Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Pat Ganahl and I, have been collecting parts for some time, to build him a "close copy" of the famous Spalding Bros Track/Lakes/Bonneville Roadster. The HAMB has been instrumental in finding some of the rare pieces necessary to build this car. The Pat Warren V/8 quickchange center section was purchased from a member, and for the life of me, I cannot come up with his handle or name. Member Les Moran from Australia, donated the "smooth" side bells for the rear. Uncle Buck from Washington State, gave us a 2" live axle out of an old sprint car. We will mate it, to an identical one my old friend Bill Towers out of Delaware shipped us (for free I might add), to get the proper length. Pat has long wanted a six cylinder "Track Roadster" as a stable mate to his Ike Iacono Dragster. Our plan is to build the car as close to the original as possible, with one exception. Instead of using an in-out box, Pat has a Cyclone adapter, mating the Chev six to an early Ford trans. That allows the use of a flywheel, clutch and starter, making the car a lot more practical, for the events he plans on participating in with the it. I have this project started, photos to follow. Spaulding 1.jpg Spaulding 50.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    Outback, 54delray, EVL401 and 21 others like this.
  2. This will b good, im keen to follow along.

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  3. I'll be watching

Outback, EVL401 and volvobrynk like this.
  4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

5. That one's a classic...looking forward to this with enthusiasm.

Outback and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

It was Pete Rose - the 235 kid - who provided the Pat Warren q/c.

He is currently building a one-manned modified, 216 powered of course.

I for one long to see this project built.

Outback and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Yes. Yes please. Great stuff.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. oj

oj

Subscribed! Thanks for taking the time to share the build with us Marty, very good of you.

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I'll be watching. Keep us posted.
    Gary

11. saltracer219

saltracer219

I'm in Marty, G....

dln1949 likes this.
  12. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

For those out there who haven't seen on of these cyclone Stovebolt/Jimmy to Flathead adapters ......

Well here is a picture of one

[​IMG]

EVL401, 1947knuck, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  13. Subscribed. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. ...if Pat still has his old 47-8 Chevy 4 door, he needs to use it as his push car.

15. A Boner

A Boner

This is going to be good!....LOTS of pic's I hope.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Mark, I thought about emailing you for that info. And thanks to all who responded, this should be fun!
    After receiving a call locally about a steel body for sale, Pat made the purchase and I picked it up. Here is how I started with the layout, I had BC Chopit build a front axle, having him weld only one end, so I could slide the 360 degree brackets on with ease. I used some of my Wide-5 parts for set-up purposes, and to determine wheelbase and rough body location. California Roadster Association rules back then, required the wheelbase to be 99 to 115 inches. I settled on a preliminary 100" as that is the length of the 8 other early roadster chassis that I have built in the recent past. This one is quite different than the others, being a "center steer", 4 torsion bar, live axle rear, dedicated race car. I plan on this thread being as thorough as time permits, along with showing all of the elements of the build. The chassis is currently in the fixture, but we will start at the beginning, and I am sure Pat will chime in when he can find the time, he is currently working on another great book.
    IMG_4927.JPG IMG_4928.JPG IMG_4929.JPG

Outback, EVL401, Joe Travers and 13 others like this.
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Gary, You are in whether you like it or not, I always appreciate your advice my friend !!!

cruiserjohn76, 1947knuck and RODIST like this.
  19. louisb

louisb

I want to see how you plan to shoehorn him into that thing. Looking really cool so far.

--louis

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This is one time where "iconic" really fits the bill. Cool stuff, subscribed!

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  21. alchemy

alchemy

Does he have all the Rotoflos he needs?

22. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

I still recall you pulling a Polaroid picture out of your pocket of your first track roadster build at a certain painters birthday party to show me. Pre paint, mocked up and way too cool. Looking forward to following along with this one, should be fun.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. This will be interesting to follow.

24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This sounds like the right stuff, that makes a good thread!
    And a true master craftsman (Marty strode), a legend (ganalh) and the usual suspects are around to watch a build I like to follow, so I'm subscribed!
    And happy to see kiwijeff, JimmyB, HRP, 3WLarry, falcongeorge and the list goes on.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436813962.438231.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436814037.363537.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436814096.843821.jpg

I found this from the HAMB and like them.

What are you running for power? 261 stovebolt , 292 stovebolt or 302 Jimmy?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jeff, Pat has 2 of the smaller ones, and a pair of the correct ones, that Squeak Bell picked up on his trip back to NZ. We will see what surfaces in the coming months. Pat\'s Rotoflo shocks.jpg

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Volvo, The mock-up engine is a 216, Pat and Bob McKray are working on a Wayne head Chevy, like the original. Thanks again to all of you that are interested in this project.

27. mike bowling

mike bowling

That body is CHERRY! What a start! Definitely watching! ( lots of pics, please)

Stogy likes this.
  28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Are you gonna run a dipper motor with a Wayne head?
    Wicket

I like the T-33 build, that too runs a Wayne head.

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

You guys are going to be sick of pictures before we are done ! BTW we have procured the correct cowl for that nice body.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The engine is not my department, I am sure Pat will fill in the gaps, as time allows.