Register now to get rid of these ads!

Space age answer to jet-age problem... or, I made sumthing..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burndup, Sep 1, 2003.

1. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Disclaimer: I'm not a machinist, but I play one on daytime TV... Riiiight.

The Hooptilactica almost runs perfect with the new old carb, and when I had the intake manifold off, I JB welded up the holes that allow actual exhaust gas to blow onto the carb base... But driving it on the freeway trying to get up to 90, the problem recurred slightly. (running a little crappy) Also, when the car was shut off, and the engine heat was allowed to saturate the induction, the problem also came back but went away once some air was able to go thru that massive grill. So I decided I still need a thermal insulator under the carb.

Now, actual phenolic has formaldehyde in it, and destroys tooling, so I went with teflon. If my intake manifold gets a tad hotter than 700 deg F, THEN I'll be in trouble!

[​IMG]

Half an inch thick, and impressively heavy...

[​IMG]

I just traced a gasket with a scribe, then filled in the groove with sharpie marker. And went off track in many places...

[​IMG]

slowly but surely chewing the final form out... the stuff cuts like buttah...

[​IMG]

More chewing... cutting round stuff is a major beeeyotch, I might add... Also, another PITA and consumer of time was that I had to use about 7 or 8 clamping arrangements over the course of this work, depending on how big the piece started out, where I was cutting, etc... and then the time to figure out all those "positions." Good thing I had caffeine. Teflon chips are great cause they don't slice you!

[​IMG]

There it is... its not very pretty, but thats OK cause neither are most of you all... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These may look like a multitude of "fuck ups" to you, but thats just your untrained eye deceiving you! These are actually another BURND SPEED EQUIP. CO., exclusive, patented "HI-TEK, Flow Bench Proven Velocity Enhancing Ridges(tm)." The impressive results of several heavy minutes of R&D time...

Actually, yeah, I have to hit those with the dremel and smooth them out... I left a little extra room just for that reason... I coulda sprang for a rotary table and made really pretty cicular cuts, but simply don't have an extra few hundred bucks that I can't think of a better use for....

So, we shall see....

Later,
    J

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Carefull! You're gonna put Moroso outta business! [​IMG]

3. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I heard that if you put the pen markings side down, it will flow smoother.

4. SKR8PN

SKR8PN

Not to be a smartass or anythin' but....why didncha just use a hole saw to cut/drill out the four big holes [​IMG]

5. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Didn't have one the right size!

6. Kustm52

Kustm52

Making what you've got work...nothing wrong with that. Good job...have you tried it to see if it works? To the critical naysayers...how about posting some pics of some parts you have made lately???

Brian

7. SKR8PN

SKR8PN

Not trying to be critical or a naysayer.Just pointing out a simpler way to get to the same place.I have had to build that piece a time or two......And if'n ya want to see some pics,try http://photo.starblvd.net/SKR8PN
    pages 1,2,and 3 [​IMG] and no,it's not done yet.... [​IMG]

8. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Haven't tried it yet, the next scheduled tear down happens as soon as a parking spot opens up ACROSS the street, buys me an extra day till the street sweeper rolls around again and I have to have it running... ain't no pushing this beast!

9. wow dude. you saved yourself like 20 bucks. how many hours do you have in it? it would run better if it was one big open hole i think, but this should at least get you in the 18's and give ryder a run for its money.

10. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

3 and a half hours... what most people waste on TV every day.
    Worth it just for the practice running the mill.

Yep, 20 bucks that I don't got, but I saved it, just the same as earning it. Shit, thats a bottle of jack and a pack of smokes, if they're all on sale!I needa pimp this muthafuckan caddy out and sell it to some foo so I can buy another crx so I can run 12's! [​IMG]

Uh, I mean, a olds 455 so my A can run 11's! (first engine I ever tore apart...)

Anybody got any gold Daytons they wanna let go cheap?

Hey, my Rydeme(tm) truck is still cooler than anyone else's!

Just kiddin,
    J

11. Germ

Germ

Do you have any Cocaine?

12. wow, whats that work out to a little over 5 bucks an hour? doesnt ups send you contigency checks? maybe deliver a couple extra packages a day and you can buy a nice spacer? what are you going to run for gaskets? maybe you could cut some out of an old 12 pack box and save yourself 2 bucks. i hope that material you used is gas proof, otherwise you might have to change your name to BURNDUPUPS.