Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Southern polyurethanes (epoxy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34superchargered, Sep 23, 2018.

1. 2222

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Been using their products for over 15 years and never had an issue. Maybe the guys your talkin to are hammering it on or not letting it induce properly. Have seen many I've painted years ago and no problems.
    If ya do have a problem, just call Barry (the owner) and he's always very helpful.
    Just my 2 cents.

tb33anda3rd and gimpyshotrods like this.
  3. chargin03

chargin03

I used their products on my two cars several years ago with no issues.Would use it again great products.

4. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Some of the “PRO” painters have the most issues as they become a bit cocky and take some liberties with instructions while some of the amateur back yard guys will follow directions to the T

RusTnut, gimpyshotrods and X38 like this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do a search here on Southern Polyurethane, see what you get.

6. XXL__

XXL__

Maybe you can edit your original post so it doesn't read like you're badmouthing the company without having direct experience with the product.

da34guy and gimpyshotrods like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are not helping anyone. SPI products are widely used by folks on this board, including myself.

Whomever primered it did not know not to paint over unset body filler. That's them, not SPI.

I am going to as a moderator to delete this thread. It is blaming a rookie body man mistake on a reputable vendor.

da34guy likes this.
  8. If the OP has never used it, he outta keep his mouth SHUT

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thread reported. Others, please report it too.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hear·say
    ˈhirˌsā/
    noun
    1. information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate; rumor.
      "according to hearsay, Bob had managed to break his arm"
      synonyms: rumor, gossip, tittle-tattle, idle talk; More
      • LAW
        the report of another person's words by a witness, usually disallowed as evidence in a court of law.
        "everything they had told him would have been ruled out as hearsay"

11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I think the thread should stay maybe more people will chime in with issues they have or haven’t had with the product, maybe people will come out the wood work like a Harvey wienstien case...

The leaving the bondo sit for a day statement is a bit concerning to me , but it wouldn’t be common for me to put epoxy on top of bondo either i guess , sometime wierd stuff has happened sometimes formulas change , other times failures are lack of common sense or understanding limits of products and material

I started using slick sand primer over 10 years ago , at that time they said it was good for direct to metal, some high end shop took those instructions to heart and primered a whole bare steel car , it lifted , can doesn’t say that anymore, I still use it , and I haven’t experienced a failure like that .. yet

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  12. larry k

larry k

S P I Has never let me down in 15 years of every day use ...and yes I ran a body repair shop for 37 years . Nuff said !

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. I wonder how many body shops let sanded filler sit for 24 hours before applying any paint? As a business?

14. i have seen problems with a few epoxy products. reps have explained to me that, do to the new voc requirements for the epoxy products they do not work like they used to. they ALL need to be sprayed with one light coat and allowed to dry completely. it happened to me and i have seen it happen to other "seasoned" body men that use it the way we always have. the product changed, we need to change.

15. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Very possible, I used Ppg in the old days when it had lead in it , when they went lead free price went way up and everyone complained about it , about that time me a friend started using ppg industrial epoxy primer , mixed and smelled and acted the way old DP was and I have used that for last 12 years, even though the paint rep says I can’t use that for automotive... well it is half price after all!

tb33anda3rd likes this.