-3/4" .125 DOM tube. My partner in crime Ernie Martin, is machining the set-up spool for the quickchange. When he is satisfied with the backlash and gear pattern, we will have the final spool machined and welded to the 4130 axle tube, along with the tapered stubs for the hub mountings. IMG_7079.JPG IMG_7080.JPG IMG_0173.JPG IMG_0175.JPG

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like I should have taken an extra week of vacation and ventured further south and further inland. 
    This is one of those great to read threads that one enjoys catching up on every time they read more of it.

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It was pretty much inland, from Pismo, you missed a good one, and your great photos would have been greatly appreciated also.

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Larry, we had to settle for In & Out Burgers a couple of times. BTW, is that apple juice you were having ? I have a hard time telling it from beer, just looking at the picture. See you soon !

1947knuck, tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  13. electricalguy

electricalguy

14. electricalguy

electricalguy

Marty...I was hoping to meet you, we were with the kid's WILD THING dragster beside the SPEED SPORT roadster, but we met so many GREAT people anyway, I guess we didn't miss you(LOL). Brant(Flashback58)was having some trouble with the Nitro carbs on his Flathead Saturday, and was getting assistance from none other than Red Greth!!! (Will post pics later) I can tell you that what is happening on the track(for us anyway) is kind of secondary to the people in the pits. Pat(and Marty)the car looks astounding!

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's too bad we didn't run into each other down there, the event is so huge that it is tough to find people. It's also one for the memories, when you get assistance from a legend like Red Greth ! If you see my old friend Les Davenport, (The Couch) as he was referred to, when he lived in Portland, say hi for me !

1947knuck likes this.
  16. electricalguy

electricalguy

Surely will Mr. Strode! Les was conspicuous by his absence in A fuel this year(at least I didn't see or hear about him)probably would have dominated....

17. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

A certain someone challenged me with figuring out how to share a video he sent me with the fellow HAMB'ers. Hope the link works. If not, I can embed it within the post. No Marty, that wasn't apple juice. Catch up with you soon

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Just a lousy 3 hours from home, and this year I couldn't make it!
    Would have liked to say hi to Tom Prufer, Pat, and meet Marty...The Bizio Willys, all the way from N.Y.
    Miss the old friends, but we're staying as young as we can...

19. saltracer219

saltracer219

Marty, as our old friend the late Gray Baskerville would say "That is Soooo Bitchin!!!!" Enjoyed our conversation tonight, as always it was great to talk to you. G.....

20. loudbang

loudbang

Watching the rear wheels spinning will make you dizzy. Same video without stopping and one minute they are spinning backwards then they start going forward for no reason then back and forth. :confused:

1947knuck likes this.
  21. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

All part of the warm-up bud. Something you won't see on those Discovery channel "reality" show's. This forum is reality. Enjoy the crisp sound of that awesome piece of history, the dirt coming up off the ground at the crack of the throttle the beautiful 30 year old restoration of the old girl. No wonder Pat enlisted Marty for the project we all enjoy following on this thread.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  22. rooman

rooman

Marty,
    it was great to finally meet you in person. It was a great weekend for me (getting those valve covers was a highlight) even though I missed quite a bit of the action in the cackle pits due to crewing on my customer's 7.0 car. We got to the third round before losing to the eventual winner by .0048.

Roo

loudbang likes this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mike, You missed a good one. On our way home on Sunday, while driving past Atwater, I told my 3 companions, "there is a real character named Mike who lives here" ! One of these days our paths will cross, it will be great to meet you. Perhaps when I make the trip south to deliver Pat's car, we can make connection, and swap a few lies !

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Back on the project, I welded and ground the cowl/dash area, and installed the front body mounts. Next will be pulling the body off, to drill and weld the threaded bungs to complete the body mounts and steering box stanchions to the frame rails. While I was away, the pitman arm arrived from Schroeder, and cutting the slot for the drag link will happen soon, along with the roll bar and seat mounting. IMG_7086.JPG IMG_7087.JPG IMG_7089.JPG IMG_7093.JPG IMG_7094.JPG IMG_7091.JPG

25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My Brother dropped by to help me pull the body, to complete the body and steering mounts. When welding nuts into a closed frame rail, I cut the head off of a bolt (3/8 NF in this case), and spin on and lock 2 un-plated nuts. While spinning the drill and using a belt sander, I grind the nuts down to a tap fit in the hole in the frame, pull the bolt and weld in place. Seat mount to follow. IMG_7096.JPG IMG_7097.JPG IMG_7104.JPG IMG_7105.JPG IMG_7115.JPG IMG_7117.JPG

1947knuck, brad2v, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Seat mounting was a simple task. With some 10 ga strips mounted to the top of the frame rails, I bent and trimmed some 1" - .083 tube, to raise the bottom of the seat 1-1/2" off the frame rails, and tacked welded them in place. I will add some cross tubes for strength, and some plates for bolting the seat to the frame. With the body back on, I can mount the roll bar, and start on the belly pan, next week ! IMG_7124.JPG IMG_7125.JPG IMG_7131.JPG IMG_7133.JPG IMG_7135.JPG IMG_7136.JPG

1947knuck, brad2v, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's going to be a big kids gokart with him driving it in that position.
    Dang I wish I could turn out work that nice.

28. Rand Man

Rand Man

I got a chance to read through the entire thread today. Great craftsmanship here.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks boys ! Next week should yield some good progress.

1947knuck likes this.
  30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And a gasser on gas! Whoda thunk it!

volvobrynk likes this.